water / nile - Page 2 - FaunaClassifieds
FaunaClassifieds  
  Tired of those Google and InfoLink ads? Upgrade Your Membership!
  Inside FaunaClassifieds » Photo Gallery  

Go Back   FaunaClassifieds > Reptile & Amphibian - Lizard Discussion Forums > Iguanas & Monitors Discussion Forum

Notices

Old 06-01-2011, 06:19 PM   #11
TreeCroc
Look both Salvator and Komodo are in the same subgenus which is varanus, IF salvator was able to obtain more mass "hypothetical" they would indeed top if not match komodos in overall stature. We ( I assume ) know salt water crocs are the biggest reptile, and nile crocodiles are right behind them..this is about as close as you can get for comparison / implacations...also if you look at that small girl she's in the 3.5-4ft range in height - so if this is a real photo this salvator is in the 9 foot plus range - her total lenght is smaller than his SVL, and I imagine he bested her in weight by 30-50lbs..your right he's not that monstrous....

Old 06-01-2011, 06:32 PM   #12
TreeCroc
I tried to find it, but can't right as of now...however years ago the BBC had a clip of a guy in a park in Borneo or Sumatra - can't remember feeding whole goose eggs to 3 of the biggest water monitors I have every seen - if I can find it I'll be sure to post it, or if any other memeber has it or can recall seeing it..the biggest had to be over 9 feet and well in the 80-100lb range..also the guy was a Brit not Asian -

Old 06-01-2011, 09:49 PM   #13
SwampDonkey
Quote:
Originally Posted by TreeCroc View Post
Look both Salvator and Komodo are in the same subgenus which is varanus, IF salvator was able to obtain more mass "hypothetical" they would indeed top if not match komodos in overall stature. We ( I assume ) know salt water crocs are the biggest reptile, and nile crocodiles are right behind them..this is about as close as you can get for comparison / implacations...also if you look at that small girl she's in the 3.5-4ft range in height - so if this is a real photo this salvator is in the 9 foot plus range - her total lenght is smaller than his SVL, and I imagine he bested her in weight by 30-50lbs..your right he's not that monstrous....
Right. Its a tough call with crocs in particular. A state herpetologist told me that in college while in Venezuela, he'd seen the skull of an Orinoco that was around 5ft long and would have belonged to an animal that bested the largest salties on record. His team was contacted down by the people who stole it from a bar where it had been bolted to the wall for many years.

Anywho, it would not suprise me at all to hear that the record holder for "worlds largest monitor" was bounced back and forth between the Sri Lanka animals and the Komodo. I see great potential for outsized SRWMs due to the lush environment and abundant food. The genetic freaks of the species would be able to support their growth quite easily.

Old 06-01-2011, 10:16 PM   #14
TailsWithScales
Quote:
Originally Posted by SwampDonkey View Post
Hmm I dont mean to step on any toes but "water monitors weigh between 2-6 lbs" Thats...not right. They hold the record as longest lizard (and second heaviest) with a reported specimen from Sri Lanka measuring 10ft 3in, no idea of the weight. At 6ft they usually weigh between 20 and 30 lbs, going all the way up to 8ft and weighing 100+. Im not aware of any water monitors that only reach 6lbs, Savannah monitors maybe.
And the animal in the bottom 2 pics is not a Nile, its an Ornate Monitor (V. ornatus)
My large water monitor in the photo was over five foot and she weighed at a guess, well over 20 lbs but she was not "fat". If you have a 6' water monitor weighing over 50+ lbs I am going to bet it's probably over weight seeing as how most captives don't hit above 5 foot usually.
The 10ft 3in water monitor you're speak of, as far as I know was an animal discovered in Sri Lanka and was sent to the Berlin zoo and said to have been killed in the WWII bombings in the 1940's. Since then NO specimens above 8 foot have been recorded. So please don't spit out information that may not be fully accurate.

The longest monitors measured so far have been Varanus komodensis and Varanus salvadorii (crocodile monitor). The Komodo being he longest and most heavy bodied. Just recently as a matter of fact a 10 foot male komodo was caught and weighed.

Captive salvators rarely get above six foot with most not even hitting above 4 foot simply because they're not being cared for to the max. My original post was typed a long time ago and more then likely a typo. My 3 foot water I have now weighs a good 6 lbs, if not more. lol It was meant to say 20-60 lbs not 2-6. Maybe instead of jumping the gun you should have asked?????

Edit: And another thing. Yes I know it's Varanus ornatus (fully documented in 1942) was not made it's own species until 2003 and yes is considered a nile monitor variant in the pet trade. It is a niloticus but the subspecies name was removed upon the full species status in 03. Most however in the pet trade do not know this and only know the animal as a different color form of niloticus. So again I ask instead of calling me out on the carpet on something and trying to prove I am wrong maybe it would have been better to ask.

Old 06-02-2011, 01:15 AM   #15
SwampDonkey
Quote:
Originally Posted by TailsWithScales View Post
My large water monitor in the photo was over five foot and she weighed at a guess, well over 20 lbs but she was not "fat". If you have a 6' water monitor weighing over 50+ lbs I am going to bet it's probably over weight seeing as how most captives don't hit above 5 foot usually.
The 10ft 3in water monitor you're speak of, as far as I know was an animal discovered in Sri Lanka and was sent to the Berlin zoo and said to have been killed in the WWII bombings in the 1940's. Since then NO specimens above 8 foot have been recorded. So please don't spit out information that may not be fully accurate.

The longest monitors measured so far have been Varanus komodensis and Varanus salvadorii (crocodile monitor). The Komodo being he longest and most heavy bodied. Just recently as a matter of fact a 10 foot male komodo was caught and weighed.

Captive salvators rarely get above six foot with most not even hitting above 4 foot simply because they're not being cared for to the max. My original post was typed a long time ago and more then likely a typo. My 3 foot water I have now weighs a good 6 lbs, if not more. lol It was meant to say 20-60 lbs not 2-6. Maybe instead of jumping the gun you should have asked?????

Edit: And another thing. Yes I know it's Varanus ornatus (fully documented in 1942) was not made it's own species until 2003 and yes is considered a nile monitor variant in the pet trade. It is a niloticus but the subspecies name was removed upon the full species status in 03. Most however in the pet trade do not know this and only know the animal as a different color form of niloticus. So again I ask instead of calling me out on the carpet on something and trying to prove I am wrong maybe it would have been better to ask.
Im going to go down the list and correct you. Hope you don't mind but its for the benefit of the readers.

1. Captive water monitors commonly exceed 5ft.
2. There are Sumatran water monitors alive in captivity that are 8ft+. Sri lankan animals, even bigger.
3. Longest monitor on record is still the water monitor. Can you cite some info that says otherwise? I wouldn't doubt a big salvatorii could beat that though.
4. V. ornatus is NOT a subspecies of the Nile monitor.

Old 06-02-2011, 08:14 AM   #16
MDC_Ophiuchus
Quote:
Originally Posted by SwampDonkey View Post
3. Longest monitor on record is still the water monitor. Can you cite some info that says otherwise? I wouldn't doubt a big salvatorii could beat that though.
Call me a sheeple, but I have always heard/read that Komodos held the record for being largest/heaviest, while the crocodile monitors (salvadorii) held the record for the longest. Water monitors were 2nd in weight.

Granted, I have never set eyes on any of these 10 ft Sumatran or Sri Lankan monsters you speak of, but of the 6-7 footers I have come across, water monitors do not seem have especially long tails in relation to their body length, at least when compared to that of say, niles or croc monitors. So personally, I find it even more difficult to believe a water monitor of any locality beating out a croc monitor in length.

Old 06-02-2011, 08:16 AM   #17
MDC_Ophiuchus
Quote:
Originally Posted by TailsWithScales View Post
So again I ask instead of calling me out on the carpet on something and trying to prove I am wrong maybe it would have been better to ask.
I wouldn't sweat it. Apparently, these guys think water monitors are God's freaking gift and salvation to the universe.

Old 06-02-2011, 03:23 PM   #18
TreeCroc
Here's some "salvation" MDC - it's quite clear you know ZERO about varanids. I doubt you have ever kept one. My op stated in a "theory" salvator being capable of getting as large as komodos. Yet YOU could not understand it....Not once did I say they are bigger than komodos. Maybe learn to read and understand before going on about your webdesign bs and shadow making skills...here is more "proof" as well as other varanids you don't understand -
5 year old 8'4 water monitor - still growing...

Captive raised mangrove monitor - another speceis said to only reach on average 4 feet (not by you)

another "only gets 4 foot" varanid - this one is a bluetailed monitor - close to 5.5 feet

since this post has become a pissing contest I'll make it a point that large monitors will and do get large when cared for in the proper conditions. Size "class" has been proved wrong many times over in the past few years by more and more "giants" coming to light.

so to recap - despite what has been said or "for sure"

nile monitors AVERAGE 6.5-7 feet
ornate monitors AVERAGE 7
water monitors AVERAGE 8 feet with some of the locals larger than others
komodos AVERAGE 9 feet
croc monitors AVERAGE 8-9 feet

average being just that -

Old 06-02-2011, 05:38 PM   #19
MDC_Ophiuchus
Quote:
Originally Posted by TreeCroc View Post
I doubt you have ever kept one.
Actually I have. Don't assume too much. We all know what happens when you do!

Quote:
My op stated in a "theory" salvator being capable of getting as large as komodos. Yet YOU could not understand it....Not once did I say they are bigger than komodos.
Your exact quote was "Salvator get huge, with a little more overall mass they could top komodos." Sounds like you were implying they just needed a few more meals and they were there!

Quote:
Maybe learn to read and understand before going on about your webdesign bs and shadow making skills
Maybe you should learn to type better English.

Quote:
since this post has become a pissing contest...
It only became a pissing contest because you guys pulled down your pants and dredged up a thread that hasn't been active in 2 years just to gripe at someone's typo.

Quote:
I'll make it a point that large monitors will and do get large when cared for in the proper conditions. Size "class" has been proved wrong many times over in the past few years by more and more "giants" coming to light.
Fantastic. Hold on a second while I go burn your name on the surface of the moon. I never said otherwise, and I never said I disbelieved you. I just don't believe every photograph someone posts on the internet (even the latest ones).

Quote:
so to recap - despite what has been said or "for sure"

nile monitors AVERAGE 6.5-7 feet
ornate monitors AVERAGE 7
water monitors AVERAGE 8 feet with some of the locals larger than others
komodos AVERAGE 9 feet
croc monitors AVERAGE 8-9 feet

average being just that -
Again....no argument from me on "average sizes" and the potential for "giants" with proper varanid care. If you actually knew me, I try to advocate proper monitor care whenever possible. After a decade of working in the pet industry, I have no tolerance for improper husbandry of any herp.

Old 06-02-2011, 06:27 PM   #20
SwampDonkey
Quote:
Originally Posted by MDC_Ophiuchus View Post
Actually I have. Don't assume too much. We all know what happens when you do!

Your exact quote was "Salvator get huge, with a little more overall mass they could top komodos." Sounds like you were implying they just needed a few more meals and they were there!

Maybe you should learn to type better English.

It only became a pissing contest because you guys pulled down your pants and dredged up a thread that hasn't been active in 2 years just to gripe at someone's typo.

Fantastic. Hold on a second while I go burn your name on the surface of the moon. I never said otherwise, and I never said I disbelieved you. I just don't believe every photograph someone posts on the internet (even the latest ones).

Again....no argument from me on "average sizes" and the potential for "giants" with proper varanid care. If you actually knew me, I try to advocate proper monitor care whenever possible. After a decade of working in the pet industry, I have no tolerance for improper husbandry of any herp.
Hmm, this doesnt seem like a typo:
"Water Monitors weigh between 2 - 6 pounds on average but have weighed as much as 20 in adult captive males."

But you've learned something new, feel free to do some research on your own and expand your understanding rather than being upset about your present knowledge being wrong. Why on earth would you be defensive?

Oh and another monitor that gets huge with the right care is the Black Throat. Ive read in threads from 'experts" that they rarely get over 5ft. Meawhile I own a 1yr old nearly 6ft long, and other giants (7ft+) are all over in private collections.

Join now to reply to this thread or open new ones for your questions & comments! FaunaClassifieds.com is the largest online community about Reptile & Amphibians, Snakes, Lizards and number one classifieds service with thousands of ads to look for. Registration is open to everyone and FREE. Click Here to Register!