Adam Block (Inquiry) - Page 5 - FaunaClassifieds
FaunaClassifieds  
  Tired of those Google and InfoLink ads? Upgrade Your Membership!
  Inside FaunaClassifieds » Photo Gallery  

Go Back   FaunaClassifieds > Reptile & Amphibian - Business Forums > Board of Inquiry®

Notices

Board of Inquiry® This forum is provided exclusively for the discussion of specific persons or businesses in the herp industry.

Old 02-01-2003, 11:39 PM   #41
Darin Chappell
I remember when I was a child, listening from time to time to my parents, aunts and uncles, and grandparents talk about family business. Many of the things they were discussing were beyond my understanding for several reasons at the time, but much of it was due to the fact that there was a history in the family that occurred long before I was born. Because of this, the CONTEXT of their discussions simply alluded me, and I was incapable of fully comprehending why everyone held the positions they did.

I believe that this is the same phenomenon that some of you newer folks are experiencing here on the BOI. I do not at all mean to imply that you are children in ANY way! I merely mean that, being new to the BOI family, there is a subtle context that you may not yet have grasped, because so much family history has transpired before you joined us here.

For example, there is no "inner circle" here. I know it seems that way because so many of us post so often, and we all pretty well come down on the same side of an issue. However, that is more because many of us have the same professional values, and we simply detest those practices which leave others who are less educated about internet business wondering what happened to their snakes and/or money. Several of us have been associated with this site for quite a while and have seen the scam artists come and go regularly. I can't tell you how many people have been shown to be lying, cheating, scammers (and I mean with bona fide, solid PROOF) by the efforts of the people here at the BOI. Are we a clique? If by that you mean a group of people with common interests that want nothing more or less than a safe environment in which to do business as buyers and sellers on the internet in the reptile industry, then yes, I suppose we are. However, if you mean that we are a group of people who get together and decide who we will lynch next week, or that we compare notes before we determine how we'll come down on an issue, I assure you NOTHING is further from the truth.

In fact, let me just say (without airing any old family laundry) that there have been SEVERAL times when some of us old-timers have gone after each other tooth and nail. Why? Because no one, NO ONE is cut any slack here on the BOI. If Rich Zuchowski ripped someone off, and he was unwilling to do right by the person in question, I promise you that this board would go down in flames calling Rich out for his actions. No one is safe from the probing eyes of this forum when they determine to lie, cheat, or steal, and I am thankful for that fact.

So, let me say "Welcome to the family!" I am glad you are here, and I am sure everyone else is also. If you have questions, ask them. If you think someone is being unfairly judged, say something about it. If you want to see proof before believing anyone, that's what this forum is for, so demand it! No one will think any less of you, and no one will jump all over you for asking (if they do, some of us old-timers will set them straight). Just please try to understand that there may very well be some previous information in the family history of which you might not be aware. We'll tell you about it if you ask us, but we may not realize who has, and has not been around long enough to recall when "so and so" said "such and such."

Thanks for reading my uncharacteristically long post!

Old 02-01-2003, 11:46 PM   #42
BrianB
I think there IS one big difference between Webslave's price list with "sold out" being used in proxy for "didn't produce" or "not available" and Adam's price list: Rich has a proven track record with corns, period. If he did not produce a morph in any given season, chances are he has produced it. If it's a new morph he's just added to the price list and he fails to produce it, odds are at some point he'll produce them, because he's produced probably about a bazillion and a half corns. He's not trying to use the pricelist to establish his credibility.

Now, in Adam's case, it seems like "sold out" may be an attempt to establish credibility with a species he's not known for producing. My understanding is that Adam produces mainly colubrids and that's what his track record is with. I did think after looking at his site and seeing those balls that he meant he'd brokered them.

Now, I think that if he brokered them, and that's why they're "sold out," then no harm, no foul. If he's just posting juvies he plans to raise up as "sold out." then I think it'd be more appropriate to post them on a page of future projects or something. Just my opinion.

Is it a question worth asking? Personally, I don't see it as warranting a whole thread myself, though I don't fault Ritchie for it in the least. To me, those snakes' label is a drop in the bucket compared to a lot of things that have come straight from Adam's own keyboard. But, Ritchie's post is no worse than any other inquiry asking about animals seen advertised, even if marked "sold out."

Someone asked if it was OK if NERD sold an undersized snake?

Well, that depends, doesn't it?

1. The feed card shows slow feeding in the winter. The ball could well have been trying to shut down for the winter, and they've been known to go quite a while without food.

2. A lightly fed snake doesn't necessarily equate to an unhealthy one.

3. There was no proof that the snake was actually represented as two years old, and there was no proof that the snake was in any way misrepresented.

4. NERD did not deny selling that snake, nor deny its weight. They haven't lied about anything, and based on 1-3 don't have any motive to do so.

5. If you look at the feedings from the new owner, you will see quite a few feedings in a row that are only FOUR DAYS apart. Last time I checked, overfeeding was a worse practice than underfeeding.

Considering the timeframe involved with this other snake -- which has nothing to do with the complaint about Adam's albino -- I'd have to say that NERD was clear of any fault in the situation. If the buyer thought the snake was underweight for it's age (which should really be underweight for its length) then he should have returned the snake. Period. The snake has problems after a ton of overfeeding WAY down the road from the purchase, and people think the problem lies with the breeder? Let's be honest. Liability ends somewhere. At some point, the buyer has a responsibility for the welfare of the animal. Animals DO die, and sometimes it's NOBODY's fault. And it really, really sucks. But it's a risk that people take on when getting into breeding.

As for the deleted thread: Adam's assaults on NERD went WAY over the line and there IS a guideline that you have to be able to back up your statements in some way in the BOI guidelines. There always has been. I'm glad to see it being enforced. Heck, I had a guideline enforced on me the other day and I'm glad of it. (Got hot under the collar at seeing a post by a farm operation I personally despise -- but my post was inappropriate and got nuked. As it should have been.)

Anyway, just my .02 on a couple of things here.

Old 02-01-2003, 11:55 PM   #43
Uffern
Very well said, Darin. I'd like to point out that I am by no means one of the "old timers," yet, the first day I came to this board, I registered and voiced my opinions on the topics I thought I could add something to. To my surprise, I was taken seriously, and when I disagreed with the majority, I was not set upon like a lamb. At first, I expected there to be an unspoken ranking, a pecking order, but I soon realized that each post is taken on it's merit.

I am not a well known breeder (yet), but I personally believe I have nothing to fear from the BOI, as I know I am a good guy. I am thankful that people like Ritchie and the other slueths are here, as I know that if the day comes that someone posts something eroneus about me, they will be there to help expose the truth of the matter.

Just the other day I was telling another breeder that he should put a link to the BOI on his site when it is up and running. He didn't want to at first saying, "What if someone goes on there and says something bad about me just to hurt me?" I told him that there are people here that will sniff out the lies like my tegu does mice. After a few minutes of explaining how the BOI works, he decided it was a good idea to have the link. Just give it a little time and observe how things work. I am certain you will have as much faith in this board as the rest of us.

Old 02-02-2003, 12:04 AM   #44
Stardust
Massage therapist came over today and gave me a GREAT massage so I am tired early and will retire for tonight.
I did want to say, Ritchie, thank you for showing you have a human side, maybe somewhere in the middle of your hammering you should somehow try to reflect that, so us newcomers can see it.
And I am sure you can understand that when I address you and Webslave and Ken come on (even in a nice way that they did) it reminds me of a recent nightmare from hmmmm somewhere else hmmmm tho the name eludes me at the moment. See what I am saying from an "outsiders" point of view?
You could have just kept the same thread going of Adams.
Oh by the way, I did in this thread AND Adams say if he has info or proof to get on with it and get it out. (again not my exact words)
I am not going to get into what Nerd did not answer as well as what Adam did not answer, if his apologies mean nothing here anyway, and he will not respond. Let it go, just like if NERD does not respond to how old the snake was.
Adam asked webslave, if I have that right, on how to post that here, there was talk of that. Oh forget it for tonight, feeling to good to let this get to me
Just be human, I am sure you helped a lot of people just don't let it go to your head.

Rozann Lamont

Old 02-02-2003, 12:07 AM   #45
Stardust
oh cant forget this, Darin you are funnier than he11!

Old 02-02-2003, 12:15 AM   #46
BrianB
Here's what I'm talking about on the feed card. Maybe this is all OK, but I wanted to be clear in my prior statement:

NERD's last few feedings (according to person who posted card):

2/11
3/11
3/22
3/27
4/10
5/7
5/19

Ok, looks like at this point, the snake was eating about once a month (the feedings from Oct through Jan were about a month apart on average, as well), then picked up feeding in March (Spring) and then didn't feed much in April for some reason. Kind of up and down, and really seeing the feed card, I wouldn't buy it myself. Really, though, the owner DID buy the snake and since he has the feed card, it's not like he didn't know prior to or at least soon after the sale.

Now, the new owner's first few feedings:

5/31 -> Pretty good, about 11 days after the last feeding. Let the snake settle it seems.
6/5 (five days later, bare minimum IMO)
6/11 (six days later)
6/15 (four days)
6/19 (four days)
6/22 (three days)
6/28 (six days)
6/29 (the next day? huh?)
7/8 (seven days after a lot of heavy feeding)(june has 30 days, right?)
7/9 (next day again and I wonder if the owner can't gauge how much to feed at one meal or not)
7/12 (three days after doubling up two feedings a day apart)
7/15 (another three days)

OK, I'm going to be up front and admit that I'm not a big time ball python breeder, but I have kept a ball and I have kept snakes for several years. I believe that this feeding schedule is a bit on the heavy side, even for a ball. The original post noted a huge weight gain, as well. Is it possible that the rapid weight gain was a problem? Is it possible after several months in the new owner's care that any reasonable person would blame NERD?

Perhaps the light feeding schedule caused problems for the snake. I don't think it would based on my own experience, but perhaps someone can enlighten me. On the other hand, if the new owner thought that the snake was smaller than it should be, and had a record of spotty feeding, and STILL decided to keep the snake.... then it was a known risk.

Old 02-02-2003, 12:20 AM   #47
Clay Davenport
The issue with this inquiry is valid in my mind. While on the surface, no harm has been done, and I personally don't think Adam has any plans of ripping anyone off, it does illustrate an aspect of character.
Rich said he has done the same thing with his pricelist, but the difference lies in the intent. Rich has produced more than a few cornsnakes in the past, and it's a safe assumption that he will produce a few more in the future.
But when you start using this same strategy with very high end animals which you have yet to sell any at all, then the intent is to artificially raise your perceived status to a level much higher than it really is.
Anyone who deals in pie bald balls is considered one of the more major players. It's not an issue of whether Adam produced any, but whether he ever had any in his possesion to sell. Even if he were only brokering pie balds, then that would still place him in a more "elite" catagory than the average person selling snakes.
Whether he bred them or brokered them is irrelevant. If he possesed and sold these snakes, then the point is moot.

Adam constantly reinforces this perception with comments suggesting that a $2500 investment in an albino ball python was small change, and claiming an inflated picture of his experience. It's not the details it's the intent, and his intent is to artificially establish his credibility. Even if you word the truth in such a way it leads someone to believe seomthing else, the result is still a lie.

Old 02-02-2003, 12:27 AM   #48
Darin Chappell
"On the other hand, if the new owner thought that the snake was smaller than it should be, and had a record of spotty feeding, and STILL decided to keep the snake.... then it was a known risk."

THAT is a very good point, Brian. Well put!

It's funny how you can read over an issue several times and still not see something that is rather glaringly obvious! However, I missed it completely until you pointed it out. Thanks!

Old 02-02-2003, 12:46 AM   #49
HerpVenue
Quote:
I did want to say, Ritchie, thank you for showing you have a human side, maybe somewhere in the middle of your hammering you should somehow try to reflect that, so us newcomers can see it
I keep thinking everyone knows about the BOI and that everyone knows everything that went on in the past.
I forget that new people come here and have "no clue" (for lack of a better term. No insult intended) as to what has transpired in the past. Even us "old timers" learn something new. I learned to always include links or quotes. Do not assume everyone knows everything.

Old 02-02-2003, 01:50 AM   #50
R Reptile Ranch
I wasn't going to touch this post because I am a newbie and don't want to give people the wrong impression. But trust is the biggest part of selling reptiles thru the internet. When I go to a website and see the words SOLD OUT next to an animal, I am under the assuption they breed this particular animal. In my opinion if they never had the animal and put SOLD OUT next to it on their website they are misrepresenting themselves, in other words deceiving their customers just to make themselves look bigger and better then what they really are. This not only hurts his reputation but could turn someone off from buying reptiles online. Which would affect everyone in this industry.

Personally, Adam has jumped all over me for posting in the wrong section. Again, I am new at posting here and did not know the different areas of this site. I am only adding this because in an earlier post which had an appology from Adam he stated he would not jump all over someone for posting here. I'm not doing this to get back at Adam because of what he did to me, I'm just stating the facts.

Join now to reply to this thread or open new ones for your questions & comments! FaunaClassifieds.com is the largest online community about Reptile & Amphibians, Snakes, Lizards and number one classifieds service with thousands of ads to look for. Registration is open to everyone and FREE. Click Here to Register!