Mountained Horn Dragons - size comparisons - FaunaClassifieds
FaunaClassifieds  
  Tired of those Google and InfoLink ads? Upgrade Your Membership!
  Inside FaunaClassifieds » Photo Gallery  

Go Back   FaunaClassifieds > Reptile & Amphibian - Lizard Discussion Forums > Other Lizards Discussion Forum

Notices

Old 12-01-2007, 12:13 AM   #1
Mad4You2
Mountained Horn Dragons - size comparisons

A.Capra
Bruja – 77.1 grams (2wks post 2nd clutch) 13.5 inches – WC purchased as an adult October 2006 - 2 clutches from 2006. 15 eggs. 100% hatch rate.
2 clutches this year – 6 and 9 viable and incubating.

2Toe – 78.7 grams 12.25 inches – purchased as CB from Petsmart Feb. 2006– I was later told by management that they could not get more MHDs because they found out that the ones they had bought were not CB. She was young, 31.4 grams. She has never become gravid. She is housed with Diablo (male) and Bruja in a 175 gallon tall enclosure. She had missing toes and spikes when purchased and retained sheds for the first few months.

Continued...

Old 12-01-2007, 12:15 AM   #2
Mad4You2
Continued size comparisons - Babies

Size comparisons of babies.

The babies that I hatched are CH from WC parents, unknown father. Bonnie’s babies are CBB.

Small to large – 2nd clutch (3.5 months, avg. 4 grams), Bonnie’s Nip (approx.. 5 ½ months, 7.4 grams), Crash (1st clutch, 6 ½ months, 7.3 grams), 1st clutch (6 ½ months, avg. 8.5 grams), Bonnie’s Stubbs (approx. 7 ½ months, 12.7 grams)

Line up

Big to Small

Crash – my very first hatchling

Crash – hamming it up

11/30/07

Old 12-03-2007, 05:24 PM   #3
Drache613
Hello

Hello Angie!!

WOW those are great pictures. They are so georgeous, you are a great mom! Thanks for sharing those pictures for me!
They are really getting big too.

Tracie

Old 12-04-2007, 12:04 AM   #4
Mad4You2
Hi Tracie,

I made that for a guy that was trying to figure out the age of his MHD on another forum so I posted on all of the ones I visit, thought it might help some other people out too.

I don't remember if I told you that I lost 1 of the first clutch, he became paralyzed in his back legs and died and then I found one of the second clutch dead this weekend. I believe the one from the first clutch was injured playing, they climb and get on top of each other and the whole pile will fall, makes me insane when they do that. The small baby was not as strong as the others from the beginning so I was afraid that he wouldn't make it. I've been trying to hand feed the smaller ones but I just couldn't do enough for him.

We have 33 eggs incubating now. I've pulled the ones that I didn't think would make it and froze them and that's what we have left from 2 clutches each from Bruja and Yin. Yin's leg is fine now so we think that she might have sprained it or something with all her digging. Jeff's been giving her calcium drops every day also.

Thanks for posting...hope you guys are all well. Angie

Old 12-04-2007, 09:36 PM   #5
Drache613
Hello

Hello Angie,

Oh that is too bad you lost one out of the first clutch. That happens sometimes though, unfortunately. I am sorry about that.
At least the rest are doing very well though. I am happy to hear that Jin is doing good now too, & that her leg is all healed up finally. I am sure that the calcium drops have helped tremendously.
How is Bruja doing?
That sounds dreadful about them piling up & then falling on top of each other! The one on the bottom has it rough.

Everything is going fine here.

Tracie

Old 12-04-2007, 11:44 PM   #6
Mad4You2
Hi Tracie,
Bruja is great...she always bounces right back after laying her clutch. She's eating like a pig. My smallest bendy MHD from the second clutch died this evening. I knew he was going downhill, the other breeders that I know say that for the most part the ones that do that bending backwards thing usually don't make it. Bendy from the first clutch is doing well so I hope he ends up like my friend's who is 18 months old now. Good to hear things are well with you guys. Take care...Angie

Old 12-06-2007, 09:21 AM   #7
Drache613
Hello

Hello Angie,

Oh I am so sorry you lost one the other night, that is so sad. How long had he been going downhill? Poor little thing. I am sorry. He must have had metabolic issues for unknown reasons.
Great that Bruja is doing so well after laying all of those eggs!
I hope the other one from the other clutch makes it!!

Talk soon.
Tracie

Old 12-06-2007, 09:49 AM   #8
Mad4You2
Thanks Tracie...The second clutch had "snowflake" shells....I posted pics of them on the forum asking if anyone had seen eggs like that and my friend Bonnie commented that she often saw eggs with patterns in the shells on the second clutch eggs, her thinking was that it was a calcium issue.

The second clutch hatched out at a slightly higher weight than the first clutch but I have noticed they have really slowed their growth in the last few weeks. I also had some tail tip loss in this clutch. I thought it was because I gave them pinhead crickets and they got carried away but I was struggling with that since the crickets were in their feeding dish. There were some escapees but I wouldn't have thought it would be enough to cause feeding frenzy and tail nips. Now I'm wondering if the tail loss was something deficient in their system, the bendy lizard's tail was intact and the other one that died had tail loss.

I'm wondering if they didn't have as much calcium in their development as the first clutch did. I have five remaining of the seven hatchlings in the second clutch and two are significantly smaller than the other three.

I was looking at eggs last night and Bruja's second clutch has texture on them, not as defined as the "snowflakes" last year but the shells are definitely a rougher texture than the first clutch.

Yin's eggs, on the other hand, are much whiter and the shells look thicker with some texture in her second clutch when compared to her first clutch. We were giving her daily calcium drops in addition to dusting her food because of her leg. I think you can see a difference because of that.

OK...enough rambling for how. I'm off work trying to get some organization going in the house so I guess I should get to it.

Thanks for posting...and reading my rambling!

Old 12-06-2007, 10:18 PM   #9
Drache613
Hello

Hello Angie,

Oh I do remember you mentioning that about the patterns on the eggs. That is most likely the issue. That is too bad. Calcium issues sure do cause alot of problems.
Yeah alot of times, the mom is drained of calcium by the time she lays the 2nd or 3rd clutch if she was low to begin with.
That is interesting that Bruja's second clutch is textured, unlike the 1st clutch.
Yin's eggs are whiter & have just a little texture? That is very interesting about the differences in them. The liquid calcium helps immensely, so I am sure that made a difference in her.
I always enjoy hearing about your clutches.
It is very nice of you to educate me on the mountain horned dragons, as I have never had any experience with them before.

Talk soon.

Tracie

Old 03-23-2009, 05:44 PM   #10
fosterz
Acanthosaura capra

looking to purchase trio of A. Capra. CB or long term individuals only, thank you.

Join now to reply to this thread or open new ones for your questions & comments! FaunaClassifieds.com is the largest online community about Reptile & Amphibians, Snakes, Lizards and number one classifieds service with thousands of ads to look for. Registration is open to everyone and FREE. Click Here to Register!