German Giants? - FaunaClassifieds
FaunaClassifieds  
  Tired of those Google and InfoLink ads? Upgrade Your Membership!
  Inside FaunaClassifieds » Photo Gallery  

Go Back   FaunaClassifieds > Reptile & Amphibian - Lizard Discussion Forums > Bearded Dragons Discussion Forum

Notices

Old 09-08-2009, 06:54 PM   #1
ShesCountry89
Question German Giants?

Hello! Quick question, a woman came into my petshop today and told me she seen a woman carrying around a large lizard that she called a "german giant bearded dragon". I looked up pictures, and it doesn't really look any different.

What is the different between a german giant, and other bearded dragons? I know its obviously bigger though. Just curious! Anyone have one? Or heard of them?

Old 09-08-2009, 07:16 PM   #2
spyder79
German Giants are just a bearded dragon morph that was original bred out in germany. it is a vitticeps that was bred to be larger than most. a true german giant (which is almost impossible to come by now) can reach 26 inches in length and over 900 grams. but the term German giant is thrown around quite a bit in the bearded dragon world without proof in the genetic background. Most of the time people have a dragon on the larger side 22 inches or longer and just say its german giant.

Old 09-08-2009, 07:48 PM   #3
ShesCountry89
Ohhh I see, yeah I know people tend to do that. But I heard the term agian today, and the woman said this lizard was bigger than any Bearded Dragon she'd seen. So I was curious, thats a big dragon! Love to have one

Old 09-08-2009, 08:14 PM   #4
spyder79
you have to go with breeders that are willing to show proof of the lines. Like my male from LOD that i got in 07 he is a GG mix so to speak. he tipped at 22" and 650grams but his grandfather was 25" 950 grams

Old 09-08-2009, 08:30 PM   #5
ShesCountry89
22" Is still a very good size for bearded dragon. I am guessing it would be difficult to prove if it had actual German Giant lines. They sound pretty neat though =) I noticed they grow incredibly fast, I rescued a Bearded Dragon not to long ago and it was skinny and in a small tank. Once I had him in a 29gl tank and was feeding him everyday his growth was amazing, and so noticable! He was longer, fatter and altogether larger within just a couple weeks.

Old 09-08-2009, 08:36 PM   #6
spyder79
yeah they do. I have 8 week olds that are at 9.5 inches

Old 09-09-2009, 07:29 PM   #7
Bearded Ambitions
i have a female that i got that has suposed gg blood in her and she grew 2-3x faster than other dragons i got at same time that were older than her.Currently she is just a lil over a yr old now and bigger than my 2 and 4 month old dragons.

Old 09-09-2009, 07:35 PM   #8
Bearded Ambitions
here she is big ol pumpkin.im sorry she wil be a yr old in october she isnt over a yr yet at all.

Join now to reply to this thread or open new ones for your questions & comments! FaunaClassifieds.com is the largest online community about Reptile & Amphibians, Snakes, Lizards and number one classifieds service with thousands of ads to look for. Registration is open to everyone and FREE. Click Here to Register!