Egg Bound Northern - Help - FaunaClassifieds
FaunaClassifieds  
  Tired of those Google and InfoLink ads? Upgrade Your Membership!
  Inside FaunaClassifieds » Photo Gallery  

Go Back   FaunaClassifieds > Reptile & Amphibian - Snake Discussion Forums > Pituophis & Drymarchon Discussion Forum

Notices

Old 05-05-2009, 12:43 PM   #1
Bill
Question Egg Bound Northern - Help

This year for the first time, I have a egg bound Northern, she has one egg left down by the end of body, she pushed out 7. It has been 2 weeks and I was hoping she would have pushed it out, there is a huge laying bin in her cage and I have soaked her in warm water but no luck. She is aggressively eating but I was wondering before I make the vet appointment if there is anything anyone else has done that has worked.
I have heard some say it will pass eventually and others say their snakes have died.
Thanks for any help you can provide.

Old 05-05-2009, 10:04 PM   #2
sb1127
I would make a vet apointment ASAP. I had a similar problem with my hognose, she had 2 eggs stuck. An oxytocin shot did not work. My vet anethitised her and pysically manipulated the eggs out.

Old 05-05-2009, 10:23 PM   #3
matt b
i have had the same problem with a southern pine, you could try to push it out yourself but i wouldnt recommend it unless you had some experience with it, i also know that sometimes the oviduct can get twisted and this could cause even more problems. none the less you should take it to a vet, even though she is eating and seem for the most part in good health, you dont want infection to set in due to a rotting egg

Old 05-05-2009, 11:20 PM   #4
Bill
Northern

Thanks for the feedback, I am going to make the Vet appointment tomorrow.

Old 05-05-2009, 11:29 PM   #5
hhmoore
One common cause of egg binding is stool blocking the passage of the eggs. (They aren't in the same place, but they both exit the cloaca...think of two cars moving side by side and the lanes merging into one). I do continue to feed gravid snakes, but stop when they turn opaque for their prelay shed.

Old 05-07-2009, 10:23 PM   #6
Bill
Update

She had her Vet visit today, he decided on puncturing the egg and sucking out the yolk then gave an antiboitic just in case. Hopefully the egg will get smaller and she will pass it. He did not want to take the egg out so not to damage anything internal.
Thanks again for the replies..

Old 05-24-2009, 04:45 PM   #7
cahrens
Hopefully this is all better by now. I had a similar situation with a corn this year. She decided to keep 1 egg. I gave her a few days but no go. She wouldn't eat either. I took a syringe and poked through her skin into the egg and sucked the juice out until it was about 25% of it's original size. She passed it on her own a couple days later and started eating again. She's doing great now although I think she's about to lay again. I didn't want to double clutch her but apparently she has a mind of her own.

Old 05-24-2009, 10:44 PM   #8
Bill
Thumbs up good to go

Yes, my Northern is back in business she passed the egg and other materials..I plan on giving her next season off..

Join now to reply to this thread or open new ones for your questions & comments! FaunaClassifieds.com is the largest online community about Reptile & Amphibians, Snakes, Lizards and number one classifieds service with thousands of ads to look for. Registration is open to everyone and FREE. Click Here to Register!