Am I over thinking this for a small hobbyist? - FaunaClassifieds
FaunaClassifieds  
  Tired of those Google and InfoLink ads? Upgrade Your Membership!
  Inside FaunaClassifieds » Photo Gallery  

Go Back   FaunaClassifieds > Reptile & Amphibian - Business Forums > General Business Discussions

Notices

General Business Discussions This is a general purpose forum open to business related topics concerning Reptiles and Amphibians that are neither appropriate for the Board of Inquiry, nor sales, purchase, or trade solicitations.

Old 04-08-2014, 01:46 PM   #1
Jermosh
Am I over thinking this for a small hobbyist?

Greetings all,

I have been a lurker here for sometime and mostly reading and picking up some ideas and gearing pricing and what good ethics are ruled as.

I am a hobbyist and most likely will always be, while I do have some investment in cageing and supplies, its a drop in the bucket compared to others. My real passion is Burmese Pythons, as many of you know they are on the Lacy Act. I was really pipping the idea to maybe start a small breeding project, especially interested in Dwarfs and HDs, then in Jan '12 they announced the ban, so I needed to or get off the pot. So I purchased a HD line from Art in Scales in Colorado, it went well, I did get a very sick Hypo Burm, but they were helpful and paid all the Vet bills, was a bad situation for both parties, but at least it was not all on me other then I got attached to the poor guy.

So fast forward to now, I have a large clutch of F3 HD Burms, they will at least be Wildtype Het Granite. I am in AZ, large state, very active with Reptiles, I have a good repore with some excellent reptile pet stores, an active volunteer at PHS and have ties with the other Herp groups as well. I am set to keep the clutch for the long term, I do not need to dump them the day after they shed and eat.

My thought process with each purchase is to provide 2 generation pedigree, with pictures, literature on Burmese Python care, a hand picked selection of Exotic Vets in AZ, and a list of approved rescues and a note that they can mention my name at the Rescue.

So I will not allow any business at my home, I live in a secluded area anyways, so its most likely not that big of a concern. I show my HD burm at science fairs, field trips, etc, etc. Many are interested in the line due to their smaller size and temperament.

My largest concern is flippers really, of course I am not talking about legit pet stores. My friend did have a nice clutch last year and sold all the babies fast, but only to see many of them being flipped and moved back and forth from owner to owner. I do not want that to happen, I want to control my line and have some legitimacy with my product. Any thoughts? Am I being a stuck up snob?

That said, I do have other projects going on as well. I hit the jackpot and found a successful breeder of true 'python bivittatus progschai' in state and acquired a pair that are doing great and thriving. I am planing on crossing the 1.0 dwarf with a 0.1 mainland hypo albino(pearl). I will base much of my projects based on how well my current clutch sells of course.

Sorry for my ramblings, thanks for your time.

Join now to reply to this thread or open new ones for your questions & comments! FaunaClassifieds.com is the largest online community about Reptile & Amphibians, Snakes, Lizards and number one classifieds service with thousands of ads to look for. Registration is open to everyone and FREE. Click Here to Register!