Addendum to rules - posting links to ads - Page 4 - FaunaClassifieds
FaunaClassifieds  
  Tired of those Google and InfoLink ads? Upgrade Your Membership!
  Inside FaunaClassifieds » Photo Gallery  

Go Back   FaunaClassifieds > Reptile & Amphibian - Business Forums > Board of Inquiry®

Notices

Board of Inquiry® This forum is provided exclusively for the discussion of specific persons or businesses in the herp industry.

Old 10-06-2003, 11:57 AM   #31
CAV
Quote:
I WANT the text and relevant images of an advertisement posted on another site (one in particular) copied HERE rather than simply putting a link to that ad in a thread on THIS site.
Rich's intent seems pretty clear to me. Is it possible to attach an actuall screen image versus simply cutting and pasting text (which can be altered)?

Old 10-06-2003, 12:30 PM   #32
HerpVenue
quick question.

How do I get a screen image?

Old 10-06-2003, 01:09 PM   #33
ReptileZ
screen image capture

You can capture a screen image from an ad or whatever, but the problem is, people are going to see the address bar and address pointing to kingsnake. Now, they wouldn't be able to click on that link and go there, and there's always a possability of someone editing it in photoshop or paintshop pro. Doubtfully many people would waste their time editing it, but I wouldn't put it past some people who may be trying to ruin another person's reputation.

Now, a person could hide their address bar while taking the screen shot, but they're still going to see "kingsnake" at the top and "kingsnake" on the links and "pethobbyist" above the ad and "powered by kingsnake" and "onlinehobbyist" at the bottom.

Really, the only way you're going to have away with kingsnake is to not allow people to even say where they saw the ads. Considering that probably 80% or 90% of the complaints/inquiries/praises are originally from kingsnake sellers/ads, that may be hard to do.

Old 10-06-2003, 01:10 PM   #34
WebSlave
This little utility appears to be right handy for that task:

5 clicks
Attached Images

Old 10-06-2003, 11:10 PM   #35
HerpVenue
Here is my practice screen shot.
I got it at the following link
it is free
http://abone.tnn.net/bulentb27/InstallBSR_v15a.exe

I also reduced the size on purpose because it is practice and I did not want to take up everyone's space
Attached Images

Old 10-07-2003, 12:17 AM   #36
Seamus Haley
Quote:
How do I get a screen image?
I know you already downloaded a utility to make it easier but for those who may not want to do so...

The Print Screen key copies an image of your entire screen to your clipboard, pasting this in "Paint" allows you to then save the image in a few formats.

Pressint ALT + Print Screen captures a similar image of just the active window, if you don't want people looking at your start menu, task bar or desktop (for whatever reason) it also makes images a bit smaller.

I have no idea how to do this on a Mac, if it's even possible.

The problem with screen captures though is that they can be edited, just like copied and pasted text. It takes a bit more time and attention to detail to make it seamless, but it can be done with even a minimum of computer know-how (which is exactly how much I have).

This is why I kinda disagree with the new rule... I understand the reasons behind it but I think it leaves too much potential for messing around with the reputation of another person or for bad guys to hide behind lies and excuses. Many issues on the board come down to a matter of credibility... There are some people who are known to be honest and have integrity and there are others who are known to be the opposite... and then hundreds of users or potential users who's trustworthiness is virtually unknown.

If Unknown A says that Unknown B ripped him off, and showing a classifieds ad from another website could verify this and he's not allowed to post a link... There are screenshots or copied text but Unknown B claims they were falsified... There's no real way to determine the truth. If Unknown A says that Unknown B ripped him off and is allowed to provide a link IN ADDITION to the text/screenshot and it's seen by trustworthy individuals, then Unknown B loses the ability to create doubt, even if the ad ends up deleted/edited later on.

Make any sense?

Old 10-07-2003, 12:35 AM   #37
dwedeking
But seamus most ad systems allow you to modify or delete your ad so they can be manipulated as well.

On the practical side, how many times have we seen these liars exposed on the BOI. As Darrin once pointed out, most liars don't stop after a simple small lie. They feel the need to expand on it and forget where the lieing stops, and end up making an ass out of themselves.

The only issue I was trying to point out was giving the perception that links to A Site or B Site are not allowed due to some in-fighting. This would remove the premise that the board is unbiased (as much as anything in the real world can be unbiased).

Old 10-07-2003, 02:40 AM   #38
WebSlave
And just how many times has someone posted a transcript of email messages on this board? Just how hard would it be to edit straight text? And although some email accounts have been questioned, most people feel this is perfectly acceptable to show a history of the conversation that took place. Matter of fact, many people will even ASK for this transcript.

I defy anyone to show me any kind of proof that could be shown here (or in a courtroom for that matter) than absolutely cannot be falsified. Even eyewitnesses have been proven to be wrong about what they think they saw.

I honestly believe that it is FAR easier for someone to alter their ad on a remote source than it is for someone to alter a screen image before placing it here. And from what I have seen better than 90 percent of the likely bad guys in an issue wouldn't even have a clue how to do that sort of thing anyway. And once it is posted here AS AN ATTACHMENT, it CANNOT be altered by anyone but me, and I am certainly not about to do something like that for anyone.

And let me state this yet one time again. NO ONE IS REQUIRED TO PROVE ANYTHING HERE. It may help your story, and it may give you the peace of mind of having all your ducks in a row, but it is NOT required when making a post. Facts are what you truthfully believe, even if they may be actually untrue. To give you an example, most people believe that there really is a continent called Australia. But how many people have actually set foot on it and PROVEN to themselves that it actually exists?

Facts not proven (or whatever substitutes for proof in the mind of a reader) are subject to belief or disbelief by the people reading what you have stated. NO MESSAGES POSTED ON THE BOI WILL BE DELETED SOLELY BECAUSE THEY WERE NOT PROVEN BY THE POSTER. Because to do so would put me in the position of being a judge and weighing the worthiness of a post based on proof or lack thereof. From the beginning, I have plainly stated that I will not take this position.

This is a BOARD OF INQUIRY, where anyone can discuss an issue, and it is up to the readers to determine what they make of it.

Join now to reply to this thread or open new ones for your questions & comments! FaunaClassifieds.com is the largest online community about Reptile & Amphibians, Snakes, Lizards and number one classifieds service with thousands of ads to look for. Registration is open to everyone and FREE. Click Here to Register!