No vet anywhere by me turtle has bad shell rot need help - FaunaClassifieds
FaunaClassifieds  
  Tired of those Google and InfoLink ads? Upgrade Your Membership!
  Inside FaunaClassifieds » Photo Gallery  

Go Back   FaunaClassifieds > Reptile & Amphibian - General Discussion Forums > Veterinarian Practice & General Health Issues

Notices

Veterinarian Practice & General Health Issues Anything to do with veterinarians, health issues, pathogens, hygiene, or sanitation.

Old 03-28-2014, 08:03 PM   #1
Levi4turtle
Exclamation No vet anywhere by me turtle has bad shell rot need help

My turtle had had shell rot for over a week now I tried posting in different forums but nothing yet. I live in northern Michigan and I tried looking on google for a vet but all my search results came up with nothing The closest one is 3 hours away and I cannot drive that far with my work hours and paying for gas and vet bill will be too much. I have a big truck so it will be over 100 just for gas its not cheap up here at 3.89 a gallon for regular and 4.09 for premium which I have to use for my truck. Any help will be appreciated a lot its my 5 year olds turtle he loves him and I'd hate to see anything happen to him. Thanks

Old 03-28-2014, 08:48 PM   #2
Lucille
http://www.yellowpages.com/cheboygan...rinary-clinics

Call several of the vet offices listed above and ask for a referral to a vet with reptile experience close to you.
I hope your turtle recovers soon.

Old 03-29-2014, 09:04 PM   #3
Levi4turtle
I called around yesterday and found the only vet is over 3 hours away theres no way I can drive that far, there's nothing else I called over a dozen vets and all said the same place that's 3 hours away. I live where there's nothing even normal big stores are a hour away. I don't know what to do now, I have a sick turtle and cant do nothing, I posted stuff to see if someone might help that's the only way I can get him help. Thanks

Old 03-29-2014, 10:42 PM   #4
hadenglock
Why do you think the turtle has shell rot?

Old 03-30-2014, 11:16 AM   #5
Levi4turtle
It has a dark rotting looking spot it looks like it rotting from inside its very soft it flexes with little pressure. and if I was to put much more it would bust through. It looks brownish color like rotting fruit. It looks like that turtle that the one guy posted on the turtle and tortoise form above my other post. his turtle looks like it has same problem. I tried posting pic to my ad and didn't work.

Old 03-30-2014, 11:33 AM   #6
Levi4turtle
heres the pic I found that the one guy posted it is almost the same as mine is I saved pic to comp that's the only way I could show what it looks like and mine has more of a circular pattern and hasn't spread at all. it feels like theres a small layer that's semi hardish that is stopping it from going through like a thin layer of paper I guess. but its super soft and flexes bad my turtle is over 3 inch and about 3 plus years old. and it was always solid too. Hope this pic helps I will keep trying to get my camera to link to my comp to get pic of mine. thanks
Attached Images

Old 04-01-2014, 01:38 PM   #7
hadenglock
I don't know what to tell you, you can try increasing the heat in the tank, make sure he's under a powersun bulb to ensure proper heat and uv, and keep the water clean. other than that without a vet, there's nothing else you can do. You can try a sulfa dip that they have at pet stores, but they usually don't work as well as prescription medications will.

Old 04-05-2014, 03:15 PM   #8
Magic
Do you have any herp clubs in your area?

Many clubs or keeper groups have valuable insight and knowledge to help you with your husbandry.

One of the members may also be able to do a ride share. It never hurts to ask.

Seeing as how you don't have a pic of your turtle, only one pulled from the internet, I don't think anyone can help besides a vet.

Old 04-05-2014, 03:17 PM   #9
Magic
....and if you're from northern Michigan, you need to change your location. PM a mod.

Join now to reply to this thread or open new ones for your questions & comments! FaunaClassifieds.com is the largest online community about Reptile & Amphibians, Snakes, Lizards and number one classifieds service with thousands of ads to look for. Registration is open to everyone and FREE. Click Here to Register!