State by State ads - FaunaClassifieds
FaunaClassifieds  
  Tired of those Google and InfoLink ads? Upgrade Your Membership!
  Inside FaunaClassifieds » Photo Gallery  

Go Back   FaunaClassifieds > Admin Area > FaunaClassifieds Site HELP & Feedback Forum

Notices

FaunaClassifieds Site HELP & Feedback Forum Anything of a nature concerning this website, moderators, admin, or anything having to do with how it is being run, should go here. Criticism is welcome, but abusive antagonism is not. THIS IS NOT THE FORUM FOR FEEDBACK CONCERNING BUYERS AND SELLERS! Such posts are ONLY allowed as replies to classified ads posted by the specific member involved in a specific issue with you.

Old 09-28-2012, 02:39 PM   #1
IMAJACOBIAN
State by State ads

I'm still fairly new to this webpage, but have thought it may be a good resource to have some state by state classifieds for lacey act animals like Burms for example.

Any thought or ideas anyone?

Old 09-28-2012, 02:56 PM   #2
hhmoore
This is a suggestion that is made periodically.
Here is Rich's explanation about why it has not been implemented to date (the post Rich was responding to was rather abusive, so it had an edge to it...just remember, it isn't directed at you)
Quote:
Sure... How much are you willing to pony up to get this implemented? Do you think custom programming is cheap and of no consequence to future updates to the main software of this site? The base software for this forum was not designed to be used in all the ways everyone wants it to be used. So when custom coding is done, not only do I face the expense of the initial coding project, but with every update of the base software, each custom bell and whistle will normally need to be completely recoded again to meet the demands of the changed base software layer. That's why updates are a long time coming here. It's just very expensive to do, and with all of those custom modifications being done, it is fraught with peril because of potential bugs being introduced that could potentially corrupt the database. Besides, creating an effective search algorithm for a free-form string text field is really not a trivial task. To be truly effective, the location info entered during registration or when the member wanted to edit it after relocating would have to be strictly controlled. For instance, you would be amazed at how many people don't realize that the abbreviation for Mississippi is "MS" and not "MI"...

Old 09-28-2012, 03:29 PM   #3
IMAJACOBIAN
Thanks for the quick reply Harold

I didn't realize that it would be that difficult to do, as I'm not a webpage guy and just know my computer basics.

I'm not in any way asking for this to be done, but just throwing out ideas to help people out and maybe make it easier for people to find what they are looking for within their state. We can't change things for the better without ideas

I have actually found this webpage much better than most and screen the forums and classifieds here more than anywhere else. The owner of this page does a great job of providing it as a service for all without charge.

Thanks,

Jacob

Old 09-28-2012, 03:30 PM   #4
IMAJACOBIAN
Sorry, I spelled your name wrong Harald

Thanks,

Jacob

Old 09-28-2012, 03:32 PM   #5
hhmoore
One of the thoughts a while back was using the tag system to aid in State specific searches. It never seemed to take off, and abuses in the tagging led to the system being locked so most members can only utilize an existing group of tags.

Old 09-28-2012, 03:56 PM   #6
IMAJACOBIAN
I wonder if it would be possible to have a section available seperate from the rest of the classified for the state specific but only to the paid membership level. I have read some older threads where people were really against this, but if it would be useful maybe people would use it and the memberships could cover the costs. Just a thought though.

thanks,

Jacob

Old 09-28-2012, 04:08 PM   #7
WebSlave
Quote:
Originally Posted by IMAJACOBIAN View Post
I wonder if it would be possible to have a section available seperate from the rest of the classified for the state specific but only to the paid membership level. I have read some older threads where people were really against this, but if it would be useful maybe people would use it and the memberships could cover the costs. Just a thought though.

thanks,

Jacob
You might want to sit down with a pad of paper and write out how many classified forums we would be talking about to implement something like this. Even just a single separate forum for each state adds another 50 forums on here. Then what out the rest of the world? Would anyone REALLY want, say, the Ball Pythons classifieds to be spread out over 50 to 75 forums they would have to browse through? How many people will wind up placing ads in multiple areas? Would many people really be very happy with that turn of events?

Heck, at one time I used to have separate forums for legislative issues, but it proved to be unwieldy, to say the least, plus much of it went completely unused. Heck, there are still forums on this site now that are very lightly used and barely earning their keep here (via participation), that might get the axe one of these days.

Yeah, having every imaginable bell and whistle on a site like this might sound like a grand idea at first blush, but when practical matters are considered from all possible perspectives that need to be considered, many such ideas just won't float, unfortunately.

Old 09-28-2012, 04:22 PM   #8
IMAJACOBIAN
You do have a good point in the fact that there would be a lot of unused forums/states and duplicate posting. I don't know if there would be a good solution to that except to remain the same and without state specific classifieds. Sometimes it's just hard to find Burms or other Lacey regulated species within a persons home state. Maybe it's just because I alway like what I can't get my hands on, like a nice pair or Sri Lankans.

How about this. What about a single section for regulated species only. Then when people look for them, they would'nt be in the regular section. Of course, then people would probably still double post like you said and put them in the regular section as well.

I don't know, just food for thought.

Thanks,

Jacob

Old 09-28-2012, 04:35 PM   #9
hhmoore
There isn't really a "good" answer, I'm afraid. You could use the search function to narrow down the volume of ads you are seeing...but then you lose the location visibility that you have when just scanning the classifieds. There's always the option of posting a Wanted ad - specifying the state and the species right in the title - and hoping they find you (or that somebody helps make the connection).

Old 09-28-2012, 04:55 PM   #10
IMAJACOBIAN
Your right, but I wish there was a better way. I think if the Burms and such don't get reversed on the Lacey act in the near future, then the number of keepers are going to dwindle down over time and then there wont be any large number of them available just like Indian pythons and then only in certain states. I think a lot of people already hold back from breeding their burms now. I screen for Indians, and Sri Lankans in Ky daily. I do realize though, that Sri Lankans are no longer a recognized sub-species by most and just a locality. They are different though. I have a very strong desire to work with them, as they are extremly beautiful animals and deserve respect.

Sorry, I wondered off there for a moment.

Thanks,

Jacob

Join now to reply to this thread or open new ones for your questions & comments! FaunaClassifieds.com is the largest online community about Reptile & Amphibians, Snakes, Lizards and number one classifieds service with thousands of ads to look for. Registration is open to everyone and FREE. Click Here to Register!