prolapse in male gecko, hemipenis (thanks for your help) - Page 3 - FaunaClassifieds
FaunaClassifieds  
  Tired of those Google and InfoLink ads? Upgrade Your Membership!
  Inside FaunaClassifieds » Photo Gallery  

Go Back   FaunaClassifieds > Reptile & Amphibian - Lizard Discussion Forums > Geckos Discussion Forum

Notices

Old 02-27-2006, 12:38 AM   #21
BalloonzForU
Has his poop changed at all? Is going? My male stopped going, until the vet amputated. He believed that he was holding it in due to the pain. I would also use the prep h as it may help with discomfort/pain.

Old 02-27-2006, 06:17 AM   #22
gurnie
oh he's going alright (atleast urates), sometimes he goes on me when applying the stuff so i have to wipe him off and re-apply whatever i am applying. I am unsure if he is pooping though he seems to be at the same weight but hasn't seemed to eat any new mealworms (the bowl is untouched, even by the females)

I put honey on this AM, i'll check on him when i get home today

Old 03-01-2006, 10:37 AM   #23
gurnie
OK so I'm going to take him in tomarrow, it's probably going to cost like $250 (I called back the place that quoted me $160 and they quoted me different and then acted like pricks so forget that), but i think i can haggle the costs down. What counts is this vet has "care credit" which is like a vet credit card. that'll be really nice b/c I'll be settling on the condo soon.

So tomarrow they're gonna look at him and make an assessment, see if its worth doing, if the doctor's opinion is grim he might have to be put down

Old 03-01-2006, 03:46 PM   #24
BalloonzForU
Good luck. I've got my fingers crossed for the little guy. I'm sure he will be fine. Let us know as soon as you can.

Old 03-02-2006, 11:19 AM   #25
gurnie
okie dokie, he's at the vet right now, total came to $300.00

I am using both Doctors Elizabeth Embree and Jerry A. Hinn. Both were kind and good to their word, they quoted me anywhere between $250-300 and kept their word. Infact the estimate came out higher at the office but they discounted off the $200 bucks the machine had priced for everything that had to be done. Dr. Hinn said "I gave you a quote and i intend to keep what i told you over the phone" so major props there.

Whats nice is i have care credit so i have 3 months to pay off the balance.

anyways here's the breakdown

Examination $58.75
Gas induction $48
ANES SUBSEQ /20min 0-20lbs $42
Surgery soft tissue 30 min (they said it might take longer but charged only for 30 min) $160
Surgery room and Pack charge $31.50
Laser SX small surface area $105
Material and supplies/unit $19.00
Hospitalization $28
Reduced fee, special courtesy -193.25

I was surprised they "reduced the price." they could of bs'ed me and said "oh well he needs yar-yar and la la done" and i wouldn't know the difference

anyways if you're in northern Virginia and your looking for Docs that are CHEAPER but maybe not as highly qualified as Dr. Stahl, try these guys.

Fort Hunt Animal Hospital;
Jerry A. Hinn, DVM
Elizabeth Embree, DVM
1900 Elkin Street
Alexandria VA 22308

tel: 703-360-6100

does anyone know how to add them to the herp list on herp vet connection's site?

total $300

Old 03-02-2006, 11:38 AM   #26
BalloonzForU
Very nice of them to discount that.

But how's the little guy doing?

Old 03-02-2006, 12:17 PM   #27
Lizard Lair
I had a male prolapse a week or so ago, and tried a sugar solution, but it didn't work. I found out later it wasn't strong enough. My reptile vet told me that to get the solution strong enough I needed to boil a cup of water and keep adding sugar until the sugar would no longer dissolve. It was very thick. Then apply the cooled syrup to the prolapse. As the solution dries, keeping adding more. If the prolapse doesn't go back in within 8 hours of doing this it never will (at least that is what one doctor says) and will need to be removed. Perhaps if I had made my first solution the right way he wouldn't have required the surgery. Between my to weak solution, then the proper solution, my poor leo spent a lot of time with his butt in sugar water. The surgery cost me $35. Yup.....$35!!!!! I was shocked. (I keep waiting for the phone call informing me of their error) My regular vet was out of town so I had to take him to the other doctor and that is all she charged. Last year I had a chameleon with a prolapse that needed removed and it cost $130. I think even the $130 is reasonable.

I know this information is to late for you, heck the proper sugar recipe was to late for me even.....but then it's nice to know these things to be ready if it happens again. I like the Prep H idea and will try that with the sugar water if I get cursed with this in the future.

Old 03-02-2006, 12:29 PM   #28
gurnie
he's in surgery today, so i can give you an update tonight.

Old 03-03-2006, 11:27 AM   #29
gurnie
Well he's looking better, pretty active, hasn't ate or pooped yet but his wounds are scabbing up (last night he had alittle bit of bleeding).

Doc said just apply neosporin and he needs to be seperated for a few weeks. Sound good?

Old 03-03-2006, 11:29 AM   #30
gurnie
Oh yeah one last thing; the doc suggested (if anyone else has a prolapsed gecko) try a vitamin e tablet applied to the prolapse, it's suppose to help alot

Join now to reply to this thread or open new ones for your questions & comments! FaunaClassifieds.com is the largest online community about Reptile & Amphibians, Snakes, Lizards and number one classifieds service with thousands of ads to look for. Registration is open to everyone and FREE. Click Here to Register!