Substrate for an Argentine B&W Tegu. - Page 2 - FaunaClassifieds
FaunaClassifieds  
  Tired of those Google and InfoLink ads? Upgrade Your Membership!
  Inside FaunaClassifieds » Photo Gallery  

Go Back   FaunaClassifieds > Reptile & Amphibian - Lizard Discussion Forums > Skinks & Tegus Discussion Forum

Notices

Old 08-03-2010, 04:32 AM   #11
Luis alvarado
Thanks again for the info!! I have yet another questions.... This time it's about lighting. I'm using a UVA/basking lamp and a 10.0 UVB coil bulb. I read some folks believe this is not enough. They are saying to use an MVB. What's your opinion?

Old 08-03-2010, 09:45 PM   #12
Tobys_girl
Without doubt, UVB is required... But keep in mind where these animals come from. They are sub-tropical forest/prairie dwellers.

Desert reptiles will likely need a very high level of UVB. Tropical reptiles that hail from regions closer to the equator will need less than desert reptiles but will still need a good bit. But take note of where Argentina falls on the globe. Then to paint a clearer picture compare the northern to southern hemispheres and you will find that Argentina's range of latitude is not to far from the southern US States, with your area being closer to the warmer side of their range.

To put a bit of personal experience behind this theory... My Apartment has an upstairs balcony that my Tegu spends a lot of time on. It is common for him to bask in the early sunshine, but he avoids sunlight in the heat of the day like a vampire. He is active in the evening sun but rarely 'basks'.

I personally use standard incandescent bulbs for heat and a 4' HO UVB for a UV source. The key factor to using this approach is to ensure the fluorescent UVB lamp is close enough to the reptile. Being further than 12" from the animal renders the bulb almost useless for UVB.

Old 08-17-2010, 01:35 AM   #13
Luis alvarado
Is there a such thing as too much UVA/UVB?? I just built my 8x4x4 enclosure for my B&W tegu. I'm using a solar glo MVB 160 watt by exo tera, a basking spot lamp and a 18" 10.0 UVB tube?? Over kill or what???

Old 09-23-2010, 12:48 PM   #14
Toby_H
Sorry for the delayed response... and I finally made my own account :P

Yes there is a point of 'too much' UVB... but it's rare to reach it...

In desert reptiles I do not believe you can 'overdose' UVB at all... Likewise, it would be difficult to 'overdose' tropical animals...

But Argentina Tegus are 'sub-tropical'. So their UVB requirements are not quite as high as most tropical species, but it is still required.

The important part is to have UVB available in some areas, and not available in others. This allows your Tegu to regulate himself.

I personally like the flourescent bulbs more than the MVB. I have a 4' UVB bulb in an 8' enclosure which overlaps part of the basking area. This allows the tegu to bask in a heat lamp with or without UVB... and also allows him to bask in UVB with or without heat... as well as provides plenty of space without heat or UVB...

Reading up ont he subject will provide us with a wide range of very logical opinions and details, but in my opinion provide a range of options allows the animal to regulate itself within it's needs.

Old 09-23-2010, 07:28 PM   #15
Luis alvarado
Thanks for the info. My MVB just burnt out on me a few days ago
it only lasted a couple of months!!!! Any suggestions on a good quality long lasting MVB???

Join now to reply to this thread or open new ones for your questions & comments! FaunaClassifieds.com is the largest online community about Reptile & Amphibians, Snakes, Lizards and number one classifieds service with thousands of ads to look for. Registration is open to everyone and FREE. Click Here to Register!