The Disturbing Trend of Price Slashing in the reptile hobby/industry - Page 2 - FaunaClassifieds
FaunaClassifieds  
  Tired of those Google and InfoLink ads? Upgrade Your Membership!
  Inside FaunaClassifieds » Photo Gallery  

Go Back   FaunaClassifieds > Reptile & Amphibian - Business Forums > General Business Discussions

Notices

General Business Discussions This is a general purpose forum open to business related topics concerning Reptiles and Amphibians that are neither appropriate for the Board of Inquiry, nor sales, purchase, or trade solicitations.

Old 11-27-2002, 07:04 PM   #11
Neil Gubitz
John.... that's all well and good, but, if you truly thought like that, you'd still be asking $500 for an Albino Tremper Leo?? Then, where would you be?
You've got to know how to change with the times.... in ANY market, the CONSUMER rules! Because Leos, Corns, Balls, and Colubrids are SO EASY to breed.... and so CHEAP to get into.... everybody and their grandmother is breeding them.... the market is FLOODED.... if you aren't able (or are unwilling) to "bend" with the times.... you'll fall flat on your face.... remember, also, that when the retail price goes down, the wholesale market always follows suit.... eventually!

....Neil

Old 11-27-2002, 07:13 PM   #12
jbuncc
neil, i just noticed that you have 9x the posts i do... scary...
lol
later man, jb

Old 11-27-2002, 07:20 PM   #13
Neil Gubitz
Jonathan.... that's just genetics, buddy!.... lmao

....Neil

Old 11-27-2002, 07:24 PM   #14
jbuncc
yeah, i hate being irish...

good one neil!

lmao w/ ya!

jb

Old 11-27-2002, 07:34 PM   #15
John Apple
Neil
You sound like a used car salesman whose only motto is quantity not quality
I have got to learn to change with the times!?!?
While I may not have your wisdom or knowledge, I have been at this sort of thing for pretty much close to my almost[not allmost] 40 years, raising my kids paying for a house and while doing this my animals have evened out moneywise
I had a good assortment of what used to be costly stuff but have moved on to other things
change is good but the animals health should be first[not 1st]
you know the quality thing???

'if you aren't able (or are unwilling) to "bend" with the times.... you'll fall flat on your face....'
cmon man
I have fallen many times the trick is to get back up and move on
Life is an up and down struggle, its the same for the animals we breed , or does your short term remember that??????

Old 11-27-2002, 07:50 PM   #16
Pennebaker
Problem is:
Buyers want quality... with prices too low breeders cannot afford to raise quality, dealers cannot make a profit. We are all in it together.
So, is it really a buyer's market?

As for animals going to the wrong people, all you can do is educate. With wholesaling, know and trust your wholesalers.

As for the poor leos, who will breed them now? Or will they be farmed in Central America? You can only get 1/4 of what adequate care costs. It's a shame.

The market will ebb and flow, but we all have a part in it. And trends are just that, trends.

The idea is to love what we do and try to keep a balance. I vote for keeping up quality. If we dont, we all lose. And every animal rights group will be breathing harder.

Dana

Old 11-27-2002, 07:52 PM   #17
Neil Gubitz
John.... I wasn't talking ABOUT you.... I was just answering your question?? Obviously, you're doing the right thing, when you switch directions every once in a while to conform with what the public wants.... that's the whole point???
It's the folks out there who breed ONE type of animal.... they are going to find a very tough road ahead when all the babies they have sold, start producing hundreds of babies on their own?? The market will get flooded, and then what??? It's already happening with the Corns, Leos, Beardies and Balls.... It's pretty scary, if you think about it....

....Neil

Old 11-27-2002, 08:21 PM   #18
John Apple
Yeah Neil
maybe I misunderstood your post, I am a fighter who loves to fight face to face or pad to pad
I am also very passionate on my beliefs and the animals we all know and love
so... I'll say my apologies for my chest thumping

As far as the folks here who breed one thing, how many color morphs can come from one animal species[just ask RZ] selective breeding should help all of us small timers

Its still quality not quantity

Old 11-27-2002, 08:40 PM   #19
Classic Dum's
I think it has been alot worse lately but I think its got alot more to do with the economy then anything. people are lossing jobs everyone is hurting right now so people are desperate and dumping stuff. Theres been alot more of it lately then I have ever seen. Alot more people wanting to trade stuff and do anything they can to keep money in there pockets. Once the economy turns around I think this will to. When people are hurting for money these are the first things they let go of, all this extra not needed things.

Old 11-27-2002, 08:51 PM   #20
Neil Gubitz
John.... I wish they thought of selective breeding for some of the PEOPLE that visit this site!.... lmao

Now, at least, you're starting to understand why I don't breed anything.... this way, I'm very flexible in the things that I buy for resale.... I have the opportunity to just buy the VERY BEST I can find, from ANYBODY! Breeders, wholesalers, importers, weekend warriors, petshop owners, people off the street, anybody! If they have what I'm looking for.... we'll talk.... Knowing there will ALWAYS be a "market" for THE BEST! The fun for me is looking for them, finding them, negotiating for them, purchasing them, marketing them, selling them, and finally, hearing all the happy smiles through email.... and that's just the internet! The store is even more of a blast! Needless to say.... I have a very good time in the store!....It's the BEST! I wouldn't want to do anything else, no matter what the market does.... I'm very maliable....

....Neil

Join now to reply to this thread or open new ones for your questions & comments! FaunaClassifieds.com is the largest online community about Reptile & Amphibians, Snakes, Lizards and number one classifieds service with thousands of ads to look for. Registration is open to everyone and FREE. Click Here to Register!