Respiratory virus in ball pythons... - FaunaClassifieds
FaunaClassifieds  
  Tired of those Google and InfoLink ads? Upgrade Your Membership!
  Inside FaunaClassifieds » Photo Gallery  

Go Back   FaunaClassifieds > Reptile & Amphibian - Snake Discussion Forums > Ball Pythons Discussion Forum

Notices

Old 12-10-2007, 04:25 AM   #1
Pink Lady Exotics
Respiratory virus in ball pythons...

Please read this blog entry -- I am hoping to spread information about this virus and what I went through so that no one else ever has to go through this:

blog.myspace.com/index.cfm?fuseaction=blog.view&friendID=204825&blo gID=336374504

Old 12-10-2007, 11:53 AM   #2
Pink Lady Exotics
Dr. Gordon just called me 5 minutes ago, and left me a voicemail giving me some new information that is pretty much devastating.

He said he got ahold of a very respected snake pathologist that he trusts to have a broad knowledge of things like what we're dealing with, and when he asked her for her opinion before we sent the bodies down, this is what she told him:

Based on everything we have experienced this far, it sounds very much like a raptovirus -- which is related to rabies. She said they have documented it existing in various collections in Texas (gee, where did the het clown come from -- and I have never told him anything about her seller), and unfortunately there is no cure or treatment. It is basically comfort cares and allowing the animal to beat it on its own, which is highly unlikely. He said the key thing is separation, separation, separation. Keep the obviously infected animals as far away from the rest of the collection as possible (which has been done since October 12th when I moved the het clown into my bedroom, then when I moved the other sick snakes that showed up into my room as well). Clean EVERYTHING with bleach, wear gloves and some kind of lab coat when working with the infected animals, and discard it afterwards. This virus has a good probability of wiping out out my entire collection.

At this point, we are still sending out the 3 bodies for full analysis to determine whether or not this is the raptovirus, and we will go from there. The tests for each sample needed run upwards of $200 each, so this is not going to be easy -- but it must be done if we are going to nail this down.

I will keep updating as things progress.

Old 12-10-2007, 12:15 PM   #3
deborahbroadus
I am very, very sorry to hear of your trials. Thanks for sharing the information.

Old 12-10-2007, 03:46 PM   #4
geckogrl6
I'm so sorry to hear of your situation. The herp world needs more concerned and responsible keepers, thank you and please continue to share.... I wish you and yours the best of luck.

Old 12-10-2007, 05:21 PM   #5
darkbloodwyvern
Oh my goodness! best luck preventing the spread I hope your remaining snakes pull through the virus!

Old 12-10-2007, 06:24 PM   #6
FireStorm
Wow Jen, I am so sorry! Thank you for posting the info, though. I'm going to be ultra careful with quarentining new arrivals after reading that.

Shelly

Old 12-10-2007, 07:01 PM   #7
Cat_72
Jen.....I don't even know what to say. I'm so sorry that all of this is happening to you and your animals. Bless you for sharing all of this information with us, and doing so much to help others learn from it.

If you need an ear, I'm here. (Given, at weird hours....but here.) Check your PM's.

*hugs*

Old 12-10-2007, 07:27 PM   #8
TheFragginDragon
My sincerest condolensces on your losses Jen......all the trials you've had to go through this year.....if you need help with anything, don't hesitate to ask. I (and I'm sure others) would be happy to donate to help defray the costs of all the tests that you are financing; after all, what you are doing will help this entire community.

Warmest Regards Jen, I'm sure things will get better.

Old 12-10-2007, 07:31 PM   #9
rbchesapeakeball
Jen,
This has to be devastating for you, I hope the rest of your collection fairs well. Please keep us posted.

Rich

Old 12-10-2007, 07:34 PM   #10
rbchesapeakeball
Jen,

I agree with John, I will make a donation if you will accept.

Rich

Join now to reply to this thread or open new ones for your questions & comments! FaunaClassifieds.com is the largest online community about Reptile & Amphibians, Snakes, Lizards and number one classifieds service with thousands of ads to look for. Registration is open to everyone and FREE. Click Here to Register!