Iguanas for Stud - FaunaClassifieds
FaunaClassifieds  
  Tired of those Google and InfoLink ads? Upgrade Your Membership!
  Inside FaunaClassifieds » Photo Gallery  

Go Back   FaunaClassifieds > Reptile & Amphibian - Lizard Discussion Forums > Iguanas & Monitors Discussion Forum

Notices

Old 06-02-2007, 01:27 AM   #1
Lucara
Question Iguanas for Stud

Is there such thing as males being used as studs for reptiles? I would love to breed my female in the next few years but I dont want another iguana. Would someone allow you to use their male as a stud and would a female iguana accept him or do they only breed with mates?

Old 06-02-2007, 01:47 AM   #2
Mooing Tricycle
You dont want another iguana, but you want to breed your female and have lots of babies?

Iggies arent exactly easy to get rid of... so, why would you want to breed yours? Especially when there are literally thousands of them available for adoption, that NEED homes....

Old 06-02-2007, 03:16 AM   #3
Lucara
I said I would love to not that I was going to AND I said in the next few years. Alot of things happen in 3+ years. Dont jump down my throat for asking a question. This IS a forum for questions.

Old 06-02-2007, 12:45 PM   #4
Mooing Tricycle
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lucara
I said I would love to not that I was going to AND I said in the next few years. Alot of things happen in 3+ years. Dont jump down my throat for asking a question. This IS a forum for questions.

Thats all well and good, and im not jumping down your throat. But there are Seriously TOO many iguanas that dont have homes. I dont think anyone would suggest breeding your female, or recommend it.
Its nice to think of your animal passing on its genes to babies, but at the same time, you need to think of those babies welfare later on in life as well.

will they get good homes, will they be taken care of adequately, will they wind up in shelters? will they die within a year due to bad husbandry? These are all things you should think about before breeding any animal.
Some will say once the babies are out of your hands, its out of your control. and, its true to a degree, but you can prevent bad things from happening to those babies, by not ever having them, and being happy with the girly you have If youd like a baby, or babies, why not adopt a few? at least then you wouldnt be adding to the problem of MORE unwanted iguanas. and youd be saving lives :P Something to think about....

Old 06-02-2007, 04:02 PM   #5
Jake The Snake
I agree with Alicia as always. Don't breed them or even consider breeding them if you care about them at all. Iguanas, along with burms are some of the most dumped animals in shelters and are so hard to rehome. Just about ANY shelter you look at will have an iguana or 2 for rescue right now. There just aren't enough people that can properly care for an animal that gets so big and requires that much time and room.

If you care about the species, just get the idea of breeding out of your mind, please.
Jake

Old 06-02-2007, 04:56 PM   #6
Lucara
No I understand. Abby (my iguana) was a rescue. Shes working on 3ft and her previous owners had her on straight juvenile pellets until she completely lost all of her color. As of right now she is slowly gaining her color back but she is my baby so please don't think I don't care about my iguana. Most likely my next iguana if I ever do plan on getting another one would be a rescue as well. I will post pictures of her as soon as she is done shedding. Poor little girl is half green on her tummy and brown on top. =(

Old 06-02-2007, 10:43 PM   #7
Jake The Snake
I understand Sara but its very likely that almost all of the babies will go through exactally what this girl went through if not worse. I would love to see pics of her once she finishes her shed. I love iguanas but its so sad that so many of them end up in unexperienced homes.

Old 06-03-2007, 05:48 PM   #8
Junkyard
A lot of points were made here, yet the questions were never answered. If you are looking for information on breeding iguanas then there are many sources out there on the internet like this one by Melissa Kaplan Iguana Breeding Season Basics and I would highly recommend getting this book: Green Iguana: The Ultimate Owner's Manual by James W. Hatfield which can be bought on Amazon.com

A bit on Melissa, she is pretty old school, she loves iguanas but at the same time does not really recommend them as pets. She has seen the problems with them being sold so cheaply and not taken care of properly. The points made by Alicia and Jake are on the same lines as Melissa. Take the time to seriously think about breeding before you do so and prepare ahead of time because selling them may not be so easy.

Old 06-04-2007, 02:01 AM   #9
Stardust
As someone who has rescued iguanas I totally agree with Alicia and Jake on this. If you talk to rescues they will tell you literally thousands of iguanas need home and are badly abused. Used as ashtrays, paintgun targets and the list of abuses go on and on.

I do not think anyone is jumping down your throat, seriously. I believe they like me are knowledgable in the iguana markets and Florida being populated by them now and rescues having so many that they know they will have to care for until they die. It is a very serious issue and I would strongly recommend you think about this and do research in the years to come if you want to bring more babies in the world to be subjected to lord knows what. That is if you could even GIVE them away.

Old 06-15-2008, 04:26 PM   #10
Kjetil_m
[quote=Stardust]If you talk to rescues they will tell you literally thousands of iguanas need home and are badly abused. Used as ashtrays, paintgun targets and the list of abuses go on and on.QUOTE]

WTF?? Are you serious? Why?? Some people really are crazy??

Oh my god i couldn't imagine somebody doing something like that!!

I just adopted an adult male iguana that had been stored in a little garage for at least five months! I thought that was animal cruilty! But wow!!!

Join now to reply to this thread or open new ones for your questions & comments! FaunaClassifieds.com is the largest online community about Reptile & Amphibians, Snakes, Lizards and number one classifieds service with thousands of ads to look for. Registration is open to everyone and FREE. Click Here to Register!