Spider identification needed please... - Page 2 - FaunaClassifieds
FaunaClassifieds  
  Tired of those Google and InfoLink ads? Upgrade Your Membership!
  Inside FaunaClassifieds » Photo Gallery  

Go Back   FaunaClassifieds > Insects and Arachnids > General Discussions

Notices

General Discussions This is a general purpose forum open to all topics related to Insects and Arachnids.

Old 08-30-2006, 09:26 AM   #11
DAND
Quote:
Originally Posted by John Apple
Michel....Like I tell my kids and employees...we are all a team here
GO TEAM!

Old 09-15-2006, 03:23 PM   #12
pilonm
Hello John and David :-)

I would like to close that topic but someone from another forum maintain that it is Misumenoides formosipes.

Here is the complete discussion I had with Dennis from the InsectNet Forum:

http://www.insectnet.com/dcforum/DCForumID2/1357.html

What do you think of its comments? Do you still agree for M. vatia or M. formosipes is now a better id? I begin to be very confused...

Please help me :-)

Bye and thank you again for your great help!

Michel

Old 09-15-2006, 04:06 PM   #13
DAND
It seems they are both very close in description and in locality. Not having it in hand makes it rather hard to determine. Some of the pics I have seen of both haven't helped make any determination either since there is such a variation. Heck to make things even worse for you, it could even be a cross.

Old 09-16-2006, 07:09 AM   #14
John Apple
Hmmm a cross is unlikely ...but stranger things have happened
I can remember last year seeing a big Chinese mantid female with a VERY much smaller Native mantid male on her back and in the act of copulation. Looked like a mouse maiting with a horse
Looking at your picture again that female spider has laid eggs and I bet they are in the rolled up leave she is on. The large female I kept from Upstate Wisconsin has done that very same thing and now I am feeding pinhead crix to the many tiny babies

Old 10-05-2006, 10:17 AM   #15
pilonm
Hello again John and David,

Here are some developments on my ID search about the spider. I just photographed another specimen very close to the first one. Here are the new pictures of this new individual:

Do you think that it can help on id? I'm pretty sure that this spider and the one I photographied several weeks ago are from the same species... What do you think of it?

Thank you alot in advance,

Michel

Old 10-05-2006, 10:24 AM   #16
John Apple
I have heard that they can change color slowly over time to match the flower they are on. Commonly called the golden rod spider around here. I would say they are the same specie. I have cought white ones and yellow ones and a sort of green one in the same field...all with the same red stripes along the side. I think you girl is gravid there
peace

Old 10-12-2006, 07:48 AM   #17
pilonm
Hello John,

Thank you very much for your last comment! It was very appreciated! I will then "close the file" and identify my spider as being Misumena vatia.

Ciao!

Michel

Old 10-12-2006, 09:11 AM   #18
John Apple
Take care Michael and your very welcome

Join now to reply to this thread or open new ones for your questions & comments! FaunaClassifieds.com is the largest online community about Reptile & Amphibians, Snakes, Lizards and number one classifieds service with thousands of ads to look for. Registration is open to everyone and FREE. Click Here to Register!