Could we combine the reptile and primate ban - FaunaClassifieds
FaunaClassifieds  
  Tired of those Google and InfoLink ads? Upgrade Your Membership!
  Inside FaunaClassifieds » Photo Gallery  

Go Back   FaunaClassifieds > Laws, Legislative Issues & Alerts > General Legislative Discussions

Notices

General Legislative Discussions Any general discussion concerning legislative issues or events. Not necessarily specific to a particular region, or even a type of animal group.

Old 01-29-2012, 04:03 PM   #1
MarsupialMadness
Stop! Could we combine the reptile and primate ban

I think we would have power in numbers!!! I was hopeful we could combine the primate and reptile ban as the primate ban is spreading like wild fire!!!

Info just on my state, but I support the whole 50 states in stopping the primate and reptile ban..

I really feel we could use your assistance with the new ban they are proposing regarding the ownership of primates. I am a doctor of pharmacy with a passion for primates.

Below is the current bill trying to be passed: It is moving from state to state and every day more states are added!!

I really could use your help with opposition to this Bill
http://wapp.capitol.tn.gov/apps/Bill...=SB3692&GA=107
Tennessee General Assembly » Legislation
wapp.capitol.tn.gov
Animal Control - As introduced, prohibits private ownership of primates, subject to certain exceptions. - Amends TCA Title 68, Chapter 101 and Title 70, Chapter 4, Part 4.

I need everyone to call: senator Marrero (615) 741-9128 tell her you are opposed to the primate ban SB 3692!!!! House rep. Sontany (615) 741-6861 HB3487. Please help US ban together

There is also an online petition (with a written one coming)

http://WH.gov/kle
Tennessee General Assembly » Legislation
wapp.capitol.tn.gov
Animal Control - As introduced, prohibits private ownership of primates, subject to certain exceptions. - Amends TCA Title 68, Chapter 101 and Title 70, Chapter 4, Part 4.

Old 01-30-2012, 01:36 PM   #2
sea-aggie
It's not just primates and reptiles, it's all exotics. IMHO, the entire 'non-traditional pet' community should be banding together at this point.

Old 01-30-2012, 01:54 PM   #3
WebSlave
It's not just the pet trade, neither. The government seems to be hell bent on putting all small businesses out of business. There is an assault on small time commercial fishermen here in Florida that is sickening to observe. You absolutely would not believe the hooks these people have to jump through just to stay in business.

Here's a sample of what I am referring to -> http://myfwc.com/fishing/saltwater/commercial/

Old 01-30-2012, 02:16 PM   #4
sea-aggie
You're right, it's not just the pet trade. Bringing it back to exotic animals is TEAPA (Traveling Exotic Animal Protection Act) legislation being proposed. It's being pushed as the 'anti circus animal abuse' law, but, in reality it will put thousands of small business owners and non-profit animal education programs completely out of business. Again, I'm not sure how, but we ALL need to get together.

Old 01-30-2012, 02:35 PM   #5
WingedWolf
I agree entirely. We have bigger numbers if we can manage to band together. The time of 'but it won't affect me so I don't care' is long past. It's definitely time for 'you fight my legislation, and I'll fight yours'. :P

Old 01-31-2012, 01:55 AM   #6
WebSlave
Quote:
Originally Posted by WingedWolf View Post
I agree entirely. We have bigger numbers if we can manage to band together. The time of 'but it won't affect me so I don't care' is long past. It's definitely time for 'you fight my legislation, and I'll fight yours'. :P
Unfortunately, I believe that a fair number of people will be thinking "Heck, if they outlaw all of THOSE animals that I don't work with anyway, then that will mean more business for ME, since people will likely be looking to buy the animals that they can still get that I will have available with LESS competition from those other breeders...." And they will likely keep on thinking that way up to the day that the animals THEY are working with then come up to the chopping block.

Old 01-31-2012, 05:45 PM   #7
WingedWolf
Well, there will always be some dim bulbs who will take that route...but we have to try, don't we?

Join now to reply to this thread or open new ones for your questions & comments! FaunaClassifieds.com is the largest online community about Reptile & Amphibians, Snakes, Lizards and number one classifieds service with thousands of ads to look for. Registration is open to everyone and FREE. Click Here to Register!