gett GTP to eat - FaunaClassifieds
FaunaClassifieds  
  Tired of those Google and InfoLink ads? Upgrade Your Membership!
  Inside FaunaClassifieds » Photo Gallery  

Go Back   FaunaClassifieds > Reptile & Amphibian - Snake Discussion Forums > Arboreal Boas/Pythons Discussion Forum

Notices

Old 02-25-2014, 08:09 AM   #1
Tink
gett GTP to eat

So I got a GTP a few weeks ago at the Manchester show and I'm super happy with my lil guy, but I havent managed to get him to eat. He is an Aru Island GTP, and is very docile.

I've seen evidence of urates in the cage, but not poo - since he hasnt eaten for me. He is little and I'm getting kind of worried. I've tried live and frozen, mouse fuzzies and rat pinks. he is in a shoebox sized cage with the hot side being 93 and the cold side being in the high 70's (its a really long and narrow tub) He has one perch, which is on the hot side of the tub.

anyone have suggestions on how to get him to eat??

Old 02-25-2014, 10:06 AM   #2
Snake-Queen
My guess would be that he is too hot. Lower the temp on the hot side & add a dowel on the cool side.

Old 02-26-2014, 09:49 AM   #3
Tink
Thank you for your reply! I lowered the temps and added a couple more dowels and will leave him alone for a bit

Old 02-26-2014, 10:01 AM   #4
Snake-Queen
Let me know if he eats for you.

Old 02-26-2014, 11:15 AM   #5
Tink
How long is you think I should wait? A week or less ( or more..)

Old 02-26-2014, 11:16 AM   #6
Tink
Err **how long do you think

Old 02-26-2014, 02:01 PM   #7
Snake-Queen
4-5 days

Old 03-02-2014, 09:07 PM   #8
Reisreptiles
Try feeding an anole if nothing else works. I've heard they'll be quicker to eat anoles than rodents, sometimes. But I may be wrong.

Old 03-02-2014, 10:34 PM   #9
East_Coast
Lena, Do not feed an anole to that snake unless it is still not eating 8 weeks from now - or longer.

Take the newspaper and water bowl out and put 1 to 1.5" of water in the tub. The air temp in that tub should be about 85F.

Wait a week and then offer it a very warm fuzzy from tongs at about 9 or 10 PM.

You can warm the fuzzy by thawing it in scalding hot water from your tap, then towel dry and immediately offer it to the snake.

Grab it with the tongs so you can offer it nose first to the snake. If it is not "awake" then bump it a few times to get its attention and then try to be gentle enough so you get a tongue flick and the snake does not tuck its head in its coils.

If that does not work you can try just leaving the fuzzy draped over the perch. I have actually gotten baby chondros that have never eaten to start taking pinkies this way.

That snake looks like it has had several meals - Nothing to panic about for a couple of months.

Remain calm and carefully read what I wrote above because it works - and I hate non-feeding snakes more than most people.

Good luck.

Old 03-02-2014, 10:37 PM   #10
East_Coast
Also, if the snake grabs the fuzzy and either drops it or flings it away - that is good. Many times (MANY TIMES) I have had them take the food item and eat it after they have angrily flung the fuzzy away a few times and also when they have dropped it.

The trick is to get them to bite it so the snout of the mouse is in its throat. There is something about that and it makes them instinctively start to swallow.

Join now to reply to this thread or open new ones for your questions & comments! FaunaClassifieds.com is the largest online community about Reptile & Amphibians, Snakes, Lizards and number one classifieds service with thousands of ads to look for. Registration is open to everyone and FREE. Click Here to Register!