Adult Male not eating - FaunaClassifieds
FaunaClassifieds  
  Tired of those Google and InfoLink ads? Upgrade Your Membership!
  Inside FaunaClassifieds » Photo Gallery  

Go Back   FaunaClassifieds > Reptile & Amphibian - Lizard Discussion Forums > Bearded Dragons Discussion Forum

Notices

Old 08-24-2011, 08:48 PM   #1
Snake-Queen
Question Adult Male not eating

Hi, I need some tips on how to get my adult male to eat again. He has not been eating well for about 3 weeks now. Before he would eat anything and everything. Now it is all I can do to get him to eat a few crickets.

Before, you say it.... yes I have already taken him and one of my females to the vet. I was so worried about him after his tank mate died.

All my adults are currently being treated for pinworms... (darn crickets)
I have tried superworms, discoid roaches, his favorite greens, mealworms, soldier fly grubs, grapes... you name it, I have tried. I even got some pellets.

Has anyone had this happen to their males?

I really don't want to force him, but I don't want him to die either. He is more than a breeder to me, he is my pet.

Old 08-24-2011, 11:16 PM   #2
Cache Reptiles
Has he lost any weight at all?

Old 08-24-2011, 11:33 PM   #3
Snake-Queen
It feels like it, the base of his tail is not as plump as it used to be and his body has lost some of the fullness. Nothing to dangerous yet. I may be overly worried. I tend to do that on occasion.

Old 08-24-2011, 11:43 PM   #4
Cache Reptiles
Make sure to keep him well hydrated- that's the biggest thing. When they stop eating, they aren't receiving any hydration at all so keeping him hydrated is vital.

If he's not eating, he body is going to feel empty. But this doesn't necessarily mean that there's something wrong. Sometimes (usually during breeding season), some males (and only males...the females almost always eat) will fast and then slowly pick their appetite back up.

If he hasn't eaten in three weeks and hasn't lost weight though, I highly doubt that it's parasites.

Old 08-24-2011, 11:54 PM   #5
Snake-Queen
I am treating him and all of my adults, because normally, when one has them they all do.

I give him a "bath" every other day. I also mist him twice a day.

So I guess I am being a worry wart.

Join now to reply to this thread or open new ones for your questions & comments! FaunaClassifieds.com is the largest online community about Reptile & Amphibians, Snakes, Lizards and number one classifieds service with thousands of ads to look for. Registration is open to everyone and FREE. Click Here to Register!

Tags
not eating