New chameleon owner worried need advice - FaunaClassifieds
FaunaClassifieds  
  Tired of those Google and InfoLink ads? Upgrade Your Membership!
  Inside FaunaClassifieds » Photo Gallery  

Go Back   FaunaClassifieds > Reptile & Amphibian - Lizard Discussion Forums > Chameleons Discussion Forum

Notices

Old 03-04-2006, 05:45 PM   #1
nfoster187
New chameleon owner worried need advice

I just purchased a 2 year old male veiled chameleon from the paper. He eats well, he does not hiss when you get near him, and he has bright vivid colors. I have had him for 3 weeks now and his spikes running down the top of his back are shedding and some of them are coming off at the same time. He has portions of back where the spikes are completely removed and is flat. I hope i am explaining this clearly, if not i apologiize. Any help would be appreciated, i am hoping that it is not that serious.

Thanks alot

Nick

Old 03-04-2006, 09:13 PM   #2
Dave W.
Howdy Nick,

If he is loosing the spikes on his back that would be a bad thing. Can you post close, well focused photos of the area of concern? This may be do to a burn from his basking lamp. Post photos of your setup too. Also, any details about your husbandry will be needed too. Lights, water, food, supplements, enclosure etc...

Old 03-04-2006, 11:22 PM   #3
Keith Campbell
Your chameleon may have been dehydrated and had a few bad sheds. The skin around the spine may have been constricted and lost circulation which would explain the loss of spines. I hope that this helps you and eases your worry a bit. You always have to keep chameleons hydrated, it is so important. Good luck with your new addition.

Keith and Shannon

Join now to reply to this thread or open new ones for your questions & comments! FaunaClassifieds.com is the largest online community about Reptile & Amphibians, Snakes, Lizards and number one classifieds service with thousands of ads to look for. Registration is open to everyone and FREE. Click Here to Register!