Boxie laying eggs, first of the season!! - FaunaClassifieds
FaunaClassifieds  
  Tired of those Google and InfoLink ads? Upgrade Your Membership!
  Inside FaunaClassifieds » Photo Gallery  

Go Back   FaunaClassifieds > Reptile & Amphibian - General Discussion Forums > Turtles & Tortoises Discussion Forum

Notices

Turtles & Tortoises Discussion Forum This forum is for the purpose of discussing any topics concerning the turtles and tortoises of the world.

Old 06-02-2010, 02:32 AM   #1
joseydiann
Talking Boxie laying eggs, first of the season!!

This is what I spent my night doing! Took her till 1am to finish.
Just thought I would should share, I have around humm 15-20 adult female boxies. It's gonna be a big season with alot of new babies. Some of my females lay 7-8 eggs each..

I have a Video but have to upload it to Utube. Kinda cool in the vid how she just plops them right out and starts kicking them around in the hole lol..

Anyway first lay of the season that I know of I hope I didn't miss any females laying..

Amanda

Old 06-02-2010, 02:34 AM   #2
Bob Kite
Congrats Amanda!

Old 06-02-2010, 02:55 AM   #3
joseydiann
Thank you Bob..

Only 4 eggs BUT they were rather large lol.

Amanda

Old 06-03-2010, 12:22 AM   #4
zzzdanz
That's awesome...With all those Females, you'll have quite a few more eggs come'n I'm sure.

Old 06-03-2010, 12:28 AM   #5
joseydiann
MORE???

Well it seems it's two for one night haha..

2ns and 3rd Clutches of the season.

The 2nd female didn't finish the poor girl was busy digging that nest all evening and most of the night but just wasn't getting anywhere, she had a nice hole started BUT came into alot of ruts that she could not did through, so after alot of sweating the poor exhausted girl gave up, walked away, and went to bed. I'll catch her tomorrow night though.

I had fun, I stayed outside for most of the night, I built a little campfire and ate watermelon while I waited on them and it was after 11pm haha..

Amanda

Old 06-03-2010, 12:31 AM   #6
joseydiann
Thanks Dan and yes I will..

Oh and that's 8 eggs so far..

My goal is to raise all the babies till their shells get nice and hard and then release them back into the wild here.. They are protected outside till then so they rats, birds, snakes ect... don't eat them..

I've had some of the female for 15 years!
I find it very sad how few there are these days, with all the logging of the land and trees here in WV well it has killed out the boxies.

Amanda

Old 06-03-2010, 01:07 AM   #7
zzzdanz
Yup, we where posting at the same time.That's cool that you plan to release them.
Maybe some kind of state forest or something where the trees wont be cut down.

I've only ran across 2 boxies randomly here in Ma. .I have a cpl places I know of though that have
good size populations.Never see them on the roads like down South.

Old 06-03-2010, 01:08 AM   #8
StrictlyExotics
Grats Amanda. Its really nice to see someone giving back to nature instead of taking.

Old 06-03-2010, 01:48 AM   #9
joseydiann
Thanks guys and yeah it has already been stripped where I live on mountain (like 20 years ago) and it's far from any roads so when they get old enough I'll let them go. I've did it before and they stayed in the area. I've come across them years later or they end up back in the yard years later lol. Pretty cool, I love the part of hatching them though and watching them grow..

Old 06-03-2010, 02:38 PM   #10
iasc300
Congrats looked like a fun night!

Join now to reply to this thread or open new ones for your questions & comments! FaunaClassifieds.com is the largest online community about Reptile & Amphibians, Snakes, Lizards and number one classifieds service with thousands of ads to look for. Registration is open to everyone and FREE. Click Here to Register!

Tags
boxie, laying eggs, turtle