Flex Watt Mfg says NO to foil/aluminum tape - Page 3 - FaunaClassifieds
FaunaClassifieds  
  Tired of those Google and InfoLink ads? Upgrade Your Membership!
  Inside FaunaClassifieds » Photo Gallery  

Go Back   FaunaClassifieds > Reptile & Amphibian - Snake Discussion Forums > Ball Pythons Discussion Forum

Notices

Old 02-28-2012, 11:29 AM   #21
MrBig
Steve, I only use the kevlar tape on top of the Flexwatt. I don't place anything under the heat tape, don't see anything to be gained by more tape underneath.

Old 02-28-2012, 11:49 AM   #22
stevek123
Hi Mike, The comment was addressed to Nick.

Kevlar Tape is not an easy thing to find in Vermont.

Old 02-28-2012, 11:57 AM   #23
MrBig
Quote:
Originally Posted by stevek View Post
Mike do you put the kevlar tape on the bottom of the flex watt and over the top, or just to hold the flexwatt down on the sides?
It was in response to this. I don't think it's easy to get anywhere. I ordered mine from Grainger.

Old 02-28-2012, 01:18 PM   #24
Matt2979
I've always use foil tape to secure all of my Flex Watt heat tape, and never had an issue. Of course I insulate the connectors on one end, and the other end I use electrical tape to ensure there is no exposed wiring where I cut the heat tape (even the tiniest exposed hot wire would electrify foil tape). Once I'm sure it's all insulated, foil tape goes on to secure it to my rack.

Old 02-28-2012, 01:21 PM   #25
RonzRoyalz
Ain't flexwatt tape covered with a sheet of plastic on both sides? That's why we have to scratch the plastic off the section that we solder to. So if it's completely covered in plastic and you tape up both ends with electrical tape, throw some duct tape on the bottom of homemade HD racks and cover the top with foil tape. What can go wrong? Right now mine has foil on both top and bottom, but am putting painters tape on the bottom and try foil just on the edges to see if my humming goes away. But still it's completely covered in plastic so why would it humm with the foil tape. I'm using their pinch connectors by the way. My soldering sucks. And I used to be a cert. welder in the Navy.

Old 02-28-2012, 03:46 PM   #26
Matt2979
Quote:
Originally Posted by RonzRoyalz View Post
Ain't flexwatt tape covered with a sheet of plastic on both sides?
It is covered in plastic; however, when you cut it to the desired length, you expose the very edge. This is what I cover with electrical tape, just to make sure it does not come in contact with the foil/aluminum tape.

Old 02-28-2012, 04:06 PM   #27
AbsoluteApril
I use Aluminum/foil tape but only on the edge of the sides to secure it in place (not over the flex, just the very clear edge). I run heat up the back on racks, I don't put anything on the other side. I didn't think we could use duct tape.

Old 02-28-2012, 05:35 PM   #28
Snake-Queen
So basically, the message was for "idiots", like the warning on McDs coffee... caution HOT.

Old 02-29-2012, 07:55 AM   #29
Focal
Quote:
Originally Posted by stevek View Post
So Nick, you're flexwatt is sandwiched between aluminum and insulation board?
Sorta. Imagine a picture frame, but made out of aluminum, and the heat tape is the picture. The insulation is like the little carboard that holds the picture to the front of the frame. I'll try to snap some pictures tonight.

Old 02-29-2012, 09:47 AM   #30
edf01
I use duct tape. I do eventually have to re tape the flexwat down with new pieces. Yes, it does leave some sticky residue- but I just put the tape back over that spot. Some tubs don't pull out so easily if the tape becomes dislodged, and yes, its a pain in the butt, but re-taping it usually fixes it. Its usually just a problem for the slots that are a smidge tight ( my racks went through a few moves). But other then that- it works. I try to just tape the edges...

Join now to reply to this thread or open new ones for your questions & comments! FaunaClassifieds.com is the largest online community about Reptile & Amphibians, Snakes, Lizards and number one classifieds service with thousands of ads to look for. Registration is open to everyone and FREE. Click Here to Register!