18ft python "captured" in florida - FaunaClassifieds
FaunaClassifieds  
  Tired of those Google and InfoLink ads? Upgrade Your Membership!
  Inside FaunaClassifieds » Photo Gallery  

Go Back   FaunaClassifieds > Reptile & Amphibian - General Discussion Forums > Herps In The News

Notices

Herps In The News Local or national articles where reptiles or amphibians have made it into the news media. Please cite sources.

Old 09-12-2009, 10:20 AM   #1
spyder79
18ft python "captured" in florida

Quote:
NBC -- Florida Fish and Wildlife Conservation Commission officials were at a home in Apopka to remove "a very large Burmese python" on Friday afternoon.

Officials said it was the biggest snakes they had seen in 15 years -- measuring 18 feet and weighing more than 400 pounds. It is 30 inches around.

The snake's name is Delila. According to officials, the snake was left behind by a previous owner and was being cared for by the current resident -- and was fed four rabbits today.

The neighbor, who called wildlife officials, said the snake regularly got out. When officials arrived, the snake was in a 20-by-15-foot enclosure, which they said was too small for such a large snake.

The owner at the home on Section Drive does not appear to have a permit. The snake will be removed from "substandard caging and we will take it to a permitted facility until all of this is sorted out," Hill said.

Burmese pythons are not native to Florida and can grow to more than 20 feet in length and weigh 200 pounds. The species has been in the news recently in Florida, first because of the problem of pythons released into the wild, then because a python strangled a two-year-old girl in Sumter County in July.
I shutter to think of what is going to happen to this beautiful animal

Old 09-12-2009, 04:23 PM   #3
boid99
A 20 x 15 foot cage to small what a bunch of bullshit thats the size of most average homes living rooms. The FWC and government is looking for shit to nail people its turning into a witch hunt and we're all going to have to go underground soon, mark my words! Stock up on ammo folks its time for a revolution soon!

Old 09-12-2009, 09:49 PM   #4
RJK890
Revolution is My Name...

No doubt.

That is why I got out of Giants in May of 07'.
I knew Jan. 08' was just the start.

Old 09-13-2009, 10:42 AM   #5
ZooHerps
Florida Reptile and Amphibian Regulations

Just an FYI everyone on the actual regulation for caging of such an animal in Florida.

To see the full regulation go to
http://www.myfwc.com/LPIS/LicenseDetails.aspx

To see actual Memo this information is from go to http://www.myfwc.com/docs/RulesRegul...egulations.pdf

2) Blood pythons or large constrictors: In addition to requirements for this section, each enclosure shall be provided with an environment or devices that allow for temperature regulation necessary to insure the well being of the species. The environment or devices shall be non-injurious, and may include, but not limited to hot rocks, artificial lights, natural sunlight and heat strips. Each enclosure shall be provided with a non-injurious substrate such as newspaper, processed wood shavings, rocks, sand or indoor-outdoor carpet.
(A) Specimens up to five (5) feet in length. For up to two specimens, a cage or enclosure 2.5 feet by 1 foot. For each additional specimen increase perimeter by 10 %. Constrictors of this size possessed for exhibition or sale are exempt from this minimum cage requirement but shall meet the requirements as indicated for snakes and glass lizards. (B) Specimens 5 feet to 12 feet in length. For up to two specimens, a cage or enclosure with a perimeter equal to 1.25 times the length of the longest specimen. The width of the cage shall not be less than 30 % of the length of the longest specimen and shall not be required to exceed 3 feet. For each additional specimen, increase perimeter by 10 %.
(C) Specimens greater than 12 feet in length. For up
Memorandum to Reptile and Frog Dealers, etc.
Page 6
March 17, 2009
to two specimens, a cage or enclosure with a perimeter equal to the length of the longest specimen. The width of the cage shall not be required to exceed 3 feet. For each additional specimen, increase perimeter by 10 %.

Old 09-13-2009, 11:51 AM   #6
WHKRAZYK
Ive never heard of a 400lb. burmese, and ive been around them since a kid.

Old 09-14-2009, 06:42 AM   #7
Tiger Lilly
Here's a pic

Quote:
Originally Posted by WHKRAZYK View Post
Ive never heard of a 400lb. burmese, and ive been around them since a kid.
I don't know...she does look pretty l-a-r-g-e if you ask me...
18 ft & 30" girth--does it look like it could be 400 lbs?

Old 09-14-2009, 10:51 AM   #8
RyanT
I'm totally ready to go Underground, planning on it, and already there as a matter of fact. None of these inflated media propaganda stories even worry me at all. Eff em, they CAN'T stop us, and they won't.

Old 09-15-2009, 02:49 PM   #9
kmurphy
Quote:
I don't know...she does look pretty l-a-r-g-e if you ask me...
18 ft & 30" girth--does it look like it could be 400 lbs?
It's a big snake but the guy in the front doesn't look like he is struggling too much to hold up the weight and the guy in the back is off balance and on one foot. I think 400 pounds is an exaggeration.

Old 09-15-2009, 03:07 PM   #10
Mooing Tricycle
looks like a nice, well fed animal, and fairly tame to boot.....

Join now to reply to this thread or open new ones for your questions & comments! FaunaClassifieds.com is the largest online community about Reptile & Amphibians, Snakes, Lizards and number one classifieds service with thousands of ads to look for. Registration is open to everyone and FREE. Click Here to Register!