East Ozark Reptiles - Larry Hastings - Page 3 - FaunaClassifieds
FaunaClassifieds  
  Tired of those Google and InfoLink ads? Upgrade Your Membership!
  Inside FaunaClassifieds » Photo Gallery  

Go Back   FaunaClassifieds > Reptile & Amphibian - Business Forums > Board of Inquiry®

Notices

Board of Inquiry® This forum is provided exclusively for the discussion of specific persons or businesses in the herp industry.

Old 11-14-2007, 09:24 AM   #21
KelliH
Quote:
I’m the worst when it comes to Genetics but it seem plausible to me and neither the producer nor East Ozark would know they were selling hybrids.
A very interesting point, and one that is indeed very plausible. It would not surprise me in the least if a few years ago some unethical someone crossed Texas Rats (Albinos Het for Leucistic? Albino Leucistics?) to Baird's Rats to create an "Albino Baird's". I remember getting up close scale shots of the Albinos when I first saw them available and I passed on them because something didn't look right to me.

Old 11-14-2007, 09:30 AM   #22
John E Dove
Keith,
I agree with you that something is very funny here but you also have to admit the same thing.
Larry, to my knowledge, has always been an oustanding guy but so were Chris of TSE and Matt of MGR.
NO I AM NOT COMPARING HIM TO THEM. But they are examples of how the good guys can turn.

I don't understand all this but something is fishy somewhere in this story. Until it is cleared up I personally would suggest caution in any dealing with Mr. Hastings.

Old 11-15-2007, 09:52 AM   #23
PaulYancick
I would like to know the origins of the first albino bairdi.I saw them posted on kingsnake around 4-5 years ago.Anyone?

Old 11-15-2007, 10:17 AM   #24
John E Dove
Quote:
Originally Posted by PaulYancick
I would like to know the origins of the first albino bairdi.I saw them posted on kingsnake around 4-5 years ago.Anyone?
You might want to post that as a topic on the Cornsnakes & Ratsnakes Discussion Forum http://www.faunaclassifieds.com/foru...play.php?f=345 to avoid getting off topic here.
I'll be interested in reading a little on the subject there also.

Old 11-24-2007, 05:33 AM   #25
bogiehunter85
Starting to get a clear picture

After some further looking into this amazing new leucy morph of the Baird's Ratsnake, I have found the following info.

The breeders name is supposed to be BOB VICO and he was set up at the last St. Louis and Tinley shows with these leucy bairdi. Apparently Vico was not trying to pull one over on anyone and told a number of people at both shows that he had crossed a bairdi with a leucy Texas Rat so he could reduce the size of the eyes. So it appears that the breeder was on the up and up here. So far.

As for LARRY HASTINGS........it is starting to look like he is another good guy turned crook. First of all, Hastings boasts of his 40 years in herps. He also boasts of his 35 year relationship with the breeder of these illicit leucys. All of the actions by Hastings show him to be a liar and a crook who was out to scam the novices in our hobby. He ran the add on KS for these @ $40 each. A number of people contacted him in utter disbelief that a new morph of bairdi existed. He was questioned on KS, but cried to the admin and they removed the postings claiming that the advertisement rule had been violated because there were postings of his price. LAME at least ! That's KS though - LAME is Barringers middle name. Hastings then pulled the ad, but re-listed them on his site upping the price to a whopping $75 each. He has REFUSED all questions, comments and will not reply to this even though he has been made aware this thread exists. At last check, he still insists on his site that they are PURE leucy bairdi and is offering them for sale as such.

Obviously, Larry Hastings and East Ozark Reptile are just plain crooks and scammers.

Old 11-24-2007, 08:48 AM   #26
John E Dove
Quote:
Originally Posted by bogiehunter85
After some further looking into this amazing new leucy morph of the Baird's Ratsnake, I have found the following info.

The breeders name is supposed to be BOB VICO and he was set up at the last St. Louis and Tinley shows with these leucy bairdi. Apparently Vico was not trying to pull one over on anyone and told a number of people at both shows that he had crossed a bairdi with a leucy Texas Rat so he could reduce the size of the eyes. So it appears that the breeder was on the up and up here. So far.

As for LARRY HASTINGS........it is starting to look like he is another good guy turned crook. First of all, Hastings boasts of his 40 years in herps. He also boasts of his 35 year relationship with the breeder of these illicit leucys. All of the actions by Hastings show him to be a liar and a crook who was out to scam the novices in our hobby. He ran the add on KS for these @ $40 each. A number of people contacted him in utter disbelief that a new morph of bairdi existed. He was questioned on KS, but cried to the admin and they removed the postings claiming that the advertisement rule had been violated because there were postings of his price. LAME at least ! That's KS though - LAME is Barringers middle name. Hastings then pulled the ad, but re-listed them on his site upping the price to a whopping $75 each. He has REFUSED all questions, comments and will not reply to this even though he has been made aware this thread exists. At last check, he still insists on his site that they are PURE leucy bairdi and is offering them for sale as such.

Obviously, Larry Hastings and East Ozark Reptile are just plain crooks and scammers.
It may still be a little premature to pin the bad guy badge on Mr. Hastings yet.
Was Mr. Hastings even at that show?
Did Mr. Hastings himself purchase these from Mr. Vico?
Did Mr. Hastings even speak with Mr. Vico?
It is still possible he is also being scammed by the person he purchased these snake from and trusts that persons word. As we have seen even here on the BOI when some of the good guys went bad it was hard for many of their long time friends and associates to finally realize the bad guys had gone bad or were lying.
Agreed he should be asking questions of his own and is making himself look bad by not responding to inquiries, but "crooks and scammers(?)", even for crosses $40 or now $75 dollars doesn't make them much and is not to out of line for the market from what I can tell.
I don't know Mr. Hastings personally and after checking my records I have never made a purchase from him but he has had a few things I considered.
At this point I am still at the stage where he is on my No Deal With list but has not moved the next step to Bad Guy and Scammer.

Old 11-24-2007, 02:54 PM   #27
bogiehunter85
Base on the facts

Mr. Hastings has not bothered to clear this up or restore his good name. His insistance that he and the breeder have a 35 year relationships seems to indicate a scam. What else do we have to go on ?

You want to step in here Larry ?

Old 11-24-2007, 04:47 PM   #28
Cat_72
Quote:
Then several names were thrown around to back up this claim of PURE leucy bairdi. The male original albino bairdi was purchased from BRIAN BARCHECK in '01. A normal female was purchased from EVAN STAHL also in '01. This breeding produced hets that were bred back to the albino male to get the four original leucy bairdi. Anyone know either of these guys ?
Brian Barcyzk (BHB Enterprises) is a very well known breeder.....his first work with the pure albino Bairdi was questioned back in 2001, I believe. His stock originated in Europe, and was said to be pure.

Evan Stahl is pretty well known too (a bit "infamous" in some circles, lol, but IMO an honest sorta guy). I purchased some het BP from him. Don't know his history with Bairdi.

Have you spoken to ANY of these people that you have named, or are you just repeating what you "heard"? How do you know that the breeder of the snakes in question indeed was Bob Vico?

Old 11-24-2007, 08:29 PM   #29
John E Dove
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cat_72
Evan Stahl is pretty well known too (a bit "infamous" in some circles, lol, but IMO an honest sorta guy). I purchased some het BP from him. Don't know his history with Bairdi.

Have you spoken to ANY of these people that you have named, or are you just repeating what you "heard"? How do you know that the breeder of the snakes in question indeed was Bob Vico?
Is Evan Stahl also Evansnakes?
If so, there is a link between him and Mr. Vico in Fauna back in 2004 but not related to snakes.
http://www.faunaclassifieds.com/foru...p/t-58454.html

Old 11-24-2007, 09:47 PM   #30
Cat_72
Quote:
Originally Posted by John E Dove
Is Evan Stahl also Evansnakes?
If so, there is a link between him and Mr. Vico in Fauna back in 2004 but not related to snakes.
http://www.faunaclassifieds.com/foru...p/t-58454.html
Yep, that would be the Evan Stahl I know of.

Good huntin', John.

Join now to reply to this thread or open new ones for your questions & comments! FaunaClassifieds.com is the largest online community about Reptile & Amphibians, Snakes, Lizards and number one classifieds service with thousands of ads to look for. Registration is open to everyone and FREE. Click Here to Register!