Is this a RI? - FaunaClassifieds
FaunaClassifieds  
  Tired of those Google and InfoLink ads? Upgrade Your Membership!
  Inside FaunaClassifieds » Photo Gallery  

Go Back   FaunaClassifieds > Reptile & Amphibian - Snake Discussion Forums > Ball Pythons Discussion Forum

Notices

Old 10-28-2012, 03:29 PM   #1
hartge330ci
Is this a RI?

Cleaning snakes today I picked up one of my breeder males and suddenly gobs of clear slime came dripping from his mouth. Looked like lots of saliva. I checked his mouth several times and there is no redness or any other unusual discoloration. To add to the drama the male was just in with two separate females who in turn were in with other males over the last few weeks. Aside from taking him to the vet this week, any suggestions? Does this sound like a RI? I checked the females and they do have clear fluid in their mouths but it doesn't look like any more than several other snakes I looked at.

Old 10-28-2012, 03:41 PM   #2
jack2682
Wheezing or yawning?

First thing I would do is raise temps and keep everybody separated.

Old 10-28-2012, 03:47 PM   #3
Pythonbreeder99
Isolate him, he may have just taken a drink before you picked him up and when you grabbed him he couldn't keep his throat full of water down. But, a few years ago when I had a URI outbreak that was an observation I noticed. Look for wheezing, nose bubbles, and open mouth breathing.

Old 10-28-2012, 04:10 PM   #4
hartge330ci
Can a RI be transmitted from one animal to another without direct contact or is direct contact required. I ask because I can take him from the rack but not out of the room. I did not notice the other symptoms described other than he sounded a little like he was blowing snot when he hissed at me as I was checking his mouth. But nothing coming out his nose. Looking in his nose holes that are pink though. Some of my other snakes don't look pink in there.

Old 10-28-2012, 04:15 PM   #5
Pythonbreeder99
It's airborne, he needs to leave the room, it can be transmitted by handling him then handling another snake (purell is a must have) it can also transfer on clothing (found that out the hard way). But, isolate means zero contact with other animals, that includes shared environments.

Old 10-28-2012, 04:19 PM   #6
Pythonbreeder99
URI takes roughly 2 weeks to present itself from contact to full symptoms. So although he may not show much now it might get worse and if he's in the same room I GUARANTEE other animals will get it.

Old 10-28-2012, 04:59 PM   #7
hhmoore
Quote:
although he may not show much now it might get worse and if he's in the same room I GUARANTEE other animals will get it.
Pretty steep guarantee, and not entirely factual.
It might be strongly recommended that the animal be isolated, but whether this progresses beyond a single snake will be dependent on a variety of factors (what pathogen is involved, the individual keeper's setup, husbandry practices, treatment undertaken, etc).

Old 10-28-2012, 05:10 PM   #8
Kingofspades
I have picked up animals that just drank water and had "globs" come out.
Keep him isolated and check him.

Old 10-28-2012, 05:15 PM   #9
IvoryExotics
Lots of clear slime without wheezing or crackling usually means you picked him up after a big drink of water. Keep an eye on him, but I wouldnt be too worried at this point.

Old 10-30-2012, 12:42 AM   #10
hartge330ci
He went to the vet today. Vet said there was clear fluid with bubbles down his throat, but not to an extreme extent. There also does not seem to be any wheezing going on. He is on antibiotics now, but if it is in fact a RI I likely caught it early on. He and the female he was with for mating are now isolated from the rest of my snakes in another room. Hopefully nothing more will come of it.

Join now to reply to this thread or open new ones for your questions & comments! FaunaClassifieds.com is the largest online community about Reptile & Amphibians, Snakes, Lizards and number one classifieds service with thousands of ads to look for. Registration is open to everyone and FREE. Click Here to Register!