Not eating gecko... update - FaunaClassifieds
FaunaClassifieds  
  Tired of those Google and InfoLink ads? Upgrade Your Membership!
  Inside FaunaClassifieds » Photo Gallery  

Go Back   FaunaClassifieds > Reptile & Amphibian - Lizard Discussion Forums > Geckos Discussion Forum

Notices

Old 04-01-2004, 05:30 PM   #1
lostkauze
Wink Not eating gecko... update

Last week I posted about my new gecko not eating. We'll I've made the GoldenGate Smoothy, and I have enough to last for a very long time. Where'd you come up with that recipe?

Well, my girl eats that with much love, and not too much of a hassle. She's starting to eat crickets, but no feeder worms yet, unfortunately. She's been pooping, which is also good. I'm going to take her to a vet this week just so I know she's healthy.

How long can I keep her on this formula? And is it safe to give as a treat to my other geckos?

Things are making a turn for the better, and that makes me happy.

Michael

Old 04-01-2004, 09:21 PM   #2
Zippy
Smoothy

What's the goldengate smoothy?? My gecko stopped eating this week and I'm at a loss at what to do!

Old 04-02-2004, 06:40 AM   #3
lostkauze
Here ya go

This is Marcia's recipe. Here you go.

In a blender, combine:
1 small can Hill's A/D pet food (available at most vets)
1/4 cup Ensure (not chocolate)
1/4 cup pedialite
1 jar baby food squash or 1/4 cup plain canned pumpkin
1/2 tsp. each calcium powder and herp vitamins
2 crushed tablets or 2 opened capsules of milk thistle (found at most places that have vitamin and herb supplements - it is a liver purifier)
* a handfull of mealworms puree'd with this mixture if you can deal with that!
- Pour slurry in ice cube trays and freeze, thawing out only what you will use in a few days.

I don't realy know the reason behind this, and I made it to stimulate appitite in my girl who wasn't eating for a while. I'm not sure if a week is a long enough time, or even if there is a time period before you should get worried. I modified this a bit, used gel milk thistle and cut it open, ½ of ensure, couldn;t find pedialite, and I added some meat baby food. Works good though. Might want to get advice from someone with more knowledge.

Old 04-02-2004, 07:04 AM   #4
Zippy
thanks a bunch! I'll go shopping today.

Old 04-02-2004, 11:14 AM   #5
Sybella
Michael, Did you put it in a dish or did you hold your girl and dropperfeed tidbits on her nose? I'm asking because when I used it, my girl didn't really like being held and made to lick the stuff off her face...but, if she'll eat it out of a dish, that would be less stressful. I didn't even think to try that because I thought, if it wasn't "moving" leos wont eat it.

Old 04-02-2004, 05:25 PM   #6
lostkauze
held her

No, this girl is amzingly docile. She runs up to the tank front when I'm in the room and loves to be handled. I let her crawl on my palms, and when she gets comfortable, put my tumb over her back, and if she doesn't move, I'll drop some formula on her nose, it takes a while for her to be perceptive, but once she starts lapping it up, its hard to stop her. She'll eat a bit, crawl, give me time to refill the dropper, and will eat again. If she seems stressed, or runs fast or starts shaking her head, I stop and try more later in the day. Low stress situations.

Also, I didn't think of putting the formula in a dish. My solution was rather liquidy... maybe I messed up somewhere. And I found that if I left it out, it turned a grey-ish color. So I thaw the cubes out, then refigerate them.

Join now to reply to this thread or open new ones for your questions & comments! FaunaClassifieds.com is the largest online community about Reptile & Amphibians, Snakes, Lizards and number one classifieds service with thousands of ads to look for. Registration is open to everyone and FREE. Click Here to Register!