strange, found a male rat dead today - FaunaClassifieds
FaunaClassifieds  
  Tired of those Google and InfoLink ads? Upgrade Your Membership!
  Inside FaunaClassifieds » Photo Gallery  

Go Back   FaunaClassifieds > Reptile & Amphibian - General Discussion Forums > Feed, Caging, Supplies & Services

Notices

Feed, Caging, Supplies & Services Discussions concerning the feeding requirements of any of our critters, the cages they need to live in while in our care, and all of the supplies and services needed to do this right.

Old 02-04-2008, 01:59 PM   #1
suzuki4life
strange, found a male rat dead today

he was little over a year old. No injuries I saw. Body was stiff but not hard so he wasn't dead for long. Opened the bin to look for babies and found a dead rat right up front. All the others were cuddled in the back away from him. Veyr strange and first time its ever occured.

Old 02-04-2008, 07:36 PM   #2
The BoidSmith
Gary,

The only prerrequisite for a living creature to die is to be alive in the first place. It happens to us humans and to animals too. The problem now is to try to introduce a new male into the colony so it will not be killed by the mature females.

Regards,

Old 02-04-2008, 08:09 PM   #3
suzuki4life
juist makes me wonder if i am breeding them too long before I use them as food. He was barely a year old, big and looked healthy yesterday. Very nice tan colored boy. Just very odd. Colonies get mixed up weekly so they will be fine.

Old 02-06-2008, 11:18 AM   #4
suzuki4life
second rat dead.....this is looking bad. large female, different bin. Same deal, no injuries.

Old 02-10-2008, 02:58 PM   #5
bullfrog100000
We have some rats ourselves... though we sell them as pets, not food. Most people who do the feeder rat breeding WAY WAY WAY overbreed, interbreed, etc.
Unfortunately you've probably bred in some bad genetics. My guess would be cancer... did you feel for tumors.
Another thing is that feeders are not "mentally stimulated", with toys, human contact, etc. and this actually does have a negative impact on health and life span.
I would say get some rats from a show out of town or something... add a lot of new, different blood to your colony. Secondly, a year might be a bit long to keep a feeder with a boring life... since health issues will show up.
Good luck.

Join now to reply to this thread or open new ones for your questions & comments! FaunaClassifieds.com is the largest online community about Reptile & Amphibians, Snakes, Lizards and number one classifieds service with thousands of ads to look for. Registration is open to everyone and FREE. Click Here to Register!