nile monitor questions - Page 4 - FaunaClassifieds
FaunaClassifieds  
  Tired of those Google and InfoLink ads? Upgrade Your Membership!
  Inside FaunaClassifieds » Photo Gallery  

Go Back   FaunaClassifieds > Reptile & Amphibian - Lizard Discussion Forums > Iguanas & Monitors Discussion Forum

Notices

Old 01-03-2011, 06:47 PM   #31
MauricesExoticPets
This is a picture of Claudia and Sapphire getting it on.

Its a bad cellphone pic sorry, I'll make an attempt to get better pictures of each, but the pics are still going to be cellphone pics.

Maurice Pudlo

Old 01-03-2011, 07:31 PM   #32
MauricesExoticPets
Sapphire today under halogen floods, picture taken on my Droid, with the setting to incandescent for lights, and macro for focus. No zoom or editing.

Which is the best I can get with my current cell phone, it doesn't exactly show how brilliant and contrasting his colors are.

Maurice Pudlo

Old 01-03-2011, 07:43 PM   #33
star2nv
very cool.have you ever got eggs? my male is 37 inches and i am getting a female tomorrow she is 40 inches.i have had niles since the early 90s.i will post some pics of mine tomorrow.if you would tell me about your cage setup?im just up here in ohio,not far from you

Old 01-03-2011, 09:49 PM   #34
TailsWithScales
Quote:
Originally Posted by MauricesExoticPets View Post
The blue nile if you look closely at the picture appears to have a few discolored scales, this could be nothing, and I totally understand a few stuck shed areas here and there is normal, but in that picture it looks very similar to the beginnings of a bacterial infection.
He probably had a few dull spots simply because he shed A LOT while in my care because of growing. You can actually see some shed on his head. Other then that the only thing I could think of would have been the camera settings were really adjusted (flash on) because it was really dark as the photo was taken in the evening after his lights were off. Every once in a while he'd sleep on the top of the soil in between hides and I'd sneak photos of him.

None of my monitors had any type of skin infections or skin problems at all and all were perfect except for being grossly undersized or something along those lines upon my taking them in from previous owner mistreatment. I've had only two monitors I've taken in on rescue with skin problems and both were kept in their own separate cages in a garage type shed no where near the house or the other animals and they weren't even cared for on the same days /rotation as anything in my collection at the time. One was a water the other a savannah. They didn't come form the same home.

But any way. Just wanted to throw all that out there. Your niles are really beautiful. And yes .................... did you get eggs?

Old 01-03-2011, 11:20 PM   #35
MauricesExoticPets
Yes I did, Claudia produced a total of 12 good eggs the year that picture was taken, we had the babies a little over 3 months prior to selling them. Every one has a microchip implanted that tracks back to me so if their is ever any question about where they came from I can answer if they are in fact mine.

I'll let them do the deed again next year.

I'm going to put together some sort of enclosure build thing that should answer any housing questions. Mainly its 12'x4'x20" per nile, that breeding picture was in a tiny 75g I put them in to show our up coming projects and hawk a few bugs. The niles were great that day, we had a spot right at the entrance. Good times.

I've carted Claudia to a few shows in that 75, she tends to ignore everybody for about 5 hours, then its a bit like she gets fed up with it all. That's about when she gets into the hide and just waits out the rest of the show. Sapphire is usually much more active but not real keen on the whole experience, he will do the whole huff and puff deal if anyone touches the 75 at the shows.

I like their different attitudes, it shows people just exactly the best and worse they can expect from an adult nile.

Maurice Pudlo

Old 01-04-2011, 08:59 PM   #36
star2nv
male is on the wood ,female is under uvb light
Attached Images

Old 01-04-2011, 11:42 PM   #37
MauricesExoticPets
This is Claudia, about as pissed as she ever gets, its all about drama with her.

Your niles are both very pretty, ok handsome for the boy and pretty for the female.

If you get to see them go through the whole mating process, its pretty cool. The males do this quick side to side shaking thing with their head that is for lack of a better term just wild.

If you do breed the pair feed them about 10 to 12% over their daily caloric need for a month prior and continue with feeding the female that way till she produces her second clutch.

I tend to feed FT (fish, rodents, birds, crayfish), live insects, and under 10% of their diet is a mixture of turkey necks chicken leg quarters and heart/gizzard stuff cut into manageable sizes. I rarely do the ground turkey thing, on occasion if something we produce critter wise is particularly mean and bites or is otherwise defective it usually becomes nile food.

All in all if you plan to breed them feed them a bit more than you would to maintain a particular weight or rate of growth and increase humidity, I like to offer them food in several meals over each day giving the added impression that food is plentiful.

I can't say the males are overly aggressive in the mating process, but I have witnessed Claudia pull Sapphire out of a hide she chose to lay her eggs inside. She bit his tail and pulled him away from the nest. He wasn't real keen on that and of course I put him on no girl restrictions for some 9 months.

Maurice Pudlo

Old 01-04-2011, 11:55 PM   #38
star2nv
i would like to see some pics of there cage if you could do that sometime?i realy like the personality of the niles,they can very so much from one another.this female i just got so she still needs to get use to her new home and me but she seems to be quite nice.

Old 01-05-2011, 08:06 PM   #39
MauricesExoticPets
They are full of personality, not always stellar personality as far as pets go, but its a love'em or stay away relationship with niles. Claudia is fairly outgoing, Sapphire is ultra shy, which presents itself as get away from me behavior.

One little care tip, magic erasers do a super job at cleaning up dirty nile.

Maurice Pudlo

PS not blowing off enclosure pics, I'm wanting to do an enclosure thread and post them there.

Old 01-05-2011, 10:01 PM   #40
star2nv
ok ,im not following you on useing the magic eraser.what do you mean

Join now to reply to this thread or open new ones for your questions & comments! FaunaClassifieds.com is the largest online community about Reptile & Amphibians, Snakes, Lizards and number one classifieds service with thousands of ads to look for. Registration is open to everyone and FREE. Click Here to Register!