Albino compatibility - FaunaClassifieds
FaunaClassifieds  
  Tired of those Google and InfoLink ads? Upgrade Your Membership!
  Inside FaunaClassifieds » Photo Gallery  

Go Back   FaunaClassifieds > Reptile & Amphibian - Snake Discussion Forums > Ball Pythons Discussion Forum

Notices

Old 07-26-2005, 11:48 AM   #1
NdIndy
Albino compatibility

Quick question. Are the different types of albino available compatible strains? I currently have a pair of het for high contrast albino and a 50% female (topshelf exotics stock and doing great), a pair of faded albino hets (local stock), and a lavender albino het male (straight from NERD). And I'm looking for a caramel pair. Of the entire group, only the lavender het is breedable this year (Hey Kevin, send me a female please please please), but as the others mature can they be mixed and produce visible albinos, or will I end up with 50%'ers for both strains?

Old 07-26-2005, 12:43 PM   #2
CJBianco
The high contrast and faded are the same gene. The lavendar and caramel are each different genes. This makes three different genes total.

Chris

Old 07-26-2005, 09:23 PM   #3
NdIndy
Thanks

Old 07-29-2005, 08:55 AM   #4
CornNut
You are probably right, but as far as I know no one has proven that lavender albino, caramel albino, and regular albino are different genes.

I think RDR is up to 3 clutches from various regular albino X lavender albino line crosses and has yet to get a good egg.

There was an imported caramel male that was reported to be het regular albino too which could also be explained by caramel and albino being alleles (different mutations of the same gene) but I'm not aware of anyone even trying to breed homozygous regular albino to homozygous caramel albino to put this to the test.

Old 07-29-2005, 11:38 AM   #5
paulh
Quote:
Originally Posted by CornNut
There was an imported caramel male that was reported to be het regular albino too which could also be explained by caramel and albino being alleles (different mutations of the same gene) but I'm not aware of anyone even trying to breed homozygous regular albino to homozygous caramel albino to put this to the test.
Are there any details on this mating? If caramel is an independent mutant that is recessive to its normal allele, then a caramel heterozygous albino x albino mating would produce half albinos and half normals (heterozygous caramel, heterozygous albino). On the other hand, if caramel is and allele of albino and recessive to its normal allele, then a heterozygous caramel//albino x albino mating would produce no normal babies. All the babies would be either albino or heterozygous caramel//albino.

Old 07-30-2005, 12:06 AM   #6
CornNut
Actually I forgot, RDR did produce a clutch of normals from Lavender albino X Caramel albino this year proving those to be two different genes. In the case of multiple mutant alleles of the same gene you wouldn't expect the double hets to be normal looking. That still leaves regular albino to be tested against each of the other two for compatibility. A long shot I'll admit but still a possibility to consider.

Paul, I've seen a few of the results from that imported male caramel posted over the years but I don't remember much other than none of them seemed to eliminate the possibility that he was a double het regular albino and caramel and that the two mutations are alleles (none of the results proved it either). I'm pretty sure none of the breedings where to albino females (unfortunately as that could start to prove something), only to het daughters that where assumed to have gotten the albino gene from the imported caramel looking male. I don't think anyone other than myself takes the possibility of caramel and regular albino being alleles serious enough to dedicate an albino female to it and at the rate I'm going it will be a while yet before I have either homozygous animal to give it a try. I did try with possible hets for each last year and produced all normals but neither possible het has been tested further yet.

Join now to reply to this thread or open new ones for your questions & comments! FaunaClassifieds.com is the largest online community about Reptile & Amphibians, Snakes, Lizards and number one classifieds service with thousands of ads to look for. Registration is open to everyone and FREE. Click Here to Register!