Building a vivarium - FaunaClassifieds
FaunaClassifieds  
  Tired of those Google and InfoLink ads? Upgrade Your Membership!
  Inside FaunaClassifieds » Photo Gallery  

Go Back   FaunaClassifieds > Reptile & Amphibian - General Discussion Forums > Amphibian Discussion Forum

Notices

Amphibian Discussion Forum General talk about amphibians of any type.

Old 08-23-2005, 07:41 AM   #1
bsharrah
Building a vivarium

Newbie here wanting to build a vivarium for a couple of dart frogs. I have experience with keeping reptiles but not frogs. Researched several websites that go into designing vivariums but frankly I am just not that mechanically incline. Looking for a more "Vivarium for Dumbies" guide or kits if they are out there. Blackjungle offers a kit for a 20 gallon tank and I have also considered a River Tank Ecosystem setup but not sure if I want to spend that much money. Does anyone here have any experience with Blackjungle's kits or the River Tank Ecosystems? Any advice on constructing a vivarium that doesn't require an engineering degree would also be welcomed.

Old 08-23-2005, 12:38 PM   #2
Junkyard
I cannot help much, I have one bullfrog we got as a tadpole. I use a 10 gallon for him. In the tank is a water dish big enough he can swim in. Around the dish is a lot of dirt that covers all the open floor space around the water dish and fills to the top of the water dish. It makes for a nice little plantern also. We use a couple of plants from the pet store in it. I have thought about a misting system also, but I decided to do that only if I have a 20 gallon tank to use. Good luck, hopefully others will be able to give you a little insight also.

Old 09-01-2005, 09:18 AM   #3
animalcracker
hey i recently built a red eye vivarium using my 90 gallon tank...the most important thing i can think of is go buy a 20 gallon tall tank because taller tanks keep the humidity in and that is important. Also, make sure if there is a water resevoir or even a water dish make sure that it is about 1 half an inch deep and no more because these frogs will drown and tey can be quite expensive. I wouldn't buy a kit if i were you the easiest way to learn is to set up your own tank and if i were you i would start with some other cheaper frogs because they really can be quite a challenge at first.

Old 09-01-2005, 09:20 AM   #4
animalcracker
Quote:
Originally Posted by animalcracker
hey i recently built a red eye vivarium using my 90 gallon tank...the most important thing i can think of is go buy a 20 gallon tall tank because taller tanks keep the humidity in and that is important. Also, make sure if there is a water resevoir or even a water dish make sure that it is about 1 half an inch deep and no more because these frogs will drown and tey can be quite expensive. I wouldn't buy a kit if i were you the easiest way to learn is to set up your own tank and if i were you i would start with some other cheaper frogs because they really can be quite a challenge at first.
Strangers are just friends who havent met

Join now to reply to this thread or open new ones for your questions & comments! FaunaClassifieds.com is the largest online community about Reptile & Amphibians, Snakes, Lizards and number one classifieds service with thousands of ads to look for. Registration is open to everyone and FREE. Click Here to Register!