Need advice on Dead Animal through Delta Dash. - FaunaClassifieds
FaunaClassifieds  
  Tired of those Google and InfoLink ads? Upgrade Your Membership!
  Inside FaunaClassifieds » Photo Gallery  

Go Back   FaunaClassifieds > Reptile & Amphibian - Business Forums > Shipping

Notices

Shipping Forum for all issues concerning shipping, shipping companies, and anything directly related to moving animals and products via commercial carriers.

Old 02-23-2005, 01:41 AM   #1
MattP
Need advice on Dead Animal through Delta Dash.

Hi,

About a month ago I bought an Abino boa and it was shipped Delta Dash. It was guaranteed for live arrival, and when I opened the box at the counter........ the snake was dead. The guy gave me the claims forms and I sent them to delta along with photos and emails of the transaction. My problem is that I still have not heard from Delta. I call the number from the website about cargo claims, and all it is is a recording. I have left all my phone numbers, email address, and fax number on the recording, but they still have not got back to me. What can I do to get my money back? Has anyone else been in a situation like this?

Any help is greatly appreciated,

Thanks,
Matt

Old 02-23-2005, 09:44 AM   #2
Mark and Aimee
Call Delta Cargo (not the claims number), and press "0" until you get a live person. Ask about your claim. If they can't help you, ask for a supervisor. Continue this process until you get answers. Keep working your way up until you find someone who knows something.

Old 02-23-2005, 04:16 PM   #3
Ken Harbart
Unless the death was due to a delay or gross mishandling, they are not liable for d.o.a.'s, regarless if the package is insured.

It's probably going to take another month or so for you to receive a denial letter, as they are most likely still investigating the claim.

Old 02-23-2005, 04:55 PM   #4
MattP
Thanks for the replies,

So Ken, you say my claim will be denied? I finally talked to someone and they said my claim is being reviewed, and it will take a minimum of 3 months. What's the point of paying insurance and guaranteeing live arrival if they deny the claims? If they don't get me my money back, hopefully the guy I got the snake from will give me credit........

Thanks,
Matt

Old 02-24-2005, 01:17 PM   #5
MR_Jungle_Mist
I would think in this situation it wouldn't really be up to you to look into. It would be up to the shipper. If you got a live arrival guarantee then it would have been from the shipper and, in my mind, he is the one that should be handling the claim. The shipper is the one that gave the guarantee (I would think) and that's who you should get your money or replacement animal from.

Not only that...you might have paid for it but as far as Delta is concerned you are not the shipper and it shouldn't be your concern. They'll have to take it up with the shipper and that is who they will refund to if a refund (or insurance claim) is given.

Not really the type of answer you were looking for but thought I'd throw in my two cents.

Good luck with it all.

Old 02-24-2005, 05:54 PM   #6
jim0602
This happened to me approx 2 years ago. I was the receiver of a large order from a wholesaler out of Florida. It took around 6 months of constant griping and complaining. It wound up to the point of I was calling every day. They finally gave me a full refund including shipping charges. it did take for ever it seemed and being a small business that I am it hurt to have over 2 grand in prepaid animals not in inventory. Now when we ship out of delta here they open the package and inspect that the animal is alive when it is dropped off. You might check and see if it was inspected prior to shipping. Even if it was it will still take months.

Jim burns

Old 04-18-2005, 04:57 PM   #7
MattP
Update!

My Claim was denied! Delta Dash said that the package was not packed properly. They said it was supposed to be packaged to withstand 48 hours in their care. Now I'm contacting the shipper............

Matt

Old 04-18-2005, 06:24 PM   #8
Chris@TSE
And did they say they're source for this information, more specifically how did they come to the determination that it was not packaged properly? Was it sent in an insulated container with 40-60hr heat packs? Cushioned? I find this reason for denial a bit odd, especially if the shipper is a certified delta shipper. Then again I've come to learn that Delta will blame anyone and anything aside from themselves........ Good luck!! Keep us posted....

Old 04-18-2005, 06:33 PM   #9
MattP
The shipper did not pack a heat pack and it was shipped in early january..................

Join now to reply to this thread or open new ones for your questions & comments! FaunaClassifieds.com is the largest online community about Reptile & Amphibians, Snakes, Lizards and number one classifieds service with thousands of ads to look for. Registration is open to everyone and FREE. Click Here to Register!