morph question - FaunaClassifieds
FaunaClassifieds  
  Tired of those Google and InfoLink ads? Upgrade Your Membership!
  Inside FaunaClassifieds » Photo Gallery  

Go Back   FaunaClassifieds > Reptile & Amphibian - Snake Discussion Forums > Ball Pythons Discussion Forum

Notices

Old 07-15-2010, 01:34 AM   #1
jclaire
morph question

hi i am just starting to get into the ball pythons and i do not yet know all the morphs and what morphs make what.
i really like the bees and was just wondering which morphs you use to just get your basic bee, i know there are several other bee types honey, queen, killer but i will just want to start with the basics.
thanks in advance

Old 07-15-2010, 01:53 AM   #2
polasian
Bumblebee ("basic bee") - Pastel Spider
Honey Bee - Ghost Spider
Queen Bee - Lesser/Pastel/Spider
Killer Bee - Super Pastel Spider

Old 07-15-2010, 08:25 AM   #3
Matt2979
Basically anything bred with a spider will produce some sort of bee. Butter bee is simply butter x spider, lesser bee same thing...lesser x spider, mojo bee same thing. I never have links handy when someone needs them, but I'm pretty sure you can get some of that info on NERD's site. Good luck with your new adventures!! This is a very rewarding hobby! (IMO)

Old 07-15-2010, 09:15 AM   #4
polasian
Jennifer, although I was only addressing the bees that you spoke of, Matthew is correct. There is a whole hive of bees one can list .

NERD does do a thorough job of elaborating upon the different ingredients involved in combo's. That's definitely some recommended reading.

Old 07-15-2010, 09:27 AM   #5
Matt2979
I might've added to some confusion...hope not! I just wanted to point out that if you ever hear someone mentions ANY bee, at least one of the genes is a spider. You'll have fun learning the rest!

Old 07-15-2010, 11:54 AM   #6
matt b
thanks for the help, this information is very helpful.

Old 07-15-2010, 12:08 PM   #7
jclaire
thanks everyone, im sure i will have more questions as i venture deeper into this.
also i notice a lot of people selling hets and i also see several people posting complaints about the "hets" not proving out
would you guys recommend just getting the visual morphs or taking chances with the hets

Old 07-15-2010, 12:15 PM   #8
Matt2979
Quote:
Originally Posted by jclaire View Post
thanks everyone, im sure i will have more questions as i venture deeper into this.
also i notice a lot of people selling hets and i also see several people posting complaints about the "hets" not proving out
would you guys recommend just getting the visual morphs or taking chances with the hets
Hets will always be the cheapest way to produce visuals with recessive traits IF you get a true het. Just be extremely careful who you buy from! I VERY rarely will buy hets without paperwork.

If you're just getting started, you might want to stick to doms and co-doms for now. With a dom or co-dom morph (spider, pinstripe, pastel, mojave, cinnamon and LOTS more), you'll produce half morphs and half normals by breeding it to a normal. (And just for the record, "half" of each is only on paper. Sometimes there's more of one and less of the other.)

Old 07-15-2010, 12:54 PM   #9
Melinda
Make sure whatever hets you buy, the lines are compatible. For instance, there are at least 2 lines of caramels out there that are not compatible.

Old 07-15-2010, 03:01 PM   #10
jclaire
thank you, thank you now i had always thought that spiders were co-dom but just recently found out that they were dom, are any of the others just dom. also when your breeding a dom or co-dom to a normal does it have to be a male to produce the morph offspring, or for example can a female pastel breed to a male normal produce pastels

Join now to reply to this thread or open new ones for your questions & comments! FaunaClassifieds.com is the largest online community about Reptile & Amphibians, Snakes, Lizards and number one classifieds service with thousands of ads to look for. Registration is open to everyone and FREE. Click Here to Register!