How do you keep your frog(s) or toad(s)? - FaunaClassifieds
FaunaClassifieds  
  Tired of those Google and InfoLink ads? Upgrade Your Membership!
  Inside FaunaClassifieds » Photo Gallery  

Go Back   FaunaClassifieds > Reptile & Amphibian - General Discussion Forums > Amphibian Discussion Forum

Notices

Amphibian Discussion Forum General talk about amphibians of any type.

Old 04-10-2003, 05:45 PM   #1
MR_Jungle_Mist
How do you keep your frog(s) or toad(s)?

I'd be interested in seeing how people keep their frogs and toads, from the simplest of tank setup to the most elaborate. Any of you keep Surinam/e Toads? How difficult or easy are they to care for?

Picture would be appreciated if you have them!

Thanks,

Old 05-22-2003, 09:03 PM   #2
Skye
I don't have a picture of our current set-up but....

We have one WC / rescue Western Toad from Colorado. This is a picture of him when he was considerably smaller:

Since he emerged from his long winter brumation, we keep him in a 55 gallon glass tank with screen lid. The substrate is soil and a healthy covering of spaghnum moss in most places. Some nights he digs down into the soil though, so there is no moss covering in a few areas. We keep a large pothos plant in there which is growing enthusiastically, and a log for him to hide under, and some artificial assorted other branches. We have a plastic cat litter tray as a mini-pond at one end, and he spends a lot of his time in this pond. Since he usually poops in it too we will change the water almost every day. There is another artificial log in there too to help him climb out.

We used to keep leopard frogs - here was the home of one of them:

If we can get a current pic I'll post it,
Skye

Old 10-01-2004, 02:54 AM   #3
bullcowman
setups

NICE setup Skye!!!
I keep my 6 adult H. versicolor in a 18"x18"x3ft enclosure,with 1 plastic storage container on each half of the bottom. One has water the other a Spruce (i thing long soft needles) and a maple they both go nearly to the top. Spagnum(sp?) moss covers the dirt. Theres one diagonal branch and one horizontal branch near the top for basking. 10" from the top, is a shelf over the water side with numerous small potted plants. Not as complicated/sophisticated as the Skye dudes, but it works.

Old 10-14-2004, 03:36 PM   #4
MarkMark6464
wow! That tank is awesome! Can you give me a basic or elaborite plan of how you put together that tank? Like what kind of substrate did you use? what do you keep in their? any special lighting? Everything else!?

Old 11-15-2004, 05:51 PM   #5
GeckoPalace
wow that is really cool, looks time consuming to clean though, lol.

Join now to reply to this thread or open new ones for your questions & comments! FaunaClassifieds.com is the largest online community about Reptile & Amphibians, Snakes, Lizards and number one classifieds service with thousands of ads to look for. Registration is open to everyone and FREE. Click Here to Register!