Anyone here own a pet raccoon or skunk? - FaunaClassifieds
FaunaClassifieds  
  Tired of those Google and InfoLink ads? Upgrade Your Membership!
  Inside FaunaClassifieds » Photo Gallery  

Go Back   FaunaClassifieds > Mammals > General Discussions

Notices

General Discussions This is a general purpose forum open to all topics related to Mammals.

Old 11-19-2009, 03:03 PM   #1
jd93
Anyone here own a pet raccoon or skunk?

I've decided that squirrels aren't a good idea for me since no one really know's too much about their legalities so I've decided to take up a different dream that I've looked into a few different times.

Here's what I've gathered on skunks compared to raccoons:
Skunks

More common house pet
easier to litter train
doesn't have to be kept in a cage
can be harness trained
information is readily available about them as pets
can get along with cats and dogs

Raccoons:

Less commonly kept as pets
can be difficult to litter train
shouldn't kept in a cage if a tame pet is wanted
needs it's own toys to keep it happy
should have it's own room to retreat to
nothing available on harness/leash training
little information available on them as pets
very intelligent
can open a vast array of doors and such
is more mischievous
can be nasty during mating season
can get along with with cats and dogs

I really like both. I haven't heard too much about skunks being too personable, though. Everything I read about raccoons said that as long as they are raised correctly the have to potential to be an affectionate pet. But skunks can be leash trained so that's a good thing, he/she won't have as many changes for health/weight problems if he/she is walked often. A raccoon is a very intelligent creature, from what I've read it would be like having a monkey without the strength or the monkey disposition being that they can open up doors and and learn quickly. I'm currently thinking a skunk would work best for me but feel free to persuade me otherwise. I think i'm going to be a great exotic pet owner and I'm putting my heart and soul into the research so I can give the animal proper treatment and a good diet without encouraging negative behaviors.

Old 11-19-2009, 03:16 PM   #2
JordanAng420
I had a coworker who owned two skunks, and they were some of the most personable and affectionate animals ever. One would sit on her lap and hang out with the other receptionists at the front desk all day. She told me that they like to keep themselves very clean, and they're very much like overgrown ferrets to an extent. I'd flip it on it's back and pet it's belly and it would lick my hand.

I don't know much about keeping raccoons as pets, but I would imagine being that they are very intellegent, that would mean you would constantly have to keep the animal's mind stimulated to mimick foraging and such.

Old 11-22-2009, 01:06 PM   #3
KingBowser
Raccoons are a big pain in the ass.

I had an albino female for awhile. She was the most ornery and mischevious animal I have ever come across. She completely destroyed my apartment and liked to bite. I still miss her from time to time...

Old 05-03-2010, 06:25 PM   #4
Scorpnprincess
I grew up with skunks My family owns 3 now, They are not the pet for jsut anyone lol. We dotn keep ours in cages they have full run of the house, They are litter/paper trained. you cant keep them shut up in a room...They will destroy your carpet trying to get into another room. And they really do not do very well with change.as far as least training we have not had very good luck with that lol, They hate having a leash on. But they are wonderful pets!!! they will climb up on the couch and cuddle
Heres some pictures of them ^.^

Old 05-12-2010, 07:46 AM   #5
lynnelouise
I got my first skunk last spring. I assumed it would be much like a ferret and I have had ferrets before. I am so in love with this skunk. I would say he is more like a cross between a cat and dog than anything like a ferret. He is less destructive than all in my opinion. He has free run of the house when I am home and I keep him in a huge puppy play pen when I am away. He is a wonderful pet....goes on pee pads (never got the litter box down, but pee pads work great). As for harness training....ugh...I am still trying. They have a funny shape and can slip out easily. I also take him with me when I travel in Ohio. He is an awesome hotel buddy and does not make a mess. I am getting another baby in June.

Old 06-26-2010, 11:07 PM   #6
veralidaine
@Scorpnprincess I love the pics, those guys are just too cute. A skunk is definitely on my list of exotic pets I would like to own at one point in my life. I'm trying to decide which animal to get first. Would you reccmomend a skunk as a good introduction to the exotic pet world? So far, I've had two dogs and a cat so I'm experienced with 'domestic' animals.

Old 07-03-2010, 07:57 PM   #7
Scorpnprincess
@Veralidaine Skunks Are wonderful pets! I find they are alot like cats to be honest....However they are not for every one...They need a special diet and they will rip holes in carpets... i never have keapt mine in cages they all have full run of the house. they will pick there own spot to use the bathroom...and i just put paper down or a low litterbox and they use it fine.

Old 07-27-2010, 12:39 AM   #8
Maldesto
wish i didnt live in illinois.

Old 07-27-2010, 09:17 PM   #9
ice#1
a neighbor of mine had one they raised when a tree they had fell and it was only baby coon to survive they kept it not sure how long seemed like a year or so then it started getting into there chicken coop so it had to go they tried to take it aways away but it found its way back in lil over a day so they ended up shooting it cuase they after all took it in to give it the chance to live then it turned on there chickens that they raised to see the eggs

but yes they are very smart can be train to come when called by name open doors windows play with the phone(they found that out cause had a few long distance phone calls made when they were gone at first then had a few more while they was asleep the lady actually woke up on night cause heard allot of noise and found phone of the hook and when she picked it up somebody was talking.

skunks i hear make very good pets if de-scented but even de-scented skunks stink more then what most people want to be around kind of like a ferret but stronger

Join now to reply to this thread or open new ones for your questions & comments! FaunaClassifieds.com is the largest online community about Reptile & Amphibians, Snakes, Lizards and number one classifieds service with thousands of ads to look for. Registration is open to everyone and FREE. Click Here to Register!