Cage Size Recomendations. - FaunaClassifieds
FaunaClassifieds  
  Tired of those Google and InfoLink ads? Upgrade Your Membership!
  Inside FaunaClassifieds » Photo Gallery  

Go Back   FaunaClassifieds > Reptile & Amphibian - Lizard Discussion Forums > Chameleons Discussion Forum

Notices

Old 12-02-2005, 11:56 AM   #1
So Pirate55
Cage Size Recomendations.

I'm gathering up as much info as i can concerning both panthers and veiled chameleons and i'm having trouble finding info on juvies or even babies that deals with cage size. I'm new to the cham world but i know that with certain snakes it's not a good idea at all to start them out in a large cage......does the same apply for chams? From what i read, bigger is better as long as there is plenty of vegetation for climbing and hiding....and as long as climbing vines, rests, and perches are the appropriate size for the cham's foot. I'm planning on building a 30"x30"x72" for an adult, but i was going to buy one of those reptariums for the little guy if i needed to...just didnt know what size.

Cliff's notes: Is there such thing as too big?.....as long as all other features and needs are looked after.

Old 12-02-2005, 08:53 PM   #2
ChamyOscar
The only thing i can say is that if you are caging a baby chameleon it is not a good idea to get too large of a cage. because you will need to keep an eye on it and a baby will be hard to find in a large cage. other than that i think the bigger the cage the better as long as your cham can find food

Old 12-02-2005, 09:50 PM   #3
Dave W.
Howdy,

I raised my 3 month old panther in a aprox 16x16x28 screen enclosure until he was closer to about 6 months(?) Then he moved into a 24x24x48 where he has been for about a year. The smaller enclosure was easier for the little guy to free-range feed and it allowed me to use a smaller ficus yet still get adequate heat and UVB onto his perch areas.

The 24x24x48 setups:

See Ya,

Dave Weldon

Old 12-05-2005, 12:27 PM   #4
So Pirate55
great set up. i didnt even think about the free range feeding aspect of it. that does make a lot more sense. I feel kinda foolish for asking it now, but i guess better to ask now than learn on my own by and jeopardizing the animal. I'll probably be waiting until the SC show in jan at the earliest to get a cham, but it'll prolly be a little later in spring. any recomended breeders for veileds?

Join now to reply to this thread or open new ones for your questions & comments! FaunaClassifieds.com is the largest online community about Reptile & Amphibians, Snakes, Lizards and number one classifieds service with thousands of ads to look for. Registration is open to everyone and FREE. Click Here to Register!