Would you Breed? - FaunaClassifieds
FaunaClassifieds  
  Tired of those Google and InfoLink ads? Upgrade Your Membership!
  Inside FaunaClassifieds » Photo Gallery  

Go Back   FaunaClassifieds > Reptile & Amphibian - Snake Discussion Forums > Cornsnakes & Ratsnakes Discussion Forum

Notices

View Poll Results: Would you Breed?
Yes, and hibernate 0 0%
Yes, but feed over winter 3 13.04%
No, wait one more year 20 86.96%
Voters: 23. You may not vote on this poll

Old 11-03-2003, 08:09 PM   #1
Charlie
Would you Breed?

Would any of you breed a yearling (02 hatch) female cornsnake? She is 214 grams and 36'' long.

Charlene
Attached Images

Old 11-12-2003, 03:51 AM   #2
Adam Block
My rules was 3 years and 500 grams. Both had to happen before I would breed. I got 20-25 eggs out of 90% of my first time breeders so it's worth the wait. If you got eggs out of her there would be maybe 8-9 and I think it may stunt her growth.

Old 11-13-2003, 04:13 AM   #3
WebSlave
Well, I have bred females smaller than that, but from the photo, it looks like your animal has a small head in relation to the actual body size. That generally indicates a snake that has been fed at an accelerated rate, making the body grow more quickly then the head.

Personally, I would be afraid that she has gained some fat because of the feeding schedule, and that coupled with being still immature, may cause you some difficulties. Overweight female snakes just don't normally have good muscle tone, and often they will just peter out laying the eggs, leaving the last few still inside when they quit pushing them out from sheer exhaustion.

Yeah, give her another year, and watch the diet. Overweight snakes have all of the problems that are associated with overweight human beings. None of them good.

Don't ever be in a rush to breed your animals. Bear in mind that this is always a potential life threatening situation for a female, no matter what kind of animal it is. So try to stack as many cards in her favor as you can.

Good luck!

Old 11-14-2003, 03:52 AM   #4
Adam Block
Like Rich said breeding at that size does happen. Correct me if I'm wrong but in many cases it's done trying to prove out a trait and saving a year twice like you would need to do, a lot of times is like getting an extra generation or in the very least just a huge time saver.

I've bred 160 gram males but for females from a health and money standpoint (unless it's a rare morph) you're going to be best off waiting.

Old 02-21-2004, 03:21 AM   #5
Slither Factory
I have known people who have bred at this age, but I personally would wait another year and allow her to gain additional weight and maturity.

I understand the desire to want to breed your critter....but time and patience will bring you great rewards (and better results).

Just my thought on the matter.

Old 02-21-2004, 02:16 PM   #6
Skye
I have bred ones that were that weight, but never ones that were that young. I would wait another year. I decided my light ones that I have bred were just small naturally as they were definitely old enough, and healthy enough.
Breeding too young will not only tend to give you smaller clutches, it may also affect longevity.
Skye

Old 02-26-2004, 01:54 PM   #7
Rattlesnake
From a health standpoint, it would be far better for the snake if you waited until she is at least 2 yrs old. Also, more of the young would have a better chance of surviving.

Join now to reply to this thread or open new ones for your questions & comments! FaunaClassifieds.com is the largest online community about Reptile & Amphibians, Snakes, Lizards and number one classifieds service with thousands of ads to look for. Registration is open to everyone and FREE. Click Here to Register!