Venemous for sale at reptile shows - FaunaClassifieds
FaunaClassifieds  
  Tired of those Google and InfoLink ads? Upgrade Your Membership!
  Inside FaunaClassifieds » Photo Gallery  

Go Back   FaunaClassifieds > Reptile & Amphibian - Snake Discussion Forums > Venomous Snakes Discussion Forum

Notices

Old 10-11-2015, 12:19 AM   #1
Deme
Venemous for sale at reptile shows

I've never seen venomous snakes for sale at California reptile shows (most likely there's a law against it) just as display animals in venomous exhibits or being worked with in the lectures. Then I see videos of whole tables with venomous for sale in other states, I was amazed by a couple of things, the amount of snakes and all the different species available, and how darn cheap they were! Do many states allow vendors to sell venomous at shows or is it a rare thing? Is there a list of the shows that allow venomous sales? Definitely something I want to check out on a future vacation even though I can't purchase any of them, the window shopping will be thrilling enough!

Old 10-11-2015, 12:42 AM   #2
Deme
Venomous

Of course I meant "Venomous" in the title but for some reason I can't edit it or delete the original post.

Old 10-12-2015, 08:08 AM   #3
yasin
There are different laws for venomous in different states. I think only keeping native rattlesnakes are legal in CA.

The most famous show I know in US is the Hamburg Reptile Show in PA. Here is the web site:

http://www.hamburgreptileshow.com/vendor-list.html

In Europe, Hamm/Germany Terraristik Reptile Expo and Houten Snake Day are the best shows. I was at Houten yesterday and you can find basically any snake you want there, including king cobras .

Old 10-12-2015, 12:21 PM   #4
Deme
Venomous for sale at reptile shows

Hi Yasin, I believe the fine print is you can sell albinos or other color morphs of native venomous in CA, and you can keep "normal" color phases of native venomous as well, even wild collect them, but you can't sell them within the state. Unless the vendor wants to give them away for free (LOL!) he'll stick to breeding albinos. That said, I've still never seen venomous for sale at a CA herp show, maybe the insurance cost combined with negative publicity from the usual crowd is something the CA herp community wants to avoid, or like I said there may be a state regulation against it. Hilarious thing is, many of the scorpions and spiders you see for sale have venoms that are more toxic than your average hot snake! The hundreds (more likely thousands) of black widows I have on my property are more than a match to the potency of a single rattler! And they're HUGE, at night it looks like the fences are covered by upside down black crabs suspended in mid-air! Luckily I'm also a fan of invertebrates, arachnophobes should definitely avoid inland California! Did I mention the tarantulas and their annual breeding migration...

Old 10-14-2015, 02:11 AM   #5
Deme
When to go to Hamburg

Am I right that Hamburg has multiple shows throughout the year? If you can only attend one, what month do you all recommend going to see the biggest assortment/display of venomous for sale?

Old 10-14-2015, 02:46 AM   #6
NocturnalNature
Unfortunately Hamburg isn't what it used to be. While attendance is certainly impressive, the quality and selection of animals has become less than it was several years ago.
My recent first hand experience was quite disappointing after not attending for 5 years and I doubt I will be returning unless future shows bring some positive changes.
A few of the more glaring examples were a noticeable decrease in the number of HOT species being offered, the show has outgrown the venue so it is often difficult to even get close enough to a table to view the animals, and an apparent increase in imports in poor condition. While I certainly understand imports are a common occurrence at many shows, the conditions of many of these animals were absolutely dismal with dying animals readily on display and marked at very low prices likely to try and liquidate stock before they died.
There is another show that is well attended by both vendors and attendees that is often overlooked. It is put on by Repticon and is held in Columbia South Carolina. While the venomous section isn't particularly huge, the overall experience of the show is much more pleasurable. Room to move around and view the animals, cleaner, more spacious facility, majority of imports appeared to be in better condition, etc..
Hope this helps!

Old 10-15-2015, 06:31 AM   #7
yasin
This is why I love Europe because if a vendor was selling a dying import, they would get prosecuted.

But the same concern of not being able to see to tables is present in Hamm/Germany show as well, there are just too many people. On the other hand Houten/Netherlands show is just for snakes so you can easily check out all the animals.

Join now to reply to this thread or open new ones for your questions & comments! FaunaClassifieds.com is the largest online community about Reptile & Amphibians, Snakes, Lizards and number one classifieds service with thousands of ads to look for. Registration is open to everyone and FREE. Click Here to Register!