snow leopard gecko question - FaunaClassifieds
FaunaClassifieds  
  Tired of those Google and InfoLink ads? Upgrade Your Membership!
  Inside FaunaClassifieds » Photo Gallery  

Go Back   FaunaClassifieds > Reptile & Amphibian - Lizard Discussion Forums > Geckos Discussion Forum

Notices

Old 03-25-2004, 09:53 PM   #1
rinoa0587
Question snow leopard gecko question

i was wondering how rare snow geckos are. i really like snow leo's but cannot find them for sale. are they a new morph that just hasn't caught on?
thanks much,
ashley

Old 03-26-2004, 04:34 PM   #2
diablohogs
Lightbulb SNOW

its my understanding that its not a morph at all and they have been linebred to look that way.

personally i got excited when i discovered them thinking they were black albinos (anerys). if they are then that opens alot of doors as far as double morphs go including the "true" ghost and snow morphs that you see in corn snakes, hondurans, red tail and kenyan sand boas.

if they are in fact anerys or even if the "snow" is a reccesive trait id really like to know myself. if its just a line bred thing it really doesnt interest me.

if you are looking to get one try albeys "too cool" reptiles. i know they had some and they have some pictures of some really nice ones on there "best of" pages. check it out.

good luck.

Old 03-27-2004, 12:01 AM   #3
MGReptiles
I think your right its just a line bred thing nothing special. The snow breeders on Albeys are really nice though...I have also heard that they darken with age...

Old 04-01-2004, 12:01 AM   #4
geckogod2
i think the snows are awesome looking....i believe it is line bred trait.... just like the tangerines. they don't too much with age..

here are some of mine.......
http://www.printroom.com/ViewAlbum.a...lbum_id=170776

Old 04-02-2004, 04:46 PM   #5
montezuma
Snows...

I breed snows. Truthfully they are nothing but a pastel with very light coloring. Mine don't get darker... I have never heard of that happening before. I was going to attach a pic of my snows but I see I don't have any on the computer already, I will try to take some later and post them.

Old 04-02-2004, 05:08 PM   #6
diablohogs
pastel?

okay but can you define a pastel? how do you make one? is pastel genetic? if so is it reccesive or dominant?

Old 04-02-2004, 05:23 PM   #7
montezuma
Traits

To be truthful I am not positive. I believe that it is would be a recessive trait due to pastels being very close to "normal" coloration and pattern. I have not bred mine out to see.

Old 04-02-2004, 09:33 PM   #8
Intense Herpetoculture
Chad, line bred traits are morphs, just perhaps not simple recessive, dominant, or co-dom. You have to understand that leopard gecko have been selectivly bred longer then any other reptile except the cornsnake. Every bit of a leopard gecko is governed by genes, it is all genetic. Many morphs are poly-genetic and are made of up several genes, including tangerine, hi yellow, snow, and some lines of hypomelanisitc (such as Gourmet Rodent line). The pastels I am working with do not seems to be a simple recessive, dom, or co-dom, but seem to have several linked genes that influence their coloration.

Old 04-02-2004, 10:50 PM   #9
Golden Gate Geckos
pastels...

This is what I consider a "pastel". Please correct me if I'm wrong...

Old 04-03-2004, 12:00 PM   #10
beakgeek
WOW - beautiful Marcia!!!!!!

Regards,

Terry

Join now to reply to this thread or open new ones for your questions & comments! FaunaClassifieds.com is the largest online community about Reptile & Amphibians, Snakes, Lizards and number one classifieds service with thousands of ads to look for. Registration is open to everyone and FREE. Click Here to Register!