For Sale Rare Hypo Type Asian Turtle Appears To Be Female. - FaunaClassifieds
FaunaClassifieds  
  Tired of those Google and InfoLink ads? Upgrade Your Membership!
  Inside FaunaClassifieds » Photo Gallery  

Go Back   FaunaClassifieds > Reptile & Amphibian - Classifieds > Other For Sale/Wanteds Classifieds > Turtles/Tortoises

Notices

Old 04-06-2015, 09:30 PM   #1
Teri66
Rare Hypo Type Asian Turtle Appears To Be Female.

Hello,
She is light compared to the dozen's brought in every month. She's a LTC chowing down frozen silver slides, feeder fish and crayfish. I'm asking $200.00 shipped.

Serious inquiries only please. Thank you...

******SOLD****** THANKS EVAN*******
Attached Images

Contact User Check User
Old 04-06-2015, 11:04 PM   #2
justatwinturbo
These still about 6 dollars a pound in China town?

Old 04-07-2015, 12:48 PM   #3
yaouch
Yum..... They are a bit higher now, $12.99 per lb at Asian markets....

Old 04-07-2015, 12:59 PM   #4
shahn_he
Yummy yummy! $9.99 per lb in LA.

Old 04-07-2015, 06:03 PM   #5
slearmont
$11.99 in chitown couple weeks back

Old 04-07-2015, 06:23 PM   #6
nickolasanastasiou
Does it matter? If so, why? The animal is lighter than most of its market-mates. I think this species is a nice type of softshell to keep. Very manageable size for the adults. Relatively hardy once stabilized.

Old 04-07-2015, 09:05 PM   #7
JLreps
Quote:
Originally Posted by nickolasanastasiou View Post
Does it matter? If so, why? The animal is lighter than most of its market-mates. I think this species is a nice type of softshell to keep. Very manageable size for the adults. Relatively hardy once stabilized.
Agreed. If I ever decide to sell anything here, you can pretty much guarantee I'll be shutting down the comments on all my adds(heard you can do that) for this exact reason. Who wants this kind of crap when you're trying to sell something?

Old 04-07-2015, 09:11 PM   #8
justatwinturbo
Because the guy bought normal Pelodiscus spp. In China town for x dollars a pound, saw one was a little lighter, and is trying to pass it off as a morph. It's normal. There's nothing special about it. These things are sold in food markets, where they're kept on ice, and pretty much never survive...so yes, it all matters. If anyone wants one of these, drive to your nearest China town, and pay less that $20 each. I bought 2 pairs in January for $60. They did great for a month, and one by one they died. This is the story of China town Pelodiscus, and everyone tells a similar one.

Old 04-07-2015, 09:20 PM   #9
nickolasanastasiou
Quote:
Originally Posted by justatwinturbo View Post
Because the guy bought normal Pelodiscus spp. In China town for x dollars a pound, saw one was a little lighter, and is trying to pass it off as a morph. It's normal. There's nothing special about it. These things are sold in food markets, where they're kept on ice, and pretty much never survive...so yes, it all matters. If anyone wants one of these, drive to your nearest China town, and pay less that $20 each. I bought 2 pairs in January for $60. They did great for a month, and one by one they died. This is the story of China town Pelodiscus, and everyone tells a similar one.
Yes and no.

It is lighter than other normals. By definition, it has less melanin or a different form of melanin. Hence "hypo type" is not entirely out of line as a descriptor. I would have just called it lighter in shade than others in its general company. Is it heritable? I cannot say. I doubt it. Do I care? Not so much in the face of countless pastels and non-heritable "hypo" animals that are sold in RES and CST arenas for relative premiums. Parallels without arm-raising exist in other turtle contexts.

In the markets I have visited, they are kept in a live tank (sometimes with and sometimes beside bullfrogs) and not on ice, although many have fungal issues and most not eaten do indeed die. Everyone includes me and the story I have to tell is not quite what you have described (kept on ice).

Old 04-07-2015, 09:21 PM   #10
JLreps
Quote:
Originally Posted by justatwinturbo View Post
I personally have no idea what comes in the china town markets, but that doesn't matter. It's CLEARLY not "normal". Let me school you on where many of the blood python and retic morphs come from. They come from the people who skin them. Does that mean just because they made it to that market they must be a "normal"? I know people that picked through "normal" ball pythons and found morphs that made them hundreds of thousands. They'd be "normals" according to you. Now whether or not it's going to live, that's a whole different story. You seem to be an expert on that. I'm sure you've bought many from there and tried to save them.

Join now to reply to this thread or open new ones for your questions & comments! FaunaClassifieds.com is the largest online community about Reptile & Amphibians, Snakes, Lizards and number one classifieds service with thousands of ads to look for. Registration is open to everyone and FREE. Click Here to Register!