Cage mates - FaunaClassifieds
FaunaClassifieds  
  Tired of those Google and InfoLink ads? Upgrade Your Membership!
  Inside FaunaClassifieds » Photo Gallery  

Go Back   FaunaClassifieds > Reptile & Amphibian - Lizard Discussion Forums > Geckos Discussion Forum

Notices

Old 05-09-2006, 10:31 PM   #1
Leighanne
Cage mates

I was just searching the web looking for what types of lizards could be kept together. What could live with my Leo? Could a House Gecko live with him? Could a Green Anole live with him? Could a House Gecko live with a Green Anole?

Tune in next time to find out these exciting answers same bat time... same bat channel! But seriously does anybody know the answers to these questions?

Old 05-09-2006, 11:55 PM   #2
A_Kendergirl
Generally speaking, mixing species isn't a good idea. There are too many variables. If you are looking for a multi-species set-up, you need to decide the environment you would like (desert, tropical, etc). Then research for animals that 1. aren't territorial (or at least non-aggressive to other species) 2. have the same or very similar habitat requirements 3. ideally live on a different level than the other occupant (terrestrial vs. arboreal). 4. the sizes are similar or not an issue (a herbivore won't be eating that smaller tank-mate...but it may hassle it) Research, research, research. You have to keep in mind, sometimes they won't bother something the same size as them, but a smaller tank-mate may become lunch.

I don't have any species suggestions for you...never done the research myself! LOL

Old 05-09-2006, 11:57 PM   #3
Th3HiddenGecko
If I remember correctly Tremper stated in his book that Day geckos can be kept with leos.

Old 05-09-2006, 11:57 PM   #4
Tang
neither of those lizards would b good cage mates for a leo. both require higher humidities, and the size dif is dangerous (leos get to b around 10 inches long while anoles get to b around 6 and house geckos get to b around 5). i suppose u could house a house gecko (Hemidactylus ssp.) and an anole together, but most people discourage mixing species at all.

Old 05-09-2006, 11:59 PM   #5
Tang
i dont see whyd ud mix those species. phelsumas need much higher humidities than leos, and do better in vertically oriented enclosures

Old 05-10-2006, 12:02 AM   #6
hhmoore
I wouldn't house green anoles or house geckos with leopard geckos (different husbandry requirements), but they could be housed together. Males of both species tend to be fairly territorial, so you could run into problems there.
Of course, if you really want to make it happen you could set up a cage that meets the requirements of more than one type of lizard (including leos). You just need to factor in temperature and humidity requirements, and add enough size to allow for a merging of both environments...but why? If you really want to do a community style terrarium, I would stick with animals from the same actual environment (not mix lizards from different countries just because they have similar requirements)

Old 05-10-2006, 12:11 AM   #7
Leighanne
Thanx

Again Thank You everybody. We wanted to know. I guess my Fiancee thought that some things could be housed together because the Pet Store had the Anoles in with another Lizard that looked just like it but grey. I donno, but Thank You!

Old 05-10-2006, 09:05 AM   #8
HerpAddict
Probably what your fiance was seeing was an enclosure of green anoles. The females are a dull grey/brown color, and slightly smaller. That's probably why he thought there were two different species in the tank at the pet store.

Old 01-16-2015, 10:50 AM   #9
Night10gail
I've seen green anoles, brown anoles, grass lizards (skink) and green tree frogs work out okay as long as you only have a single male in total between all the animals with plenty of cage space, hides, lamps, etc. You may still have some individuals loose their tails though. I've heard a lot of people keeping White's Tree fogs with other frogs and lizards (like the ones mentioned above) however they like to eat cage mates so once a baby one is grown it needs to be taken out or it WILL eat the anoles. Um... green tree frogs, gray tree frogs, and spring peepers are all found together in the wild at least where I live they do. I love the sound of them all so I want to put a group tank together of those three species. Red-backed salamanders are native to my area too, not sure how they'd mix with the frogs though size wise.

Join now to reply to this thread or open new ones for your questions & comments! FaunaClassifieds.com is the largest online community about Reptile & Amphibians, Snakes, Lizards and number one classifieds service with thousands of ads to look for. Registration is open to everyone and FREE. Click Here to Register!