First-time snake owner, please help! - FaunaClassifieds
FaunaClassifieds  
  Tired of those Google and InfoLink ads? Upgrade Your Membership!
  Inside FaunaClassifieds » Photo Gallery  

Go Back   FaunaClassifieds > Reptile & Amphibian - Snake Discussion Forums > Hognose Snakes Discussion Forum

Notices

Old 11-10-2019, 01:59 PM   #1
ToadStyle
First-time snake owner, please help!

I'm planning on getting a hognose snake (approx. 7- 9 inches), but I can't seem to get her encloser up to standard. I have a few questions regarding a hognose's set-up. If someone can help me out it would be greatly appreciated. I attached a .jpg image of my setup.

(my setup)
- glass 10 gallons (20 1/4 x 10 1/2 x 12 9/16)
- 4 inch of Zoomed Aspen
- Zilla UTH mat (placed under neat the tank on the right side | regulated
by Zoomed Reptitemp Digital Thermostat)
- Zoomed Reptitemp digital thermostat (set to 94 F degree)
- Zilla Heat & UVB Basking Fixture (With a UVB and halogen bulb)

A little more info about my tank, I place the snake hide on top and in the middle of the heat mat. The surface of the hot side is 85F and 75F on the cool side.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
(QUESTIONS)
1. Is there too much substrate?
2. Should I be worry that the heat source from the heat mat not penetrating up to the surface? I can only get an optimal reading if I uncover the substrate and use my infrared gun on top of it.
3. Because only the bottom of the tank seems to be hot enough, should I use the heat lamp on top of where the heat mat is? (If so, would my snake overheat?)
---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

P.S. sorry in advance if the post is long, I just want to be thorough and give my soon-to-be snake the best living condition possible
Attached Images

Old 11-10-2019, 02:52 PM   #2
bcr229
Yes that's way too much substrate, I would use an inch at most.

You want to measure the temperature of the UTH on the glass floor since your snake will burrow and lay under the substrate on the glass. Your UTH should be regulated by the thermostat so that the temperature of the glass floor is 86-88*F.

I wouldn't bother with the heat lamp, just keep the room's ambient temperature around 74-75*F.

Old 11-10-2019, 03:23 PM   #3
ToadStyle
First off thank you for the advice. I've been looking around and saw some conflicting views. Some people say that you need 4 inches of substrates or more, and their reasoning is that hognose likes to borrow. To me, what they say seems to make sense. So, are you suggesting 1 inch of substrates due to the size of the snake?

Old 11-10-2019, 03:26 PM   #4
bcr229
Yes I only give them an inch of substrate when they are small. That gives them enough aspen to play excavator.

Old 11-10-2019, 03:35 PM   #5
ToadStyle
hmmm, I see. Thank you for the clarification. You've been a great help.

Join now to reply to this thread or open new ones for your questions & comments! FaunaClassifieds.com is the largest online community about Reptile & Amphibians, Snakes, Lizards and number one classifieds service with thousands of ads to look for. Registration is open to everyone and FREE. Click Here to Register!