Crickets 'n Mealworms - FaunaClassifieds
FaunaClassifieds  
  Tired of those Google and InfoLink ads? Upgrade Your Membership!
  Inside FaunaClassifieds » Photo Gallery  

Go Back   FaunaClassifieds > Reptile & Amphibian - Lizard Discussion Forums > Geckos Discussion Forum

Notices

View Poll Results: do you raise your own feeder insects?
Crickets 2 14.29%
Mealworms 8 57.14%
Both 2 14.29%
Other 5 35.71%
buy from distributor 3 21.43%
Multiple Choice Poll. Voters: 14. You may not vote on this poll

Old 03-31-2004, 02:01 AM   #1
riverjop
Crickets 'n Mealworms

OK! How many of you out there in Geckoland raise your own Crickets, Mealworms, Both or other things?

Old 03-31-2004, 02:38 AM   #2
Clay Davenport
I raise roaches for feeders. For me they are the only insect worth raising.
I did breed crickets for a while, but that's just a hassle all around.
Mealworms are ok I guess. It doesn't take much effort to raise them, but the production rates are fairly low to me, and they aren't worth the trouble for what you get in a feeder.
If I quit raising roaches, I would give up insectivores. No way I'm ever going back to buying thousands of crickets per month. I haven't purchased a bug in 2 or 3 years now.

Old 03-31-2004, 03:11 AM   #3
odatria
Heres a great article on breeding crickets.

I breed my own crickets....well, sort of...

I buy several thousand adult crickets a week and I place layboxes in with them. I replace the boxes every other day. The eggs hatch out in about a week and then the real fun begins. Raising baby crickets is a chore. But if you get the hang of it, you can save yourself thousands of dollars a year on your food bill. I know I do, as I no longer have to buy small crickets. Im getting ready to move to a place with a large detached building and plan to breed crickets on a larger scale at that time. Keep in mind that breeding crickets for a handful of herps is impractical. It can be alot of work. However, if you have hundreds of hungry mouths to feed the work is well worth it.

I learned how to breed crickets by following the instructions in this article. The only thin I really changes is that I do not use cardboard boxes.

http://www.chameleonnews.com/year200.../crickets.html

Don Wells has a wealth of lnowlege relating to herpetoculture. If I remember correctly, he helped invent Miner-all too. Very nice guy and not shy about sharing information. He recently moved to Indonesia and is breeding large chams and other herps.

If anyone has any other advice about breeding crickets I would appreciate it if you would share it.

Thanks.

Old 03-31-2004, 08:10 AM   #4
robin d.
i buy any crickets i feed, i also buy my waxies... my mealworms i buy and i raise my colonies are getting good and started so it will help out with all the hungry mouths i have over here.

Old 04-01-2004, 10:53 PM   #5
shuler06
I have a staple of Superworms and just recently my first batch of Silkworms has reached fedding size.

Tim

Join now to reply to this thread or open new ones for your questions & comments! FaunaClassifieds.com is the largest online community about Reptile & Amphibians, Snakes, Lizards and number one classifieds service with thousands of ads to look for. Registration is open to everyone and FREE. Click Here to Register!