Rattlesnake Wranglers, Armed With Gasoline - FaunaClassifieds
FaunaClassifieds  
  Tired of those Google and InfoLink ads? Upgrade Your Membership!
  Inside FaunaClassifieds » Photo Gallery  

Go Back   FaunaClassifieds > Reptile & Amphibian - General Discussion Forums > Herps In The News

Notices

Herps In The News Local or national articles where reptiles or amphibians have made it into the news media. Please cite sources.

Old 03-31-2014, 07:03 AM   #1
wcreptiles
Rattlesnake Wranglers, Armed With Gasoline

Perhaps some polite letters in support of the gasoline ban are in order.

Quote:
SWEETWATER, Tex. — At the foot of a rocky cliff here, Riley Sawyers knelt down and peered into a small, dark hole, on the prowl for rattlesnakes. One had already lunged at him and bitten his Kevlar-reinforced boot. The venom was still drying, as was the blood on his arm from where the thorny terrain had scratched him, when Mr. Sawyers went to fetch the gasoline.

It was not for his dusty S.U.V. It was for the snakes.

To encourage the rattlesnakes to slither out, Mr. Sawyers and his nephew slipped a thin copper tube into the hole and hand-pumped gas fumes into it. In West Texas, as infested with western diamondback rattlesnakes as New York City is with rats, snake hunters like Mr. Sawyers have been using gas fumes to flush out their prey for decades.

The practice, known as gassing, has outraged animal rights activists and reptile researchers who say that spraying a toxic substance in wildlife habitats hurts the environment, the snakes, and other animals and insects that live underground or use the same burrows.
In recent months, the opponents of gassing have gained a powerful, unlikely ally: the State of Texas. The state’s wildlife agency is considering banning the use of gas fumes to capture rattlesnakes — a move that would add Texas to the list of more than two dozen states that have partly or completely outlawed the practice, including Arkansas, Louisiana, New Mexico and Oklahoma, all of which share borders with Texas.

In a state that advertises its small government and has fought efforts to protect the dunes sagebrush lizard and other animals as endangered species, the agency’s involvement in snake wranglers’ affairs and its attempt to safeguard a creature that bites and frightens ranchers and others strikes some as anti-Texan. If the ban goes through, snake hunters noted, it will be illegal to use gas to chase out a rattlesnake, but legal to use it to catch a gopher.

The debate over the proposed ban has mushroomed into a larger, stranger battle that has attracted the attention of Gov. Rick Perry and other Republican leaders and underscored the cultural divisions between urban and rural Texas.

“A lot of people that’s bringing this to issue have never encountered a snake,” said Mr. Sawyers, 46, a state-licensed snake hunter, tile layer and Marlboro chain-smoker who has a cheerful quotation from Davy Crockett next to the snake tattoos on his arm: “You may all go to hell, and I will go to Texas.” “If you’re into the Bible, snakes have intimidated people from the beginning, and I don’t think that’s changed to this day. If they were on your land, would you want restrictions on how we can get them off, or would you want them removed?”
In Houston and other cities, people have barely noticed the proposal to prohibit gassing. When the agency considering the ban, the Texas Parks and Wildlife Department, held hearings in Fort Worth and San Antonio, just 21 people attended. No one showed up at the one in Houston.

But the hearing in Sweetwater in January drew an estimated 250 people. This town of roughly 11,000, about 40 miles west of Abilene, has unusually high stakes in the matter.
Every March, Sweetwater puts on the country’s largest rattlesnake roundup. (A billboard on the highway into town claims it is the biggest in the world.) The snakes for the event are supplied by wranglers like Mr. Sawyers, the majority of whom use gassing to capture rattlesnakes in the rugged, dry terrain nearby. Hunters are paid by the pound; at this year’s roundup, they brought in hundreds of live western diamondbacks, totaling about 3,900 pounds. A ban would make it harder for hunters to collect a large number of snakes, and some believe the hunters would not bother to take part because there would be no financial incentive.

Town leaders and organizers of the roundup said a ban on gassing would end the roundup and its 56-year tradition, or shrink an event that pumps millions of dollars into the local economy every March as thousands of people travel to Sweetwater to shop, eat and visit. The Sweetwater Jaycees, the nonprofit group that organizes the roundup, use the proceeds to finance community projects, including feeding needy families on Thanksgiving, buying equipment for the fire department, and helping local students, Little League teams and disabled adults.

“It would be a devastating blow to us,” said David Sager, 63, a snake handler at the roundup and a member of the Jaycees. “The rattlesnake roundup is our ways and means.”
The good deeds that come from the roundup are preceded by rather gruesome ones at the event itself, where attendees and organizers celebrate, photograph, skin and eat the most widespread venomous snake in the state. The live diamondbacks are squeezed for their venom — a valuable commodity sold by the Jaycees — and then slaughtered, all in front of the men, women and children at the event. In their most recent report, from 2004, organizers estimated that from 1958 to 2003, the roundup handled 254,000 pounds of diamondbacks — enough dead reptiles to equal the weight of a small locomotive.
Though state wildlife officials have been examining the issue of gassing for years, the primary catalyst for the proposed ban was a petition sent to the agency last year signed by 57 zoologists and others, many from out of state. Some of those who signed the petition oppose not only gassing, but the roundup as well.

“The behavior that occurs at the traditional roundups is animal abuse,” said Kristen Leigh Wiley, curator of the Kentucky Reptile Zoo and one of those who signed the petition. “Just because it’s a rattlesnake and not any other animal does not mean that it cannot experience pain or suffering.”

Officials at the Parks and Wildlife Department said their goal was not to end roundups, but to protect the various species besides rattlesnakes that are exposed to the fumes. They pointed to a 1989 study that showed that a 30-minute vapor exposure impaired or killed seven species of snakes, lizards and toads.

“I liken this to fishing with dynamite,” said John Davis, director of the department’s wildlife diversity program. “It’s about a means of take, a means of collection.”
Some lawmakers, led by state Representative Susan L. King, whose district includes Sweetwater, oppose the proposal and want more extensive field research. Snake hunters and residents said the amount of fumes used in holes and crevices was too insignificant to warrant a ban, and expressed fear that without the gassing and the roundup, the town would be overrun with diamondbacks — a claim that supporters of a ban deny.
Rattlesnakes are the creatures Sweetwater loves to hate.

At the roundup, young women compete for Miss Snake Charmer. This year’s winner of the fried rattlesnake-eating contest — Tonya Osteen, 39, a mother of three — has found diamondbacks on her porch, and one bit the neck of one of her dogs. “It just helps thin out the population,” said Ms. Osteen, whose teenage daughter skinned a snake at the roundup. “Somebody sitting there saying, ‘Oh, poor little snakes’ — I don’t want my kids getting bit by rattlesnakes. My three-legged dog, imagine him getting bit by a snake.”
Out at the rocky cliff a few miles outside town, Mr. Sawyers and his nephew Alex Newman hunted mostly without the gas sprayer — a red can similar to the kind used to spray weed killer on lawns. “You don’t go around shooting fumes in every hole,” said Mr. Sawyers, who has become rattlesnake royalty in Sweetwater as one of the stars of the Animal Planet reality show “Rattlesnake Republic.”

At the hole, they pumped fumes for less than a minute from a can that held about 50 cents’ worth of gas. No snakes emerged. Their only catch of the day was a three-foot diamondback that Mr. Newman, 32, grabbed with a pair of metal tongs.
Since the roundup had passed, Mr. Sawyers did not want to go to the trouble of selling one snake. Instead, he said, he planned to marinate it and then smoke it on a barbecue grill.
Original article here.
Attached Images

Old 04-02-2014, 06:52 PM   #2
Sgt Breen
How about we pour gas in their homes and see if they want to live there afterwards?

People are sick, greedy, idiotic and uncaring. We have regulations on every type of hunting and fishing but when it comes to snakes, then we have no rules. Guess what folks, this is how animals are whipped out. All in the name of making a quick buck.

They can still have their round up, just with no gasoline and make it strickly about getting the venom from the snake. Not killing them for cheap souvenirs. This creates new uneduacated snake haters who see it as cool to kill instead of save and appreciate. Make it educational and fun.

There's a great article in Reptiles magazine that covers this subject from last year. Readers beware it has gruesome images of what goes on at these sick-o shows.

PS can some post an address of who we can write to about this?

Old 04-05-2014, 08:17 PM   #3
wcreptiles
Texan Governor Rick Perry - Contact address

You can post a message to the governor at http://governor.state.tx.us/contact/. I'm guessing comments from Texans will mean a little more than a comment from somebody in Ohio. But I posted anyway.

Be polite.

Texan Governor Rick Perry

Telephone

Information and Referral Hotline [for Texas callers] :
(800) 843-5789
Information and Referral and Opinion Hotline [for Austin, Texas and out-of-state callers] :
(512) 463-1782
Office of the Governor Main Switchboard [office hours are 8:00 a.m. to 5:00 p.m. CST] :
(512) 463-2000
Citizen's Assistance Telecommunications Device
If you are using a telecommunication device for the deaf (TDD),
call 711 to reach Relay Texas

Mailing Address

Office of the Governor
P.O. Box 12428
Austin, Texas 78711-2428
Delivery Address

Office of the Governor
State Insurance Building
1100 San Jacinto
Austin, Texas 78701

Old 04-05-2014, 09:48 PM   #4
acheela
I think we should have a feral cat roundup, to thin out the population of unwanted cats. I did go to the Sweetwater roundup, but it was to try to obtain any accidentally captured bullsnakes. I was walking through the event looking for the guy in charge to talk to him about the bulls, and was surprised to see they were letting people pay to kill, and skin snakes, and they had a big wall where people could pay to put their bloody hand prints on, and sign their name and date it. I couldn't help but think, the only reason they are getting away with this is because their victims are snakes. If the roundup had been directed towards cats, every bleeding heart animal activist group would have been all over it. Don't get me wrong, I know the roundup has its place, just like dog pounds, and horse slaughter houses, but the events going on in there were pretty brutal even for an old naturalist like myself. The sheer number of snakes that come in every year is astronomical. Makes you wonder how over run we would be if all those snakes were free to reproduce.

Old 04-06-2014, 06:52 AM   #5
Sgt Breen
I understand the need to protect yourself around your home but what I take issue with is when the Rattlesnake collectors that are gathering snakes from places where they don't have any human contact other then the round-up guy trying to make a quick dollar.

If people don't want them on their ranch due to fear of live stock being killed or family being harmed then that's up to them but they need to leave the ones that are in their natural habitat alone.

I almost wonder if a hoax (kitty-doggie) round-up would gain attention, so that it could be used to tell folks about the rattlesnake round-ups?

Old 04-06-2014, 09:44 PM   #6
Herpervet
So many reasons to be disgusted. The good-ole boy network will fight this tooth and nail. They allow this bull$hit yet I have to have a permit to keep and sell offspring of eastern box turtles. A species that doesn't even occur in Texas. (they consider all T. carolina the same and do not distinguish between subspecies). I must report any sales or new acquisitions wihin 24 hours.

Its clear that money talks and the rest of us are just fringe weirdo's that have no rights.

Join now to reply to this thread or open new ones for your questions & comments! FaunaClassifieds.com is the largest online community about Reptile & Amphibians, Snakes, Lizards and number one classifieds service with thousands of ads to look for. Registration is open to everyone and FREE. Click Here to Register!