Soon to be collector and hobbyist has questions - FaunaClassifieds
FaunaClassifieds  
  Tired of those Google and InfoLink ads? Upgrade Your Membership!
  Inside FaunaClassifieds » Photo Gallery  

Go Back   FaunaClassifieds > Reptile & Amphibian - Snake Discussion Forums > Ball Pythons Discussion Forum

Notices

Old 09-06-2012, 10:46 PM   #1
KidBluey
Soon to be collector and hobbyist has questions

For almost two years now, I've been researching ball pythons heavily. Although I owned one as a child, I still consider myself new to the hobby. I've researched their care thoroughly and I've put a lot of time into learning about breeding them, morphs, genetics, their young, health, etc. Next week, I'm hoping to get a copy of VPI's Ball Python Book and Designer Morphs by next week so I can learn anything else I may not already know.

Now for my question. I am on a budget of $1000. Note, this does not include just the snake(s). I will be buying a Herpstat, Heat Tape, Food of-course, Digital Thermometers and Temp Guns, Hides, Water Bowls etc with the money as well. I'm hoping to spend no more than $200 on supplies since I know the Herpstat will be the most expensive thing I buy besides the snake(s). I really don't need a rac k for right now since I only plan on buying 2 snakes at the most for the time being. I really just wanted to know what are some more popular morphs that I can buy between $300 - $800 whether they be dominant, co-dom, or recessive? I know quality is important so I will very much pay higher for a healthier snake that is a better example of the chosen morph?

I also wanted to say that I am in no rush getting into the hobby. I am new to this and I don't really have any big plans for starting a business as of yet. I more so just want to enjoy working with them. If I do start a business, it will be private and tt won't be my main source of income.

Old 09-06-2012, 11:49 PM   #2
stevek123
That's a big question that really only you can answer Cherelle. I'm sure in doing the research you looked at hundreds of pic of Morphs. Start with a list of those you like best. Shorten it. And then shorten it again. Start from there. Starting off with single gene morphs will take time. It's a strategy of grow and breed. Start with at least one two gene morph and you have a head start.

Old 09-07-2012, 01:14 AM   #3
jjhall8
I would recommend buying females to start. They will usually take 1-2 years longer than males to get to breeding size. Super Pastel, Pastave, Fire would be a good way to start.

Old 09-07-2012, 11:36 AM   #4
snakesRkewl
I would also recommend starting with a rack versus any other means of keeping them.
If you're serious about "collecting" nothing beats a rack.

Old 09-07-2012, 11:55 AM   #5
B&C Ball Pythons
I agree w/both points above. I learned this the hard way. Invest in a good rack right off the bat. I got a substandard rack initially and used it for a month before it became a table :P There are plenty of affordable pvc type racks out there that will work great and I absolutely agree w/getting a couple females first. I have had males sitting around for two years while my females are growing up. With your budget you can get a couple single gene females this year, then get a double gene male next year.

Old 09-07-2012, 11:59 AM   #6
Shadera
Quote:
Originally Posted by snakesRkewl View Post
I would also recommend starting with a rack versus any other means of keeping them.
If you're serious about "collecting" nothing beats a rack.
Agreed! You think you'll get two, but so few of us can stay at two. It's a sickness.

Good luck.

Old 09-07-2012, 01:13 PM   #7
KidBluey
Thanks everyone, I really appreciate all the tips. I'll be sure to post pics of whatever I end up buying.

Old 09-08-2012, 04:16 AM   #8
rcpreis3
Quote:
Originally Posted by KidBluey View Post
Now for my question. I am on a budget of $1000. Note, this does not include just the snake(s). I will be buying a Herpstat, Heat Tape, Food of-course, Digital Thermometers and Temp Guns, Hides, Water Bowls etc with the money as well. I'm hoping to spend no more than $200 on supplies since I know the Herpstat will be the most expensive thing I buy besides the snake(s). I really don't need a rack for right now since I only plan on buying 2 snakes at the most for the time being. I really just wanted to know what are some more popular morphs that I can buy between $300 - $800 whether they be dominant, co-dom, or recessive? I know quality is important so I will very much pay higher for a healthier snake that is a better example of the chosen morph?
What age snakes are looking to buy? Hatchlings in 10 gallons for a year or so wouldnt be a bad idea as long as you got the space for them, its how I started. But I tell you right now 2 snakes turns in to 10 real fast when you really get into the hobby. Then outta no where you got 25. So starting off even with a 6 slot rack isnt such a bad idea. If you plan on just having 2 for a while Id highly recommend going to a good local shop and getting rodents there. Most shops have frozen if thats your choice. Plus you save alot on shipping. A herpstat will run ya anywhere from $100- $300 or so. reptilebasics.com and reptilesupply.com is a good place to get all the small stuff like tempguns, hides and croc dishes. (<----- I love crocs!) I would also recommend a scale. But this equipment will eventually run about $100 after shipping, depending on if you buy for the 2 snakes or the next few you will probably get soon after. $100 being an estimate for a few more wather dishes and hides than 2.

As for snakes, world of ball pythons is a good place to look up morphs and combos, see what you like and go hunting in the classifieds. Be sure to research the BOI tho. Also I would agree to start with females and get your males a year or two before the girls should be ready.

Old 09-08-2012, 10:12 AM   #9
Randy F
I do agree with a rack but starting on a budget, you can grow into one. One way to save you some money is look on craigslist for someone rehoming a snake with complete set up. Even if you decide not to keep the snake it can save you a bunch of money. Even if you find a normal female with a entire set up, she can later breed for you. I usually tell people to breed a normal at first anyways so if you do make mistakes on the clutch its not a high dollar clutch so you hate yourself a little less! Start looking there and see whats available.

Old 09-08-2012, 11:19 AM   #10
snowgyre
Hi Cherelle! I found myself in the exact same situation as you four years ago! Here are some pointers I have from making both good and bad decisions.

1. Invest in a rack and thermostat combo first. I know it's painful to have to sacrifice money to purchase animals in order to buy the infrastructure, but I made the mistake of going cheap on housing and I really regretted it later on, since I ended up spending MORE money (initial housing, getting rid of initial housing, buying new housing) taking the cheap way out to begin with rather than just biting the bullet and getting the right stuff to start with. Sometimes you'll get lucky and find racks for sale locally at discounted prices. If you haven't seen any deals like that, the economy line of Animal Plastics is a really good place to start. Anticipate spending around $500 in infrastructure, depending upon how many animals you want to start with.

2. Buy females. The people above me are absolutely right. Females will take 2-3 years to mature and their value actually increases with size. Female morphs are relatively inexpensive as babies, but as adults they are certainly cost prohibitive. Males are a lot easier to acquire, even as adults, so you can always supplement your breeding plans with a comparatively cheap male later on.

3. Do not forget about the cost of feeders. Reserve a bit of that cash for purchasing a year's worth of frozen feeders for your snakes. I go through about $400-600 a year with 15 snakes, depending upon who goes off feed when. If you're purchasing only 2-5 snakes to start, you'll probably only need about $150-200 worth of feeders max (including shipping), to see you through.

4. Invest in a chest freezer. The five cubic foot variety is perfect for storing frozen feeders, and saves the squeamish people in the family from seeing dead rodents in the family freezer. You can get one for about $150 brand new.

So, all in all, your initial budget will probably be:
1. Animal Plastics Economy Rack 1753 5 tub 12/32 quarts: ~$200 shipped.
2. Tubs for the rack: ~$50
3. Vivarium Electronics 300 thermostat: ~$150 shipped (I like these because they are proportional Tstats, and they have silent operation. The helix models click on and off and were really annoying when I kept them in my bedroom.)
4. Frozen rodents 1 year supply: $150
5. Aspen bedding (1 large bag to start with): $20
6. Ceramic water bowls (ball pythons will knock over lighter bowls): $8 each

Supplies (with 4 bowls), so far comes to about $594 to get a good setup immediately. Add about $150 if you want a chest freezer, and you're looking at around a $750 initial investment.

Now, you've got $250 left over. I know that's not a lot, so here are a couple of options for you:

1. One female codominant or dominant morph. For $200, you can probably land a female yellowbelly, spider, lesser, or mojave. If you get a good deal, you might be able to get a female fire.

2. Two female normals. You could probably get two babies for $50 if you find a good deal, or make a package deal with the morph female above. Now, shipping will be about $50-70 extra, so that's something to keep in mind too.

Again, these are all suggestions from one who has been where you are. You might be able to live without a couple of items listed above, such as the chest freezer, which will allow you to invest in more animals to start with. But, you really can't beat getting the proper infrastructure in place first. You'll thank yourself for it later when you start investing in more animals!

Join now to reply to this thread or open new ones for your questions & comments! FaunaClassifieds.com is the largest online community about Reptile & Amphibians, Snakes, Lizards and number one classifieds service with thousands of ads to look for. Registration is open to everyone and FREE. Click Here to Register!