update to the boa with prolapsed hemipene post - FaunaClassifieds
FaunaClassifieds  
  Tired of those Google and InfoLink ads? Upgrade Your Membership!
  Inside FaunaClassifieds » Photo Gallery  

Go Back   FaunaClassifieds > Reptile & Amphibian - Snake Discussion Forums > Boas Discussion Forum

Notices

Old 01-10-2005, 10:59 AM   #1
DavidButton
update to the boa with prolapsed hemipene post

Well it has been a week since this problem first arose and even though I had replaced both sides he still ended up with a problem. I noticed yesterday that there was a tiny black protrusion from his vent which on closer inspection and some slight pressure showed itself to be one of his hemipene. I was worried that they may be in there rotting and may cause a severe infection that could kill the snake so I took him to the vet this morning. Well the vet examined him and one of his pene popped out bright pink and looking fine and then while the viet was attempting to replace it the other side popped out and the tip was black and as soon as it was touched with the probe it fell off. There was no sign of infection though and considering the other side was nice and health I count him lucky on that too. So anyhow, he got the other side back in finally and put in a stich to help hold it in till the swelling goes down. Other than that he is in perfect health and he along with his 27 other brothers and sisters are all going into shed now. I have learned over the years of raising all kinds of animals that nature is never perfect and the fact that I got 28 babies, no stillborns and only one slug, although a good ratio, still left a wide open door for other problems that nature might have in store. So I am not freaking out about this. I feel bad for him of course, I am not that callous, but he is healthy and will make someone a beautiful pet which is what about 85% of boas become anyhow. He can still breed with just one hemepenis anyhow so who knows, he may sire a hundred babies before his days are done. I will update this later this week and let anyone interested know if his remaining manhood stays where it is supposed to.

Old 01-10-2005, 12:28 PM   #2
snakebiteAZ1
Talking Glad to

Hear he is doing fine, keep us posted.. I have a Gravid female ready to drop anyday now, this time last year she had 20 healthy babies and only two slugs, not too bad for her first litter.. Good luck and keep us updated!!! Mike L

Join now to reply to this thread or open new ones for your questions & comments! FaunaClassifieds.com is the largest online community about Reptile & Amphibians, Snakes, Lizards and number one classifieds service with thousands of ads to look for. Registration is open to everyone and FREE. Click Here to Register!