ISO noisy frog/toad...advice? - FaunaClassifieds
FaunaClassifieds  
  Tired of those Google and InfoLink ads? Upgrade Your Membership!
  Inside FaunaClassifieds » Photo Gallery  

Go Back   FaunaClassifieds > Reptile & Amphibian - General Discussion Forums > Amphibian Discussion Forum

Notices

Amphibian Discussion Forum General talk about amphibians of any type.

Old 01-31-2011, 12:10 AM   #1
timebider
Question ISO noisy frog/toad...advice?

My friend has a tank of fire belly toads in her living room and I love the little chirping noises they make. I also love the peeper concert that goes on behind my house in the spring, but that never lasts very long.

I want to set up a 10-20 gallon tank in my bedroom for something that will make cute froggy noises for me (preferably in the evening or at night). I'd also like something that's relatively easy to care for. Doesn't have to be idiot-proof - I can cope with simple filtering and heat needs and the like - just something that's fairly hardy. I have several fragile snake species with complicated husbandry requirements, so I'm looking for more of a stress-free "pet" for my nighttime listening pleasure.

Anybody have suggestions for good candidates?

Old 01-31-2011, 11:30 AM   #2
porkchop48
Why not try the firebellies as well?

Old 01-31-2011, 11:34 AM   #3
timebider
Do they croak at night? My friend told me hers don't; she also said it's almost impossible to tell sexes, and if you wind up with the wrong mix in your group, they will be silent all day too. Granted, her information came from a local pet store that went out of business.

I'll have to research them. I just assumed she was right about them not peeping at night, but hers are in the living room...

Old 01-31-2011, 11:39 AM   #4
porkchop48
I have a large group of them. They make noise at night and during the day.

They are very easy to sex actually. I dont think you can have a wrong mix of firebellies. Their tank set up can be pretty simple as well as nice looking too.

Mine are in a 30 gal with about 3-4 inches of water. They have large rocks that jut up out of the water along with pothos vines and a huge amount of aquatic plants. In one corner there is a filter that looks like rocl steps. Simple, effective and easy to clean :-)

Old 01-31-2011, 09:56 PM   #5
Southern Wolf
Kristy... do you have photos of your setup?

Old 02-01-2011, 07:52 AM   #6
porkchop48
Quote:
Originally Posted by RidgeTop Reptiles View Post
Kristy... do you have photos of your setup?
Actually no I dont. But now I have a good excuse to get some. I just moved them into this tank the beginning of the year. Their current tank was set up excatly the same just smaller.

I will work on pics in the next day or so.

Old 02-01-2011, 11:11 AM   #7
timebider
Kevin, you beat me to it! Kristy, I'd love to see them too - and thanks so much for the advice.

Old 02-02-2011, 05:59 PM   #8
kerit
I had a trio of firebellies at work that I actually took home because of the noise they made -- loud enough to go through cubicle walls, anyway.

Kristy, how do you feed yours in the semi-terrestrial setup? I would tong feed mine individually, which was both fun and time-consuming.

Old 02-03-2011, 08:13 AM   #9
porkchop48
I always dump the crickets, worms, roaches, or what every they are eating that day on top of the waterfall/ filter which is flat on top or on top one of the large rocks that stick out of the water.

I have seen them eat crickets that are floating but still alive. They are agressive eaters.

Old 02-03-2011, 08:49 AM   #10
timebider
Now I'm getting excited. Can't wait to get a tank of these little guys set up!

...now I just have to find a good source of healthy toads...

Join now to reply to this thread or open new ones for your questions & comments! FaunaClassifieds.com is the largest online community about Reptile & Amphibians, Snakes, Lizards and number one classifieds service with thousands of ads to look for. Registration is open to everyone and FREE. Click Here to Register!