Going to start breeding rodents, so have some questions. - FaunaClassifieds
FaunaClassifieds  
  Tired of those Google and InfoLink ads? Upgrade Your Membership!
  Inside FaunaClassifieds » Photo Gallery  

Go Back   FaunaClassifieds > Reptile & Amphibian - General Discussion Forums > Feed, Caging, Supplies & Services

Notices

Feed, Caging, Supplies & Services Discussions concerning the feeding requirements of any of our critters, the cages they need to live in while in our care, and all of the supplies and services needed to do this right.

Old 09-11-2020, 09:09 PM   #1
Randall Turner
Going to start breeding rodents, so have some questions.

I use to breed rats and rabbits a long time ago. Like almost 20 years ago since I actually had more than a pair of rats going. So I was wanting to see what rodent food is recommended these days, as well as where you get it. I appreciate any info that you can help me with.

Old 09-11-2020, 09:48 PM   #2
Socratic Monologue
I get Kent Rodent 23% locally. I like it. No complaints.

https://reptilerapture.net/KENT-FOOD...DENT-DIET.html

It was backordered for a bit, so I got a couple bags of Mazuri shipped. The pellets were smaller; I didn't use it long enough to notice any real difference from the Kent. I just toss food in the tubs, so the smaller pellets weren't an advantage for me.

https://www.countrymax.com/mazuri-rodent-breeder-50-lb/

In years past, I used to use Doggy Bag dog food from Tractor Supply. Rodents (rats especially) typically looked kind of mangy when I fed that. Also, the rodents went through the dog food at a much higher rate, to the point where any cost savings per pound is mostly illusory.

Old 09-11-2020, 10:05 PM   #3
Randall Turner
Thank you. I'll have to look at ordering some Kent food.

Old 09-11-2020, 10:16 PM   #4
snowgyre
FRM makes rodent chow that is available at some agricultural feed distributors. The bags are extremely inexpensive... $15 for 50lbs. I've been feeding FRM exclusively for two years with no issues (including no smelly urine problems). Other rodent feeds don't really come close on the price point.

Old 09-12-2020, 02:15 AM   #5
Randall Turner
Thanks, I'll look into FRM as well.

Old 09-12-2020, 09:19 AM   #6
chrisis697
Ugh good ol rat production, haha. I also use the kent rodent feed that I get at my local agway. Good stuff, dont see any issues in my colony. Good luck Randall.
Chris
B and S Pythons/Facebook

Join now to reply to this thread or open new ones for your questions & comments! FaunaClassifieds.com is the largest online community about Reptile & Amphibians, Snakes, Lizards and number one classifieds service with thousands of ads to look for. Registration is open to everyone and FREE. Click Here to Register!