High radiation levels at Fukushima reactor is bad, bad news - FaunaClassifieds
FaunaClassifieds  
  Tired of those Google and InfoLink ads? Upgrade Your Membership!
  Inside FaunaClassifieds » Photo Gallery  

Go Back   FaunaClassifieds > General Interest Forums > General BS forum

Notices

General BS forum I guess anything is fair game in here. Just watch the subject matter doesn't get carried away too much.

Old 02-04-2017, 06:19 PM   #1
JColt
High radiation levels at Fukushima reactor is bad, bad news

Time to reconsider that trip to the east coast of Japan.

A containment vessel at the destroyed Fukushima No. 1 power plant has reached off-the-chart radiation levels, reported the Japan Times.

The reading of 530 sieverts per hour represents the highest level of radiation the reactor site has seen since three nuclear meltdowns hit the power plant in March 2011 almost six years ago -- and also among the most deadly.

To put the danger to human life into perspective, the 530 sieverts reading is high enough to prove fatal during even brief exposure, compounding the problem of containment for the government and Tokyo Power Electric Company (TEPCO). 4 sieverts would kill one in two people, and 1 seivert could lead to hair loss and infertility, the Japan Times noted, citing the National Institute of Radiological Sciences.

Experts believe that escaped melted fuel can account for the spiked reading.

The Fukushima 1 Nuclear Power Plant suffered a series of meltdowns and explosions after Tsunami-triggered earthquakes crippled Japan's coast. The cleanup is expected to take decades.

https://www.cnet.com/news/deathly-hi...inkId=34120395

Old 02-04-2017, 06:25 PM   #2
WebSlave
Yeah, this just doesn't seem like the kind of problem that will just go away on it's own.

Any word on how much of that contamination is leaking into the Pacific Ocean?

Old 02-04-2017, 08:07 PM   #3
Lucille
What they have in place as far as I know are still all temporary remedies. I think there is a lot of coverup, I do not understand how there could not be increasing contamination in the Pacific.
http://www.faunaclassifieds.com/foru...d.php?t=589622

Old 02-04-2017, 11:48 PM   #4
WebSlave
Just more fake news and coverups by the mainstream media. Same thing happened with the Ebola stuff. Info just STOPPED dead in it's tracks to leave everyone in the dark about what was happening. Who the heck knows what else is going on that we SHOULD be made aware of, but aren't?

I just stopped reading and watching anything from the government owned media sources. Yeah, exposes me to a lot of really off the wall stuff, sometimes, but honestly, at least it is much more interesting, and sadly enough, sometimes even more believable than the idiotic propaganda crap they try to force down my throat.

Old 02-05-2017, 08:12 AM   #5
JColt
Quote:
Originally Posted by WebSlave View Post
Yeah, this just doesn't seem like the kind of problem that will just go away on it's own.

Any word on how much of that contamination is leaking into the Pacific Ocean?
http://www.pbs.org/newshour/updates/...pacific-ocean/

Quote:
More than 80 percent of the radioactivity from the damaged reactors ended up in the Pacific — far more than reached the ocean from Chernobyl or Three Mile Island. Of this, a small fraction is currently on the seafloor — the rest was swept up by the Kuroshio current, a western Pacific version of the Gulf Stream, and carried out to sea where it mixed with (and was diluted by) the vast volume of the North Pacific. These materials, primarily two isotopes of cesium, only recently began to appear in the eastern Pacific: In 2015 we detected signs of radioactive contamination from Fukushima along the coast near British Columbia and California.

Old 02-05-2017, 09:51 AM   #6
JColt
Fukushima Radiation Makes Landfall On US West Coast – And It’s Only The Beginning

fukushimaradiation
Fukushima Radiation Makes Landfall On US West Coast – And It’s Only The Beginning

Facebook Twitter Google+ Pinterest

Seaborne Cesium 134, a radioactive isotope released by the 2011 Fukushima disaster, has been detected on the US’ Pacific coast for the first time by independent researchers
After the catastrophic triple meltdown of the Fukushima Daiichi nuclear power plant in 2011, the Japanese government and the plant’s parent company, Tokyo Electric Power Company (TEPCO), worked to cover up the damage done and downplay the amount of radiation the disaster had released into the environment. Though the disaster’s many impacts have been suspiciously absent from mainstream media reports in the years since, the radiation pouring out of the plant’s damaged reactors have never stopped. To this day, 300 tons of contaminated, radioactive water flow into the Pacific Ocean every day as many of the leaks can never be sealed due to the extreme heat. Now, nearly six years after the meltdown, radiation from Fukushima has made landfall on the West coast of the United States, signaling a dangerous new era for residents and wildlife along the Pacific coastal region.

Researchers from the Woods Hole Oceanographic Institution (WHOI), a crowd-funded team of scientists, announced yesterday that they had detected, for the first time, seaborne cesium 134 in seawater on the shores of Tillamook Bay in Oregon. The group has been monitoring the waterborne radiation as it extends from Fukushima across the Pacific for years. According to WHOI as well as other scientists, cesium 134, a dangerous and carcinogenic radioactive isotope, could only have originated from the Fukushima disaster due to its short half-life, or rate of decay.
Fishermen in the US Northwest and Alaska have recently noticed an increase in fish with cancerous tumors and growths Credit – LEO AlaskaThe samples themselves contained 0.3 becquerels/m3 of the isotope, a relatively small amount that some researchers and corporate media outlets say poses “no risk to humans or the environment.” However, there is no such thing as “safe” amounts of radiation, which is particularly true of radioactive cesium as it imitates potassium within the body. Japanese citizens were also told there was nothing to worry about, despite the fact that cancer rates have spiked since the incident. The real and unstated danger here is that of bioaccumulation. Bioaccumulation refers to the gradual build-up over time of chemicals in an organism, absorbing the substance at a faster rate than it is excreted. Now, that Fukushima radiation has reached the US, those living on the West Coast or eating fish from that region could be at risk if they consume radioactive water or fish as all consumed cesium would remain in their body, continuously causing damage until it is excreted. Children are said to be especially at risk. Another reason why there is cause for concern is that these samples were actually collected in January 2016 and not tested until recently, suggesting that landfall may have happened earlier than thought. This, in turn, would also mean that higher levels of cesium as more of Fukushima’s radiation has made contact with Western coastal shores in the months since as researchers have said that radiation will not “peak” until well after the plume’s initial landfall.
No matter how often the Japanese government, TEPCO, or the corporate media say that radiation from Fukushima is nothing to worry, ignoring a problem does not make it go away. The wrld’s oceans, particularly the Pacific Ocean, are in the midst of an unprecedented crisis as mass die-offs of fish and coral are signaling that something is horribly wrong. These trends, combined with the devastating effects of over-fishing, led the World Wildlife Fund to recently warn that all marine life could die out before the year 2050, less than forty years from now. It is incredible that a nuclear disaster that has leaked 300 tons of radioactive water into the ocean every day for the last five years could have no effect on the massive environmental crisis unfolding before our eyes. Until Fukushima’s consequences are acknowledged and treated with the concern they clearly merit, we will continue to be unable to understand the true scope of the problem.

http://www.healthy-holistic-living.c...ing.html?t=HHL

Old 02-05-2017, 12:13 PM   #7
WebSlave
Yeah, I stopped eating Alaskan king crab right after I read about this event, and do not intend to ever eat it again. Unfortunate, as I really love king crab, but it is what it is.
Attached Images

Old 02-06-2017, 04:17 PM   #8
WebSlave
I'm thinking that surfing anywhere on the Pacific coast of the USA might not be a real good idea....

Old 02-06-2017, 04:26 PM   #9
WebSlave
So this has all been treated as an "out of sight, out of mind" situation... Well, it certainly is NOT going away.

Old 02-06-2017, 04:31 PM   #10
Lucille
I wonder how much of the fish we eat comes from affected areas? When I was younger I'd go buy fresh fish sometimes from the markets not too far away, but I have to admit to buying boxes of frozen fillets now.
I'm sure if I looked on the package it would say something, but I'm getting to the point that I don't necessarily trust that info all the time.

Join now to reply to this thread or open new ones for your questions & comments! FaunaClassifieds.com is the largest online community about Reptile & Amphibians, Snakes, Lizards and number one classifieds service with thousands of ads to look for. Registration is open to everyone and FREE. Click Here to Register!