One More Reason to Test for Adenovirus - Page 27 - FaunaClassifieds
FaunaClassifieds  
  Tired of those Google and InfoLink ads? Upgrade Your Membership!
  Inside FaunaClassifieds » Photo Gallery  

Go Back   FaunaClassifieds > Reptile & Amphibian - Lizard Discussion Forums > Bearded Dragons Discussion Forum

Notices

Old 03-07-2007, 11:14 PM   #261
trapieter
hi puppy, are you concerned that yours may have the virus then? it is better to be safe than sorry and glad you are taking the test. how many beardies do you have?how ever it turns out there will be support for you on here

I would say that it is best not to jump to conclusions on who is spreading the virus untill it is clearly evident and my understanding is petsmart and petco kept changing suppliers. even if sandfire has siad they have it in their collection does not mean they are selling juvies/babies from adeno positive parents... they would have a alot to lose by doing so. its a big name. anyway I'm sure someone will put true facts in on the matter. till then fingers crossed for you and your beardie.

jojo xxx

Old 03-08-2007, 03:25 AM   #262
Denisebme
Quote:
Originally Posted by puppytoes72
ty for your response.i believe sandfire has adeno in their collection,am i right?i should be getting the test kit tommorow from lou ann.i really dont have a good feeling about this.
I'm glad you're testing, and I wish you luck.
As far as Sandfire goes, I can only speak from personal experience. I have sandfire lines in my collection and they have tested negative. I have not heard anything about Sandfire selling or breeding positive animals and I know a LOT of people who own those lines and also have tested thier animals with negative results.
I would encourage people to be very cautious about using specific breeders names in connection with this. If you have personal experience, that's one thing, but I've heard a lot of people repeating rumors about who has it in their collections and who doesn't, and that is simply unfair. My advice is simple, if you are concerned about the testing status of a dragon you own or a dragon you are thinking of buying, ask the owner directly about the testing status of the animal. If they say that they don't test, and you already own the animal, get it tested. If you are thinking about buying the animal, you can simply walk away from the sale and find a breeder that has tested.
This is one of those cases where being an informed buyer can save you a lot of heartache. Ask questions, ask for proof of test results, ask whatever you have to to set your mind at ease. As a breeder, its my job to answer those questions to the best of my ability or have a darn good reason why I can't.

Old 03-08-2007, 10:09 AM   #263
trapieter
thanks denise that was kinda what I was meant to say... I must have forgot to add it in lol. Anyway we have sort of decided on this thread to stop the finger pointing I think after the bad feeling it caused and the fact it was not doing anyone any good in regard to the help they were asking for. denise has good advice worth following.

I think this is the problem, it is huge and needs to be dealt with but in a pro active way which is through the advice denise has given which is knowlege. ASK QUESTIONS from breeders, get your own tested so you can track it back and we can stop it spreading but don't cause mass hysteria becasue I think this is what the breeders are scared of, one bad rumour could ruin there business. Also consider those breeders who have had adeno in their colonies but have controlled the infection, tested every other breeder and quarenteened for a year or more then began breeding again. They had the virus in one or two parents but not all, it did not spread and they can sell again. just because a breeder has history does not mean that they will be selling adeno babies, you need to ask and get proof. If anything these breeders wil be the more vigilant in my opinion, been there done that and don't ever want to go through it again!
its hard on both sides and I think we have to understand that finger pointing and rumour spreading to some degree scares breeders. And adeno threat alone is scary enough. For many of them it's the same thing, they bought a dragon from someone else and it had adeno and they didn't know! problem for them is it is not only a favourite pet they love it is also their lively hood. I think they deserve some sympathy in this situation, and all those that come forward will always get 100% support from me and I think everyone else.
As for dachui... wow she has so many dragons I think she would have to hope they do a discount for mass testing!! I could see how that would be one scary prospect!
but who knows maybe she has tested and shes just stringing us all along lol maybe thats why she can't afford the uva/b lmao

Anyway I just wanted to point out that we need to be a supportive community to all and use our own knowledge to protect ourselves, just be aware of how this affects everyone, not just the buyer. The aim is to find it and stop it. (can you tell I'm awake now lol)

let us know what the results are puppy we will all be here for ya xx

jojoxx

Old 03-08-2007, 11:32 AM   #264
walker75
My understanding is that most of them come from Sandfire. To be completely fair though, there are quite a few wholesalers out there that sell to petstores.

Petsmart and Petco are now asking questions from suppliers and breeders of bearded dragons as it is not profitable for them anymore. They buy in mass quanities and the cost of after sale health bills exceed the profit margin.

They reimburse for dissatisfaction, death of pet if in a period of time, vet bills and supplies sold.They also have to watch there reputation as selling / offering healthy pets.

Anyway I just wanted to point out that we need to be a supportive community to all and use our own knowledge to protect ourselves, just be aware of how this affects everyone, not just the buyer. The aim is to find it and stop it. (can you tell I'm awake now lol)

Great post and I think / know this is a great idea

Old 03-08-2007, 02:02 PM   #265
walker75
correction I meant to say wholesalers of bearded dragons and imply breeders

Old 03-08-2007, 02:05 PM   #266
walker75
should of left this alone anyway I meant to say wholesalers and NOT just breeders.

I was informed they wanted some testing done but that this will not happen.

Old 03-08-2007, 03:57 PM   #267
puppytoes72
Quote:
Originally Posted by trapieter
hi puppy, are you concerned that yours may have the virus then? it is better to be safe than sorry and glad you are taking the test. how many beardies do you have?how ever it turns out there will be support for you on here

I would say that it is best not to jump to conclusions on who is spreading the virus untill it is clearly evident and my understanding is petsmart and petco kept changing suppliers. even if sandfire has siad they have it in their collection does not mean they are selling juvies/babies from adeno positive parents... they would have a alot to lose by doing so. its a big name. anyway I'm sure someone will put true facts in on the matter. till then fingers crossed for you and your beardie.

jojo xxx
ty for your support jojo(i have one beardie and her name is JOJO i am very concerne about this virus.like you said,its better to be safe than sorry and find out.i love her very much and i want to give her the best care possible and her husbandry is perfect.(4x2x2 cage,megaray sb,repcal products,tempgun and probe therm)she has been having someunexplainable issues going on with her so thats why i decided to test.the test arrived today and hopefully i will be able to get a fresh sample over the weekend.i will post the result as soon as i get it.thanks again.ps:i didnt mean to assume anything sandfire,i thought i heard that somewhere.my apologies!

Old 03-08-2007, 04:03 PM   #268
puppytoes72
also ty denise and walker.again im sorry if i misunderstood about sandfire.i just read a reply earlier in the thread about how sandfire stopped selling to petstores until"they can figure out why their babies are dying".that could have been a total rumor.i will update on here when i get the results.thanks.

Old 03-08-2007, 04:30 PM   #269
trapieter
hey puppy, your welcome. It sounds like jojo has a lovely set up, nice name too, but I'm a little bias lol. yea I remember that post too actually but its a bit hazey during the blitz part of this thread.

how old is jojo? when your results come in we will be here to give you all the help you need. and if it isn't adeno then maybe we can help find out what else it could be whilst celebrating

take care for now

jojo xx

Old 03-08-2007, 05:57 PM   #270
pscaulkins
Hey puppytoes, glad you finally got your kit. Hopefully she is negative. She is a sweet heart. I posted early on in this site and it was a emotional post that I should not have posted. I have two positives that we love very much and our female has had some major problems.

I have learned a lot from this site and a few others. I am always looking for more information.

I commend all the breeders that have come forward and tested. If we all work together there is a better chance of getting a strong understanding of this horrible virus that threatens the beardie community.

Join now to reply to this thread or open new ones for your questions & comments! FaunaClassifieds.com is the largest online community about Reptile & Amphibians, Snakes, Lizards and number one classifieds service with thousands of ads to look for. Registration is open to everyone and FREE. Click Here to Register!