Duck/goose hybrid? - Page 2 - FaunaClassifieds
FaunaClassifieds  
  Tired of those Google and InfoLink ads? Upgrade Your Membership!
  Inside FaunaClassifieds » Photo Gallery  

Go Back   FaunaClassifieds > Reptile & Amphibian - General Discussion Forums > Genetics, Taxonomy, Hybridization

Notices

Genetics, Taxonomy, Hybridization General discussions about the science of genetics as well as the ever changing face of taxonomy. Issues concerning hybridization are welcome here as well.

Old 05-11-2005, 08:33 PM   #11
robin d.
oh CAT that evil devil dog!!

anyone ever heard of a "turduckhen"

Old 05-11-2005, 09:34 PM   #12
Cat_72
LOL!!

Side note....."devil dog" is TERRIFIED of my ducks...hehehe....

Old 05-11-2005, 10:02 PM   #13
cthulhu77
Well, it certainly would screw up the kindergarten game...

"duck, duck, duck, duckoose, goose, gooduck...."

Old 05-11-2005, 10:16 PM   #14
Cat_72
Well...never heard of a "turduckhen", bit I have heard of "turkens". They are really really freaking ugly chickens.....they have no feathers on their heads, necks, and sometimes on their backs, giving the odd impression that they could be a chicken crossed with a turkey, which they aren't, lol.

AND...I hatched a bunch for a friend of mine 2 years ago....when they hatch, they aren't all fluffy and cute like most chicks, they are almost nekkid, and their skin is so thin that you can see their innards through it. When the first one hatched, I contemplated sticking it back in the incubator cuz I thought it wasn't done "cooking" yet!

Old 07-01-2005, 04:47 PM   #15
DragonCharm
"Smoke on the water........fire in the pipe...."

Old 07-01-2005, 05:34 PM   #16
robin d.
a turducken is :you buy it at the grocery store... its a hen thats been stuffed with stuffing then put inside a duck which is then put inside a turkey ... you cook it and eat it. lmao

Old 07-31-2005, 07:09 PM   #17
kathie
goose/duck hybrid

I live at the edge of an active pond and noticed a very odd duck and asked the gal next door if she knew what it was. She is an active birder and describes the following. She said when the mallards have paired up in spring, the ponds are left with many frustrated young males. They mount everything including each other. One such male found a large older female Embdene goose and had success. She had 1 male and 1 female. Coloring was exactly that of the mallard, but twice the size. They are too big to fly, and they are more friendly with humans than the wild mallards. The brother and sister are 3 years old, hang out together, and apparently have not bred.

This year there is another oddity on the pond. These are shaped like mallards, I think I am seeing a pair with a baby? The colors are mottled, the female? is white and fawn with a bright green beak. She has no iridescence. The male is dark brown, black, light brown and white with a bright yellow bill. Both young and mature males have a slight deep blue iridescence on the back of their heads and 1/2 of a white chinstrap. All beaks have a black tip. The chick (near full grown) ((assuming it's a chick because I saw this pair long ago without this third bird and they are aggressively protecting it. The adult males rear view looks like a deer fawn, tan with white and brown spots, the younger male has a brown only rump. These birds are 1 1/2 the size of the mallards here. Can't find them in a book, anyone have any ideas about this sub-species? thanks

Old 08-02-2005, 07:02 PM   #18
Reptileking636
I saw something that looked exactly like what you described, and a keeper told me that it was a hybrid.

Old 08-02-2005, 07:38 PM   #19
Junkyard
I too have seen the Duck/Goose hybrid. I used to live near the Orange County Fair Grounds in CA. Right next to it is a pond that split the fair and my place. They have a whole lot of Hybrids. The locals starting calling them Gucks, I personally think that Doose better fit these things, these little turds looked like a goose with a ducks head and neck. They even carried a temper far worse than any goose, heck the geese around there were afraid of them. So in closing, Yes they do exist. :alien:

Old 09-01-2005, 11:53 PM   #20
A_Kendergirl
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cat_72
Well...never heard of a "turduckhen", bit I have heard of "turkens". They are really really freaking ugly chickens.....they have no feathers on their heads, necks, and sometimes on their backs, giving the odd impression that they could be a chicken crossed with a turkey, which they aren't, lol.

AND...I hatched a bunch for a friend of mine 2 years ago....when they hatch, they aren't all fluffy and cute like most chicks, they are almost nekkid, and their skin is so thin that you can see their innards through it. When the first one hatched, I contemplated sticking it back in the incubator cuz I thought it wasn't done "cooking" yet!

I wonder if you are talking about what we called "nakkid-necked chickens". They are the ugliest chickens I've ever seen. Bald heads, necks, and thighs. They were EVERYWHERE when I was living in Panama. Actually, in the 4 years I lived there I never saw a normal chicken.

I'll tell you one thing....those guys had the BEST tasting eggs and meat. It might just be the natural, partially insectivorious diet. That's my theory and I'm sticking to it.

Join now to reply to this thread or open new ones for your questions & comments! FaunaClassifieds.com is the largest online community about Reptile & Amphibians, Snakes, Lizards and number one classifieds service with thousands of ads to look for. Registration is open to everyone and FREE. Click Here to Register!