snow leopard gecko question - Page 2 - FaunaClassifieds
FaunaClassifieds  
  Tired of those Google and InfoLink ads? Upgrade Your Membership!
  Inside FaunaClassifieds » Photo Gallery  

Go Back   FaunaClassifieds > Reptile & Amphibian - Lizard Discussion Forums > Geckos Discussion Forum

Notices

Old 04-03-2004, 12:11 PM   #11
montezuma
crossed?

Marcia,
Is that crossed with a rainbow? It has some of the goldish colored spots... I like it!

Old 04-03-2004, 12:13 PM   #12
beakgeek
Quote:
Every bit of a leopard gecko is governed by genes, it is all genetic.
I attended a seminar yesterday on the effects of environment on children and one of the speakers - Dr. Peter W. Nathanielsz was talking about how environmental effects on human fetus can overide genetics. He showed several recent studies with rats - I know not geckos - that showed how the health of the mother, as well as other external factors, during gestation could change things like color, size, etc.

The thing that ties in with geckos, for me at least, was genetic traits could be overidden by other factors.

Since we know that tempertature is a huge factor in Leopard Geckos, sex determination, brightness in color, it might not be all about genetics. Other factors, what those are I am not certain, could play a role in all of this.

BTW - I know Justyn Miller likes to have discussions like this so I thought this was appropriate. ;-)

Regards,

Terry

Old 04-04-2004, 04:21 AM   #13
Leo Lover
I only know of 2 breeders who breed snow leos and they are Albey and Cody (Pro Geckos)

Not too many people breed them as I hear that when you breed snows together you get a mix of light colored snow, darker ones, and ones that look yellowish or grayish still. I've been thinking about breeding them, but I'm in no big rush. We'll see. Maybe in a year or two I will.

I have a grade A+ female snow. She has never darkened with age and she is at least 3 or 4 years old. She's very white. In fact her father is the best snow male that Albey has in his stock.

Shayna

Old 04-04-2004, 05:13 AM   #14
Intense Herpetoculture
Yes, traits can be overidden by environmental factors, but if you look at it this way, the animals genes are built in such a way that they allow them to be overidden by environmental factors.

Also, yes, I do like dissucssions like this. For once on a leo forum people are asking and looking into real questions that require discussion and not ones like "is my leo gay"?

Quote:
Originally posted by beakgeek
I attended a seminar yesterday on the effects of environment on children and one of the speakers - Dr. Peter W. Nathanielsz was talking about how environmental effects on human fetus can
overide genetics. He showed several recent studies with rats - I know not geckos - that showed how the health of the mother, as well as other external factors, during gestation could change things like color, size, etc.

The thing that ties in with geckos, for me at least, was genetic traits could be overidden by other factors.

Since we know that tempertature is a huge factor in Leopard Geckos, sex determination, brightness in color, it might not be all about genetics. Other factors, what those are I am not certain, could play a role in all of this.

BTW - I know Justyn Miller likes to have discussions like this so I thought this was appropriate. ;-)

Regards,

Terry

Old 04-04-2004, 11:42 AM   #15
lostkauze
Pro Geckos

Does Pro Geckos have a website?

Old 04-04-2004, 04:20 PM   #16
Leo Lover
www.progeckos.com

Check to see if Cody has anything. If he doesn't right now, tell him to contact you when he does or put you on a waiting list so that if you really want one, then you have a chance at getting one.

In the meantime keep your eye on a bunch of the classifieds as I see some snows posted here and there every so often.

Good Luck!

Join now to reply to this thread or open new ones for your questions & comments! FaunaClassifieds.com is the largest online community about Reptile & Amphibians, Snakes, Lizards and number one classifieds service with thousands of ads to look for. Registration is open to everyone and FREE. Click Here to Register!